• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed this on the sandwich shoppe site:

Upcoming Products Date Expected
Madmax Module kit 07/31/2003
Madmax Module kit w/Q3L 07/31/2003

Is that the case? They are preordered, not in stock?

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I think the current crop of MadMax modules were configured with higher output. Wayne has renamed them MadMax+. You can buy them right now. Too bright & hot? You can always dim them with the trim pot. The only negative for people who want the original MadMax output is that MM+ costs $3 more.

I don't know if the 7/31 date is a committed delivery or just "out there" far enough for Wayne to gauge ongoing interest in the original MadMax.

Comment from Wayne?

Can't wait for the MM+Q3 to arrive! It shipped yesterday. I wonder if Maglite has an appreciation for how many Minimags Wayne is selling for them, and how many bulbs & misc. parts are ending up in the trash.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the MM story as of today.

It finally sunk into my thickhead that when I was developing the Madmax, that I had choosen a slightly different inductor and that the current one was did not put out as much. Figuring this was no big deal, I made the change to material list and moved on.

So, currently, everything will be MM+. But, *hmm* *uh* *Ohoh*, I *Ummm* suppose I could set up the next run and have some built with the new inductor and some with the old.

The 7/31 for the old MM is just a target. I'd have to move now, if I really want to build some of the original MM.

Thanks Dave, you explanation is right on the target.

Should I start another thread to guage interest? gage? gauge? guage? Hmmm, none of these look correct... O, maybe it's gag.

Wayne

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
muahahahaha.....
Thanks Wayne,
I received my BB400 w/ q3l & McFlood today, and put them in a brinkmann 2AA.

Oh man.., it is a beauty!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I am a happy man.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I got my MadMax+Q3 module today. There is a runtime plot in the Reviews Forum. Out of the box (no adjustments)the MadMax+ is about 22% brighter than my MadMax adjustable that is cranked up as bright as I could get it.

Does anyone know if the current drain on the battery is linear or logarithmic as compaired with the light output? My Madmax Adj. has a runtime of close to three hours while the MadMax+ has a runtime of 75 minutes. I did use different batteries. I quess I could have found the magic spot when I messed with the MadMax Adj.

BrightLight

Newly Enlightened
Since the BB500 w/ Q3 wasn't available, I bought them separately. Now I need to learn how to replace the led in a BB500 with a Q3. I didn't see any advice on dat2zip's website; can someone help?

Note: I'm a software type. Hardware is the stuff that hurts when it falls on my foot. It does that a lot.

I'm possibly competent with a soldering iron, for a very small value of "competent". Do I have a chance?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, M

Brightlight,
I snapped a lead off of my Luxeon on the BB500 in Iraq and sort of repaired it. Just got back and ordered the BB400 Q3 kit and another Q LED for the BB500. When I get the parts in, the surgery will commence on the BB500 to see how it goes. The Brinkmann will be the the BB400 Q /McFlood optics holder for my EDC. The BB500 Q will go back on my bicycle helmet to blind drivers that attempt to run me over. Now to get one of those Elektrolumens 30mm optics to fit for some serious throw!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I tested my MM+ against my MM today. Really hard to tell difference in output. I do not have a decent lux tester. Both lights were tested using 2000mAh Maha batteries, a simple light meter and a digital volt meter. The MM+ lost high brightness between 21/4 and 21/2 hours. The MM lasted, at high brightness, 31/2 hrs. MM+ got warm, but not too hot to handle. I did test in 1/2 hour increments. I tested the MM+ at 2 1/4 hours and it was still very bright. At end of the test, voltage was 1.14, each cell for the MM+, and 1.12 volts each cell for the MM. Both lights were still fairly bright when I turned them off. Again this was a simple test of brightness and voltage between MM and MM+. Bill

BrightLight

Newly Enlightened

BentHeadTX, how do you do the surgery on a BB500 to replace the led? Is it just pull/push, or is something more required?

What body/head do you use with it? (I have it in a 2xAA minimag now; would that take the Elektrolumens 30mm optics?)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bright,
You replace the LED with a soldering iron, kind a a pain but do-able. I use the Brinkmann Legend LX 2AA with it now, I find it has thicker walls to cool it better and the stock tailswitch is a bonus.
The 30mm optics are huge! It would require machining down the head so the optics would be supported and an extension made to hold it. Kind of a pain but I have a spare minimag laying around. I am not sure the low dome Luxeon is the correct one to use, but I can try it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my MadMax+ Q3 today. Very brilliant, very white.
I could tell the diffenence from memory between this and my burned-up MadMax standard. I also dremeled down the tab on both my old and new collimators, so they sit in the head flatter, and much more in alignment. I think this makes a difference in how much light is collected by the collimator, and must make it brighter, and improve beam alignment, too.
I put it in my older MiniMag, because the new one has too much slop with the new MadMax+, and it can move over to the side enough to contact the luxeon leads. Beware of this on your newer MiniMags, "Try it, don't fry it".

<font color="blue">Wayne, I sent you an email regarding the burned MadMax standard, per your request. </font>

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

My bb400 Q3L just arrived; awesome! Couple of questions, though...

It doesn't shut off unless screwed down really tight. A bit too tight to suit me. I saw an earlier post about changing the o rings. Where does one get them and at what price? (remembering that a new MM host is only $8). Is there another solution?

Also, what is the experienced runtime for this unit on alkalines? I've seen 2, 3 and 4 hrs reported...

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Also, what is the experienced runtime for this unit on alkalines? I've seen 2, 3 and 4 hrs reported...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to sound snotty (not this time, at least) but there is reason for this wide range. It depends on your batteries and on your usage. Your best bet to find the answer for YOUR situation is to load up your light with the batteries in question and fire it up. Then start counting. And each time you get to 60, put a hash mark on your desk. At the end of the day, count all the hash marks, and you should have some good data along with a day of zero productivity.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 2,3,4 hours you see are probably more than likely because they're figures of regular alkalines, NiMHs and Lithiums... Lithiums will power this guy beyond 4 hours of use. But cheap alkalines will probably crap out at 2.5 hours... NiMHs can give you, depending on the capacity of the cells, anywhere from the same runtime of alkalines to 3.5 hours with 2.2Ah NiMHs...

In short, YMMV...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. How about the solution for turning it off without screwing it to death? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif