Energizer Rechargeable Batteries

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I acknowledge that Eneloop batteries are the "King of the hill." However, I have seen some Energizer nimh batteries that run less than $2 each for AA. Anyone have experience with them?
Thanks,
Jerry

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Chazz,
I have some of the Duracell ion core. They are fine, but I was just wondering about the Energizer. They are also made in Japan, but I do not know by whom. I wondered if they were close to Eneloops.
Jerry

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jerry,

A few years back I had some Energizer 2300 and 2500 cells. They quickly developed high self discharge and I didn't keep them too long. The newer cells may be better but I don't have any for comparison.

Tom

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had bad experiences with the 2500 mAh cells they made years ago. However, over the last few years I have been using the 2300 mAh Recharge cells and they have worked every bit as good as my Eneloops and Duraloops. I am currently using 4 of them in my new Thrunite flashlight!

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I am convinced that the new black-topped "Made in Japan" Duracell Ion Core are generational (which?) eneloop clones, same as it has been determined with the white-topped "Made in Japan" Duracell Precharged, as opposed to the hybrid (black-topped?) "Made in China" variey Duracell.

So Energizer is a new frontier for me, even though as user above posted, my experience with the 2300/2500 mAh AA Energizer rechargeable is similar.

TIpS8Lt.png
<--this, however,

is not this-->
eHxbBjq.png

and I nearly bought a two-pack today of AAA 700mAh of the latter just to try them, just for the sake of being smarter than everyone. (jk!) I resisted. But that resistence may not last forever.

I have seen other users talk about the "good" Energizers, and wonder if these are them, and what they are, exactly, and would love to see some discharge graphs in comparison with our standard, if crusty, Eneloop proper.

Javora

Enlightened
Haven't tried Energizer yet but did try both Rayovac and Duracell AA batteries. Using my Nitecore D2 charger the Rayovac charges to 1.37 with all the batteries i've tried. The Duracell batteries charge up between 1.49 and 1.53. Not sure what to make of it yet.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am convinced that the new black-topped "Made in Japan" Duracell Ion Core are generational (which?) eneloop clones, same as it has been determined with the white-topped "Made in Japan" Duracell Precharged, as opposed to the hybrid (black-topped?) "Made in China" variey Duracell.

So Energizer is a new frontier for me, even though as user above posted, my experience with the 2300/2500 mAh AA Energizer rechargeable is similar.

TIpS8Lt.png
<--this, however,

is not this-->
eHxbBjq.png

and I nearly bought a two-pack today of AAA 700mAh of the latter just to try them, just for the sake of being smarter than everyone. (jk!) I resisted. But that resistence may not last forever.

I have seen other users talk about the "good" Energizers, and wonder if these are them, and what they are, exactly, and would love to see some discharge graphs in comparison with our standard, if crusty, Eneloop proper.

Energizer didn't start out well with their rechargeables but they did get better, they are not Eneloops or Duraloops for sure but they do fairly well for what i need it for. Actually my dad has some 2000mAh ones that are holding up really well.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the responses, folks. I think I will buy the Duracell ion core if I buy any more soon. They run about $2 ea on eBay.
Thanks,
Jerry

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the responses, folks. I think I will buy the Duracell ion core if I buy any more soon. They run about $2 ea on eBay.
Thanks,
Jerry

If you want them quicker, Walmart sells the 4 pack for $10.99. I would buy them there before Ebay.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

TIpS8Lt.png
<--this, however,

is not this-->
eHxbBjq.png

You are correct! The old 2500 mAh cells you show there are NOT the same as the 2300 Recharges in the other photo. I do not have technical data, but I can tell you from personal use, that I have not had any issues with the Recharges. They are not listed as precharged, or LSD cells, but they keep their charge for quite some time in my lights when I am not using them. The 2450 Duracells are my current favorite, and they are probably a notch above these in quality, but the Recharges are nevertheless, good batteries.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
The last 3 packs of batteries I picked up were duracell ion core. The AAA appear to be rebadged Eneloops, and the AA appear to be rebadged Eneloop Pro/XX's. They're $10.99 a four pack at walmart. That's a fair deal on the AAA's, and a hot deal on the AA's, in my opinion.

Energizer's current offerings *may* have improved, but when there's a duracell option for the same price, and they don't have energizer's checkered history with respect to their rechargeable offerings, you won't get me to gamble on the energizers unless I'm in a bind for cells and that's all that's available.

That being said, I'd love to know how their current offerings are doing, both in terms of cycle life and retaining original capacity, and in terms of self discharge.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price is very close, and I agree that Duracell ion core is the better buy and a pretty well known reputation.
Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful.
Jerry

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Duracell also has a more resiliant wrapper. Heat will cause pealing, but the metalic wrapper stands up to physical scraping much better than the laminated paper of other cells, IMO. idk if this is a concern, but worth noting if you're thinking about paying more for Eneloops.

idky no one has a seamless wrapper :/

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, Duracell is ideally best if you can get those. I had to get some Energizers to fit in one of my MiniMaglites and they perform as they should with a little bit of cycling but otherwise if you can get Duracell (or Eneloops..).

I would like to see some torture tests on the 2300mAh Energizers though. Not using mine, :lolsign:.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never bought Energizer ni-mh since i has two dozen 2500mah ones that went from full charge to empty in a week without being used, what a waste of money that was.

John.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I have never bought Energizer ni-mh since i has two dozen 2500mah ones that went from full charge to empty in a week without being used, what a waste of money that was.

John.

How long ago was that? I think though their LSD is nonexistent, the 2500 energizers are actually resilient to abuse, and can last a long time, taking a charge after years of storage. For all intensive purposes, they are NiCads. :p

I want to add Rayovac to the mix. I am really pleased with my HSD 600mAh Rayovac AAAs, considering how dirt cheap they were. I'm not as impressed with the AAs that came in the same package, they lose charge too fast for my bt keyboard, and not enough voltage for this. Now dedicated to Gerber Task light, which they perform fine in, due to the crazy Task light run times.

Because of my experience with the Chinese made Rayovak AAA , I last night I paid too much for a quad of 900mAh Rayovac "Recharge Plus" AAAs (are these the rayobrids? idk), same price locally as eneloop clones (ouch), but say "up to 100 charges." There is definitely something wrong with me.

Last edited:

CQ73

Newly Enlightened

John.

Oh, you got them to retain a use able charge more than 2 days? I've had terrible, awful, no good, very bad luck with Energizer AA rechargeable of both 2500 and 2450 mAh, but good luck with 700 mAh AAA and 2500 mAh D cells. I think the D cells have held a use able charge in my rarely used Maglite for over 2 years without doing anything.

suloh

Newly Enlightened
i am an Energizer user. so far.. so good.

TIpS8Lt.png
<--this, however,

is not this-->
eHxbBjq.png