• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, M

Will you be offering any modules with 3W LSs?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could you sum up (or post a pointer to a summary)

Badboy and MadMax --
it's Ok to use either of these with 2x AA rechargeable, right? (I remember a caution, somewhere, that a MadMax could if allowed to completely deplete a rechargeable pull its voltage so low it might flip polarity and ruin the cell -- and so recharging when it begins to dim is needed.

And -- not OK to use either module in say a Brinkmann 3x AA light, right?

I'm starting to need a three-dimensional relational database to keep track of all the pieces ...

Flatscan

Enlightened

Wow, old thread.

3xAA alkaline, at 1.5V nominal each, has a high nominal voltage, but alkalines drop a lot under load, so it might actually be okay.

3xAA NiMH, at 1.2V nominal (1.25V fresh off the charger, but that drops quickly), is probably right around the Vf of the Lux. If Vin > Vf, I think this situation is similar to running a BB/NG with LiOn. If Vin < Vf (pretty high Vf, L bin should be good), then it's perfectly okay.

Edited to add: (with relevant number bolded above)
The batteries come hot off the charger more like 1.45V, according to this thread. The Vf bin would need to be revised up also.

RCatR

Enlightened
I may have missed it somewhere in here, but what is the maximum current output from the BadBoy Rev4?

I was going to attempt to wire one up in a 1.4A-ish setup(with crazy heatsinking), but if that will fry the board then i'll settle for a 900mA or 750mA setup.

Latest posts