Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

Enlightened
I haven't looked lately but if you have one up there the H.H. Gregg stores around here were selling the Eneloop 4xAA packs for like $7 or $7.50.

fishinfool

Enlightened
The main concerns would be:

1) High self discharge - How much capacity will they have left 1, 2, or more weeks after you charge them?

2) Lifetime - How quickly does the capacity decrease vs. time and number of cycles?

Well I'm almost at the end of a break-in mode of 4 of these new energizer 2300 nimh's, so I think I'll experiment with these and check their capacity with my ZTS MBT-1 battery tester once a week for several weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Lifetime? Well I started a spreadsheet for all my eneloop, energizer, and duracell nimh rechargeables. I've got each one numbered and we'll just have to wait and see how they all compare over time. So far I'm only keeping track of mAh and the difference in mAh compared to the last charge, R/A or break-in. Should I keep track of the voltage too? It seems like the voltages are the same most of the time and really don't change much.

InHisName

Enlightened
The main concerns would be:

1) High self discharge - How much capacity will they have left 1, 2, or more weeks after you charge them?

2) Lifetime - How quickly does the capacity decrease vs. time and number of cycles?
Yes and also the impedance of the cells increases and messes up the ability to deliver higher currents or even medium currents. Eventually only low currents give nearly the same capacity. The C9000 shows a brief number (1.68) on my AAA Duraloops right after starting to charge. Then the voltage shows 1.24 or what ever is normal at begining of charge. When it increases over 2.08 or so THEN you will see HIGH and it refuses to charge the cell. Need a lower pulsed current charger than the 2 amps.

To fishinfool, if you have a c9000, record the impedance test voltage for each cell and note changes over the long time. Keeping track of this will give you early warning of when a battery looses capacity at high current drains. :whistle:

thebeans

Newly Enlightened
Well i want to buy my first set of AA rechargeables, But i dont want to pay the shipping for the eneloops.

Is there any real difference in the quality of eneloops or the energizer rechargeables that i can get at walmart?

Or do you guys know where i can get some eneloops with free shipping?

Thanks,
Brian

Amazon has Enloops with free shipping. Not sure how their prices compare to others. $20.07 for 8 AA, $10.84 for 4 AA, $31.20 for a Power Pack which includes 8 AA, 2 AAA, 4 D and 4 C adapters, and a charger. Enloops

Thanol

Newly Enlightened
Just because it's made by Sanyo doesn't mean it's LSD - Low Self Discharge or "Eneloop." Does anyone know for sure whether Sanyo makes non-LSD NiMH batteries?

Note that "black top made in China" Duracell precharged, or Rayovac 4.0 batteries are only a little less good than Eneloops. They're much better than non-LSD NiMH batteries.

The materials that I saw on the 2300mah show that they don't retain charge as well as regular LSD's (I'm not sure what brand they used to benchmark) but the difference wasn't that huge (~5-10%) in comparison to the older 2450mah (which was at like <50% retained on the same graph).

Edit: I looked at the graphs again and at 6 months the new Energizer 2300mahs were estimated to be at 83% capacity and at 12 months 80%.

Last edited:

fishinfool

Enlightened
Yes and also the impedance of the cells increases and messes up the ability to deliver higher currents or even medium currents. Eventually only low currents give nearly the same capacity. The C9000 shows a brief number (1.68) on my AAA Duraloops right after starting to charge. Then the voltage shows 1.24 or what ever is normal at begining of charge. When it increases over 2.08 or so THEN you will see HIGH and it refuses to charge the cell. Need a lower pulsed current charger than the 2 amps.

To fishinfool, if you have a c9000, record the impedance test voltage for each cell and note changes over the long time. Keeping track of this will give you early warning of when a battery looses capacity at high current drains. :whistle:

How do I go about doing that? Do I need a dmm? Sorry but I still have A LOT to learn.

fishinfool

Enlightened

bstrickler

Enlightened
I have a pair of 4+ year old white Duracells that are still going. Still run for about 45-50 minutes in my AA^2 Quark, on max (about 2 amp draw). The other 4 I had were goners, unfortunately (maybe 30 seconds on high, before the light went out, and wouldn't take a charge after that).

