Ever get into a contest with lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yesterday I found myself in a darkened area trying to find a ladder that would reach a device mounted 20 feet up on a wall. I brought a maintenance man over to assess the situation, and I used my Q-III to illuminate the area and point out the device.

He pulled out his incandescent flashlight with slightly tired batteries and placed a small, dim yellow splotch in the middle of my crisp white pool of light.

We both scanned the area around the device with our lights, and each time he wound up shining his weak incandescent in the same place that I placed my Q-III beam.

I found this puzzling at the moment, especially since he kept his light on the entire time, even though it was being drowned out by mine. Afterwards I realized that this might have been interpreted by him as a pi**ing contest over lights, and he was refusing to accept defeat. The odd thing was that he made no comment about the Q-III.

What do you think? A potential flashaholic? :huh:

Last edited:

Macaw

Enlightened
Re: Ever get into a pi**ing contest with lights?

Too bad you weren't carrying something like a Surefire U2. That really would have given him flashlight envy.:naughty:

VWTim

Enlightened

I do it sometimes. When at work someone will have the almost dead Mag2D looking at something on an engine and call me over to look. I grab my Strion and light up the area and look at what they're showing me. Most of the guys there just turn their lights off at that point, not my boss....he'll keep using that Mag like it actually works.

paulr

Flashaholic

I don't think it was that. He was just following his reflex of pointing a light at something to see it better, never mind there was another light on it already. It's like entering an elevator and pressing the button for your floor, even though the button is already lit from someone else having pressed it already.

CLHC

Flashaholic

He may be light-sight deficient. . .Kind of like what used to be called color blind. Anyhow, don't know. . .

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, a U2 would have been great! You could have said "hold on while I turn it down to your level" :crackup:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

I once gave a ride home to a train rider who was accustomed to walking home from the train station. I told him that he should walk with a flashlight.

"Oh, I do!" he said. "It's real powerful--a halogen!"

When I dropped him off, we compared beams. His turned out to be an LED from Home Depot. My Digilight T9 made it look pathetic.

I felt terrible. I wouldn't have shown him mine, had I known his beam was so weak.

quokked

Enlightened

I was playing with the low A2 beam whilst walking home from a tube station.
Then this guy was walking towards me and he pulls out his little incan light, it was kinda like a miners light, square looking...
Of course being my A2 on low I just give it another half twist and bright it onto high power, lit the entire guy up at that range, wasn`t feeling evil enough to hit him in the eyes with the A2 beam...
*takes out his A2 and fondles it a bit*

tron3

Banned

I'm still trying to figure out what are the two missing letters in pi**ing?
Is it SS? That doesn't make much sense to me.

As for that guy, some people are just oblivious to certain stimuli. Maybe he thought he needed new batteries, or has trouble seeing without a yellow light.

Tough call.

IonFire

Enlightened

Lol, never heard that expression before tron3?

It is quite old and basically means competition over nothing really.

And yes, my boss has done this too, insisting on using his old mag whilst my lights were obviously lighting up the subject more then needed really.
After some years he has come around to just asking for mine now, does this when i or someone else is already holding the light, as if he can see better if he holds it, what ever makes the big man happy.

It is a low level power struggle lol.

IF

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

yea the incan light provided some sickly yelow color to the mix

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened

some incans really do look like they´re in a pi**ing contest! with the yellowish beam!:laughing:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

i just run for my Mag85 to silence all :D

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

tron3 said:
I'm still trying to figure out what are the two missing letters in pi**ing?
Is it SS? That doesn't make much sense to me.

You know, you and your buddy both have to "go" and you see who's stream will reach the farthest. I'm pretty sure, this is something I used to do as a kid.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

A buddy of mine was showing off a Surefire E1L that he got as a gift a while back, flashing the light onto walls etc, so I pulled out my L0D-CE with 10440 and turned it onto high alongside. His response: "yours is brighter, but mine's a real Surefire..."

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Had someone with one of those cheap multi-LED flashlights try to say that his was brighter compared to my L1D because his had more LED's :ohgeez:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I knew someone who said that their single 5 mm Led light was brighter than my 3 Watt
blaster. His car stereo is louder than the Kiss rock concert, his home computer is faster than a Super computer, so I asked him to show me the light, it was just your Typical
5 mm 3AAA light.

Status
Not open for further replies.