health precautions to help a horder clean there home?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you end up going in there to do any work, that's all good advice. I'd go with a half-face respirator (like 3M 6000 series) w/P100 cartridges due to the amount of particulates (dust, mold spores, etc.) you'll likely encounter. I think I picked mine up at HD or similar store, so they're not hard to find. Mold spores can be harmful, and one can catch hantavirus from rodent waste.
Agreed. P100 respirators will have considerably more surface area and are more suited to actual labor over time than N95 masks.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
btw i have no idea how i get my self in these things lol
You might have to learn to say no more often. I've never minded helping people occasionally with things they can't tackle alone. If it starts to become a habit, or if they ask me to do things they're just too lazy to do themselves, I have to draw the line. I also have to draw the line at major projects like the one you were asked to do. If I did something requiring that much effort, unless it was for an immediate family member, I'd want to be paid for my trouble. In some cases, I'd flat out say no, regardless. Cleaning up a hoarder's filthy home where there are likely to be vermin, mold, mildew, and pathogens is one of those times. If you continue to stay involved, tell her you need help, lots of it. This is far too big a job for one person to tackle. And make sure she pays for any equipment you have to buy, even if she gets the labor for free.

Finally, please insist that she gets help, or the house will be right back in that state within a few years.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't go in there without a full body hazmat type suit (plastic hoodie, gloves, and pants minimum) as well as a good respirator. There may be rats in there depositing their feces and flies and other insects getting on said feces. Those insects can bite you and give you all sorts of nasty diseases. Cover up and you won't get bit. In any type of first aid type situation, you would be trained to check the scene first, then check the victim. You can't help someone if you approach a dangerous situation without watching out for your own safety first. Assume the area is dangerous and take precautions. Make sure the person you're helping is in the right state of mind to want your help. If they get violent or aggressive, you may have to back away from the situation and let the authorities take over. Make sure there are witnesses to your helping. If things go south, it could blow up in your face if accusations of theft are raised when you throw out the wrong thing.

chip100t

Enlightened
Does she have the money to pay a professional company to do this, if not are there any charitable organisations who can help her given that she is not allowed home because the state of her home is a serious health and safety risk.

JimNSULaw17

Newly Enlightened
If she's belligerent, without being violent, about throwing stuff out, tell her she can keep 100 items. If she hits 100 and wants something else, then she has to lose 1 item from her 'stash'. Obviously, if you come across something of value that she is willing to part with, out it in a 'sell' pile and give her the $ from the sale.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

In life; it's easy to ask, much harder to say no

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

raggie, if you haven't already told her you cannot, don't wait,,
by not responding, it will give her the indirect answer of 'maybe'
(my guess is, she's already told authorities she has lined someone up to clean it)

...see where this is going.:caution:

She has to be told what the land only is worth at this time.

Rickajho

Newly Enlightened
Unless you have a psych. background that specializes in hoarding you should probably stay out of it. You will most likely end up going nowhere slowly for years. And it sounds like the powers that be aren't going to allow for years at this point.

https://hoarding.iocdf.org/about-hoarding/

Check the Find Help section but be aware unless you are legally connected to this person there isn't a lot you can "push" on her.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what a mess ive never seen anyone work so hard and not do anything productive . im not even joking i could do 5 times as much work in a hour as they do just buy working smart not hard lol