EXTREMELY Rare Lights... Let's See Them!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
My rare brass, Cu, bronze, and mokume gane lights.

Front row L to R:

Rare brass ARC AAA UV (ultraviolet) light
Aeon III mokume gane CR2
Art Steigerwald bronze "The Sphere" AA/10440, only a few made
One of a kind Mac's brass Knurly 18350
TnC 1 of 5 PR-AR CR123A

Back row L to R:

One of a kind Photon Fanatic custom mokume gane CR2
Mr. Bulk Lion Cub brass host CR2
One of a kind Mac alumibronze 18350
Sinner mokume gane 18350
Mr. Bulk brass Dragonheart 18500

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I was hoping you'd post yours. It's an interesting geographic coincidence that 2 of the 5 live within 40 miles of each other. :)

jclubbn5

Newly Enlightened
9bc18fdb18df3937bbd560e5ee91374f.jpg
hanko trident and okluma tiny dc both in damascus

easilyled

Flashaholic
^ Beautiful lights jclubbn5. Which do you prefer, or is that an impossible question? The Okluma seems to have a very dramatic contrast between the 2 different steels which is very attractive.

jclubbn5

Newly Enlightened
Thank you easilyled and str8stroke! Ya that's definitely a hard question I like them both and carry them both alot! I don't think I could choose a favorite

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
I've posted this before, but my rarest light is my oldest... circa 1914, French Flasher by the French Battery & Carbon Company.

80u5nfR.jpg

yfZ7hRK.jpg

gJAMpw1.jpg

Wb9Mmvb.jpg

And yes, it works with the original bulb, over 100 years old. Some corrosion on the contact "flasher" switch means I had to use a jumper cable.

QnpkI15.jpg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted this before, but my rarest light is my oldest... circa 1914, French Flasher by the French Battery & Carbon Company.

And yes, it works with the original bulb, over 100 years old. Some corrosion on the contact "flasher" switch means I had to use a jumper cable.

Nice. I'm pretty sure Jean Paul Sartre and Albert Camus used these.;-) I have seen them before, but never realize how big they were.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Great score Jason J!!!

If that light could talk it would say "thank you whoever did not store those awful leakers in me 102 years ago."
Most lights like that one are long gone because even the slightest leak would wipe out the body of those type. Lots of vulcanite and metal ones of the day survived but yours is a 9.9 rarity on a 1-10 scale, ten being the rarest. I say lots but it's likely only a few hundred remain... yours can be measured in 'dozens' remaining.

Me, personally I'd be hard pressed not to de-oxidize that switch but good on you for leaving it as is.

My rare light collection is fairly small but I'm proud. I like the rich history behind them.

Just added the Soldier Boys to the World War issue collection.
Left are the Eveready/Daylo soldier boys in officer and enlisted man flavor.
An early version of the TL 122A may have seen action in WW1, but was in full production by WW2.
A TL 122B was it's replacement. Not easy to find but many survived.
The plastic in the TL122 C put out an awful odor when removing the tailcap so most were simply thrown away after the war.

The Burgess Range Finder and a Delta map reader.
The 2D cell Range Finder was popular in 2 cell configuration but the 3 cell variety are pretty scarce.
Delta made lanterns. But at some point gained a contract with the US Navy to supply map readers to bombadiers in WW2 and Korea.

One of PK's early post SureFire designs..
The FoxFury PK-1. Back then people said "that's ridiculous... wth!" Now collectors say "dawg gonnit I wish I'd bought one."

Some early Streamlight units.
Streamlight was over 10 years old when these were made but were still small.
The top one, a 2 double A twist head is pretty scarce. I call it 'the corn cob light' when it's in its 90° configuration... mainly because I have not been able to find out what Streamlight called it.
The 2 triple A pocketmate was enough Mag-like to raise the ire of Tony Maglica.
So was the 1 triple A keymate. When Tony sued and won they were no longer produced and nearly shut down Streamlight all together.

Side bar: The US government contracted Streamlight to supply them Scorpions, which provided enough revenue to stay afloat. See, Streamlight had provided NASA 5 million candle power lights in 1973 so the government had a soft spot for them. Even though the Scorpion was pretty much a 6P clone in many ways the government bought a bunch of both.
End sidebar.

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened

QnpkI15.jpg

Amazing. Any chance of seeing a close up of the bulb?

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
^^ this x2

I'll see about removing the bulb, or at least the lens tonight, and take new photos. You guys will die at how thick the lens is!

In the meantime, I have this head on shot, but it's too hard to see the bulb itself, so I'll get better shots tonight and post them up!

Thanks for the comments bykfixer... I hadn't really thought that this light would be THAT rare.. however I've never seen another one in my life, anywhere, online or in person. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

vaGA1P2.jpg