Eye health; macular/retina damage; blindness: blue light!

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eye health; macular/retina damage; blindness:

450 nanometers (blue) is the current threshold at which cataract implant lenses are being tested to block the frequencies that may speed up macular degeneration, according to the British Medical Journal recently.

That's high-energy blue light -- photons that are energetic enough to knock an electron off an atom, and so change a chemical bond or produce a free radical that can go on to damage other molecules.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i don't think i need to worry..
i only stare @ LED's for a second @ a time.. (the blinding test y'know?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

night.hoodie

Enlightened

This ancient thread covers what we knew, that blue light blinds. But now, they discovered how blue light blinds. Hope this is the at least the beginning of the end of ubiquitous blue-laden cool white emitters! When all this time you thought CW is helping you see better for longer, it is actually serving to permanently blind you. The study is online here.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had this condition that scared me. One of the eyes became blurry. With contact lenses. So I took them out. Took them out. Still blurry. Now time to get concerned.

to make a long story short, the gist of it, if you overwear contact lenses, your eyes starve for oxygen. And develop this condition where things turn blurry, hyperoxia or something to that effect.

I always wore dailies, they are thin and let through a lot of oxygen. I tried a 2-week lense and it's much thicker, did not let through as much oxygen as daily. And that's what caused it.

Bluriness went away after 4 hours. Now that was a long 4 hours.