(fake?) MNKE IMR 26650 4000mAh test

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MNKE IMR 26650 4000mAh test

Where are you getting 2400mah imr 18650's from?

i dont thinK MNKE makes these. It's a typical chinese oem that can have any label on them if you buy in bulk

whatever mnke company is, they probably bought 1000 units and asked oem make them MNKE...

and you should know better than to believe manufacturer/reseller than a comparison test here :)

Exactly, it's like vehicle batteries. There are only a few companies in the whole world that make them but each re-seller has their own specs, case and name. Just because one company makes 10 different 26650 batteries, does not mean they will all perform the same.

That is the reason I believe what I was told about the blue label and the orange label but will not know for sure until I have these orange labeled batteries tested.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where are you getting 2400mah imr 18650's from?

i dont thinK MNKE makes these. It's a typical chinese oem that can have any label on them if you buy in bulk

whatever mnke company is, they probably bought 1000 units and asked oem make them MNKE...

and you should know better than to believe manufacturer/reseller than a comparison test here :)

gigainternational on CPF is selling 18650 2400 "IMR" batteries. Although I bet either the capacity is not as advertised or its not really no IMR cell.

I may try to get some real MNKE cells directly from the company to test out. They have about 4 different versions of 26650 from 3500-4000mah and frome cycle life from 300-1000 cycles. Also discharge current from 15-25A.

moviles

Enlightened

with this 26650 batteries I got a little bit more current draw than the aw 18650 imr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niw6or2lRAY

I have used thick wires (the standard tester wires have high resistance):

thick wires vs standard tester wires:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz3fQJU4RZ0

2h3beya.jpg

but I dont have your tools, you have tested the other 26650 and the aw26500?

maybe the aw 26500 imr will be good option for mod the uf c88 with sst-90

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just bought 2 @ MNKE 4000 mAh 26650 IMRs and 2 @ Batteryspace 4000 mAh IMRs from Nailbender. I initially hesitated on purchasing the MNKE's due to this thread, but Dave assured me that he noticed no appreciable difference between the Batteryspace and MNKE cells.

I've tested one of each type at the 337 mA discharge rate which is the only rate which can be executed on my older MAHA MH-C777PlusII charger. The discharge routine automatically cuts off at 3.0V I was very happy to observe that the MNKE delivered 4269 mAh while the Batteryspace delivered 4013 mAh. The voltage drops during discharge appeared proportional.

I'm using a pair of these 26650's in a Nailbender D Mag Mod with SST-50 driven at up to 5.0A with and H6CC paired with a D2Flex on a Mac's custom heat sink. All the parts work together impressively.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MNKE 26650 batteries that Dave has are different from the blue labeled MNKE 26650's that were tested in this thread. You received orange labeled 26650 batteries, correct?

I just bought 2 @ MNKE 4000 mAh 26650 IMRs and 2 @ Batteryspace 4000 mAh IMRs from Nailbender. I initially hesitated on purchasing the MNKE's due to this thread, but Dave assured me that he noticed no appreciable difference between the Batteryspace and MNKE cells.

I've tested one of each type at the 337 mA discharge rate which is the only rate which can be executed on my older MAHA MH-C777PlusII charger. The discharge routine automatically cuts off at 3.0V I was very happy to observe that the MNKE delivered 4269 mAh while the Batteryspace delivered 4013 mAh. The voltage drops during discharge appeared proportional.

I'm using a pair of these 26650's in a Nailbender D Mag Mod with SST-50 driven at up to 5.0A with and H6CC paired with a D2Flex on a Mac's custom heat sink. All the parts work together impressively.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, the cells I received from Dave were orange. They are also labeled as 3.8V rather than the 3.7V I now see on the link.

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, the cells I received from Dave were orange. They are also labeled as 3.8V rather than the 3.7V I now see on the link.

I believe the orange labeled MNKE's batteries are either the better version or the real version. I'm not sure where the blue labeled version actually comes from. I have been using my orange labeled version for a few weeks now and they perform well but I have not used them in a high amp draw situation yet.

I'm going to send a few off and have them tested side by side with the batteryspace.com 26650's. I have two new batteryspace 26650 and a few new orange labeled MNKE 26650's. Hopefully with them both being new, the test results will show how they really perform.

Jamestang

Newly Enlightened

Bugger! I just bought 3 of these to use in a hotwire, and was expecting to draw 8A from them.

This is very disappointing.
Reply:
There are many FAKE MNKE IMR cells in the normal markets. They are usually in Blue PVC Coating, and with MNKE printed. This kind of FAKE MNKE is easily seen, and easily Faked.

The original MNKE Li-ion power cells are in orange yellow, with logo of "MNKE" and IMR18650 or 26650, plus MH46698, CE,ROHS on.

You should find the right channels to get the Real MNKE IMR18650, IMR26650. Please confirm your 3 cells are Blue ones?
You are just disappointing with the FAKE MNKE cells.

B.R.
James

Jamestang

Newly Enlightened

These aren't the same as the Batteryspace LiMnNi 4000mAh 26650's are they?

MNKE lithium power cells are not LiMnNi.

There are mostly three kind of Lithium power cells:
1, LiFePo4, like the A123 and Valance in the USA.
2, Li-CoNiMn, maybe you are talking about this. Not stable enough.Because its R&D purpose is to combine these three materials' advantages together, like the high-capacity of LiCoO2 & LiNiO2, high discharging current/drain of LiMn2O4. But, in fact, this combine is also combine the weekness of these three kinds of materials. Especial the low safety performance of LiCoO2 and LiNiO2 at high-discharging-current, aplus the low cycle life of pure LiMnO2.
Considering on the safety, the capacity is lower, like Sanyo 18650 power cells: 1100mAh, 1200mAh
If the capacity is 2000mAh, the recycle and high-discharging current performance will be terrible.

3, New LiMn2O4, not pure LiMn2O4. But its performance has been improved with other special materials, to gain a higher capacity, longer recycle life, maintaining the high-discharging current. MNKE should be like this material. In past, the Moli(Canada) do such products, and MNKE's leading experts have been working there for long times, said over 20 years based on their company website.

For high-power flashlight-using, the heat-relese should be a problem, so, you need the high-current IMR cells.

B.R.
James

Last edited:

mwa102464

Newly Enlightened
They are totally fake with those results, there seems to be a thing going on where there are numerous Batts being relabeled and sold as something else right now, I have seen it happen on another forum where batts had a manufactures markings on the outside blue cover yet when the cover was taken off they surely where not that manufacturers Batts. Be careful and buy your Batts from the most reputable dealers right now.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have experience with these alleged mnke from here?

I like a good deal but getting fake batts for a $300 dropin is just silly

Mattattack

Newly Enlightened
i hope production picks up on some REAL IMR 26650 4000mAh, there seems to be a pretty significant demand for them.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
i hope production picks up on some REAL IMR 26650 4000mAh, there seems to be a pretty significant demand for them.

The only company that made them has stopped making them. Hopefully we will see a new manufacturer making them soon.

mikevelarde

Enlightened
My China based friend called the company that made the "GENUINE"MNKE 26650 4000mah cell last week , and informed me that the company is not closed and they still made the 26650 cell but the minimum quantities that they entertain is 1,000 pcs per order.That is the reason why the "GENUINE" MNKE cell disappear from most internet vendor.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds correct; all of the manufacturers think in terms of 1000 which is probably a production run large enough to justify the setup costs

Thanks for the info!!

357mag1

Enlightened
Just finished testing of MNKE IMR 26650 4000mAh batteries sold here in the marketplace.

They are advertised as "IMR LiMN" so some may think that they are high-current capable. Unfortunately they doesn't seem to be really high-current li-ion cells. Based on the performance I would say that they are just common LiCoO cells.

edit: Please note, that batteries sold by gigainternational.com are probably fake MNKE cells and not the real ones...

mnke26650eng.png

Comparison with top 18650 li-ion batteries and unprotected Xtar D li-ion.
mnke26650vsothers.png

I just saw this post. I have about 15 of these cells from various places (FiveMega, Lighthound, and Battery Space). I've conducted test at 2 and 3 amps and my 2amp test mirror these almost exactly. I thought a member on here tested these and got better results but none of the cells I have tested any higher than 3120mah at 2amps draw and some tested as low as 2960mah.

I've tested 4 of the 4Sevens cells that are suppose to be for their S12 Maelstrom light at 2amp discharge and all tested over 4000mah. Unfortunately the protection circuitry seems to keep them from working in my Mag85 which only draws about 3.4amps with three fresh batteries. I will have to do some experimenting and see if there is just a problem cell or if all the cells are limited below this level.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
My China based friend called the company that made the "GENUINE"MNKE 26650 4000mah cell last week , and informed me that the company is not closed and they still made the 26650 cell but the minimum quantities that they entertain is 1,000 pcs per order.That is the reason why the "GENUINE" MNKE cell disappear from most internet vendor.

Interesting, because I've been in direct contact with the company, and was told the 4000mAh cells are no longer being produced, and that the only 3500mAh cells can be purchased and have gone up in price considerably. MNKE was acquired by a Chinese solar company.

mikevelarde

Enlightened
Interesting, because I've been in direct contact with the company, and was told the 4000mAh cells are no longer being produced, and that the only 3500mAh cells can be purchased and have gone up in price considerably. MNKE was acquired by a Chinese solar company.

Have you try asking your direct contact if they will do another run on the 4,000mah 26650 cell and what is their minimum quantities for that special run?

I did ask and that is the answer I got from them.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you try asking your direct contact if they will do another run on the 4,000mah 26650 cell and what is their minimum quantities for that special run?

I did ask and that is the answer I got from them.

Yes I have asked, and they will NOT make 4000mAh anymore. It's now a discontinued product and they recently sold off the last of the 4,000mAh cells left in stock.

Generally speaking with a battery manufacturer they will not do a "special" or "custom" run unless you agree to purchase upwards of 10k pcs.

------------

On another note, I've heard a new manufacturer is working on 4000mAh 26650 IMR's that will be released hopefully in the next few months. We'll see...