Right now, I use the white Duracells, 2450 Energizers, and some 1600 mah green batteries (can't remember their name off the top of my head. But they're about as old as the Duracells, maybe older).

Don't buy the Energizer charger/battery combo! Those are POS chargers and cells. They're chinese cells, which dent VERY easily. My Quark tailspring dented the bottom of the cells. And that spring isn't as strong as some other AA lights I have. Plus, the charger sucks. Overcharges the batteries (1.65-1.7v), and causes em to get hot.

The 2450's are Japanese cells, and are much higher quality than their Chinese counterparts (think titanium vs aluminum in strength, and you have the quality comparison).

~Brian

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would these be comparable to Eneloops since they are made by Sanyo? I saw some of these at walmart while looking for duraloops. Thanks.

I just bought some Energizer Recharge AA cells which I have not seen before. They are 2300mah, made in Japan, and they claim to hold a charge better than their 2450mah cells over the course of a year. I bought some other Energizer 2300mah NIMH cells several months back that had similar claims, and they work great. They both were not labelled "precharged" or "LSD", but they definitely do not discharge quickly.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I have 8 of the New Energizer 2300 mAh rechargeables. On my BC-900 they all came in right on the money mAh wise, just like the Duraloops do. They are made in Japan, but obviously they are not LSD. Not much difference in mAh between 2000 to 2100 Duraloops and the 2300 Energizers, so the Duraloops are the much better deal in the long run.

fishinfool

Enlightened
I just bought some Energizer Recharge AA cells which I have not seen before. They are 2300mah, made in Japan, and they claim to hold a charge better than their 2450mah cells over the course of a year. I bought some other Energizer 2300mah NIMH cells several months back that had similar claims, and they work great. They both were not labelled "precharged" or "LSD", but they definitely do not discharge quickly.

I also bought a few of these new 2300's and so far they are great. I still have some older 2450's that I still use in remote controls plus I found a couple older 2200's that still hold a charge. All of them I noticed are made in Japan but I don't see anything that says Sanyo on any of them.

fishinfool

Enlightened
Here are the break-in numbers on the 8 energizer 2300's I bought 2-3 weeks ago:

2272, 2270, 2238, 2276, 2295, 2276, 2260, and 2267.

We'll see how they do after a few months of use.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

the energizer 2300s generally are good cells, I got about 20 of them about 5 years ago for about $6 a 4 pack on clearance when the 2500s came out. I recommend them as daily use or even monthly use cells if you can get them cheaper than duraloops on sale as they tend to discharge in about 3-6 months and have over half a charge left a month after charging which for most times is very useful. In a power outage I had a dozen of them I cycled through my car charger for 4 days powering a CCFL light and lantern here, they don't mind being charged fast either... 1-2 hour chargers are no problem.

fishinfool

Enlightened
I've been buying different nimh brands just to see how they compare to my eneloops over time. So far I have Powerex 2700's, Energizer 2450's, 2300's, 2200's, Duracell 2450's, 2000 regulars, 2000 duraloops, Rayovac platinum 2100's, and Diehard (Sears) 2000's. I've been keeping track of everything and anything about these batteries so we will see how they do over time.

Man, I think I need a life. :thinking:

07accordEX

Newly Enlightened
I've been buying different nimh brands just to see how they compare to my eneloops over time. So far I have Powerex 2700's, Energizer 2450's, 2300's, 2200's, Duracell 2450's, 2000 regulars, 2000 duraloops, Rayovac platinum 2100's, and Diehard (Sears) 2000's. I've been keeping track of everything and anything about these batteries so we will see how they do over time.

Man, I think I need a life. :thinking:

Just curious which you found to be best? I am looking into the Ansmann 2850's