Fake Panasonic CR123 Explosion

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lithium PANASONIC CR123 Explosion

While unregulated lights draw less current from the batteries
as the batteries get weaker (because the light gets dimmer)
regulated lights hit the batteries harder the weaker they get. To pull the same
power out at a lower voltage requires more and more current.
When the batteries have almost nothing left, and are at greatest risk of being
reverse-charged is when the regulator is pulling the maximum current.

Perhaps the regulation circuitry tries too hard.

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened

AndyTiedye said:
While unregulated lights draw less current from the batteries
as the batteries get weaker (because the light gets dimmer)
regulated lights hit the batteries harder the weaker they get. To pull the same
power out at a lower voltage requires more and more current.
When the batteries have almost nothing left, and are at greatest risk of being
reverse-charged is when the regulator is pulling the maximum current.

Perhaps the regulation circuitry tries too hard.

The cell was used with a 9P incendescent with P91

Illum

Flashaholic

coucoujojo said:
The cell was used with a 9P incendescent with P91

And almost all the incidents are based on unregulated lights...about 5 incandescent and 1 led incident...

I believe the regulator unit actually helps to prevent this by limiting the current cells output, unlike unregulated lights where the resistance diminishes as the filament heats up...causing more current to pass through:ohgeez:and higher levels of discharge per unit time.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 9P is an alloy light. The hot P91 could have overheated the cell through the alloy body. The cell couldn't take the heat and explodes? This is my idea. I am glad it didn't explode when handling them. I learn now, not to touch hot cells.

Please check this link for the specification of the white Panasonic CR123, the maximum operating temperature is +70C or 158f.

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr21pz.cgi?E+BA+3+AAA4005+4++WW

Last edited:

luigi

Enlightened

I don't think operating temperature is the real issue, all the incidents are related to 2 cell lights, never happened with a single cell, if it were just the overheating we would have some single cells pocket rockets exploding. Many one cell lights get very very hot and nothing happens.

Luigi

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Koala,

One interesting thing I noticed from the Panasonic link is that the CR123 cells seem to be designed to withstand a 25 mA abnormal charge. I am not sure if that also applies to a reverse charge, but I wonder how much of a mismatch is needed to get to this.

Tom

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My CR123 just blow up with dark smokes!!

LED61 said:
Coucoujojo, by this you mean you completely ran down the batteries ? absolutely no more light ? or just big dimming ?

FYI, if you run the batteries until there is absolutely no more light you are abusing the battery as per Duracell engineers words and is a big no no. And this is even worse if the cells have just undergone high amp draw rate and heat. The batteries continue to heat as there is nothing left and then probably the delayed bang!!

Your talking disposable battery's here. So people are supposed to throw them away before there is no more light? Make no sense to me.

If the battery's PTC was functioning properly then you should have nothing to worry about.

It seems all CR123 manufactures need to test there cells to the limit before releasing them. There should be measures put in place so even if a cell was shorted they should not vent with flames.

Mac

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought I´d post what a duracell 123 goes through in this testing, all kinds of abuse: short circuit, heating above 300F, what not. And despite Duracells engineer warning of running down a cell constitutes an abuse, it should not cause fire or explosion as can be seen in extensive testing here.

http://www.duracell.com/oem/primary/Lithium/safety.asp#design

This is also confirmed by the engineer at Duracell that they have not had explosions. True, these are probably the best cells around especially in current draws of 2.5A as demonstrated by SilverFox recent testing.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Mac,

Battery manufacturers do test to the limits. However, they don't test marginal conditions.

The BatteryStation cells are UL listed. They do the same tests that Duracell does, and pass the same criteria. We have taken cells and shorted them without incident. We have completely drained a cell and hooked it up with completely full cells and have not had any problems.

The testing that NewBie did revealed a special "recipe" to get a cell to explode. You have to follow it step by step. If you make any substitutions, it does not work.

You start with an ambient temperature of around 80 F. Then you drain roughly 20% from a new cell, and hook it up with one that has not been used. Then you need a thermal barrier to keep the cell heat in, such as a foil tube, or a flashlight body. Then you need to discharge at a current that empties the cell in 1 hour or less with an incandescent light. Finally, you need to NOT shut the light off when the lamp goes out.

That is the recipe for the Titanium, BatteryStation, and a few other cells. If you follow it, things go boom. If you deviate, they usually won't.

I am sure that no battery manufacturer tests according to these strict parameters, however it is still not known what "adjustments" need to be made to get the brand name cells to blow. I have heard of isolated cases of all brands of cells having problems, so it is just a matter of getting things "just right."

Tom

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened

WoW! i usually use Japanese-made cells, now gotta be careful and be choosy.

before CPF, i didn't even know that 123 can be dangerous.

at least i am now a learned person with regards to 123

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a most interesting observation.

I once a Malkoff M60 in a 9P to drain 123s down to almost 0. As an experiment, I kept them running until the lite looked like cigarrete light, barely visible at all. Nothing happened.

Thank you very much for posting.

Jay T

Enlightened

No one noticed what was printed on the cells?

"Matsushita Elestric"

Panaboom.jpg

Do a search on "elestric", Fake cells.

foxtrot29

Enlightened

No one noticed what was printed on the cells?

"Matsushita Elestric"

Panaboom.jpg

Do a search on "elestric", Fake cells.

That is funny s*it, I noticed the same thing on page one immediately and noticed this was an old thread, so I started scrolling through to see if anyone else had posted! Lo and behold, and it was just found today?? hahaha

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Old thread but it's important I point out to people around here who don't know - the "Elestric" means the cells are *counterfeit* panasonics! Look around at other threads.

mdocod

Flashaholic

Any way a moderator could edit the thread title here so as not to be spreading mis-information?

Thank You,
-Eric

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Time out! Time Out!!!!!

I thought these problems occur with lower quality brand CR123 only.

I am surprised Panasonics also explode. Made in Japan you said?

Now I am scared. I got about 50 Duracell branded CR2 (not CR123) in my stockpile, all made in Japan. Different size but same chemistry.

Shxt!

Oh wait, someone just posted that the cells are fake. Whew! I guess (hope) my Duracell CR2 from Japan are real!

Last edited: