Fastener Source?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Hey gang,
As a bunch of you know, I'm very involved in a couple of robot teams, and the good news is I've pretty much gotten them to standardize on some common sizes of hardware. We have built adaptors for various items to make them use 1/4-20 on 1" centers - makes fitting things easy, don't have to wonder etc (for instance, out most common motors used to tale 10-32 on either 3/4" centers or 2" centers, with the bolts going into either the end, or side of the motor - now they use 1/4-20, and use through bolts

The think is, we have a dogs collection of 1/4-20 hardware - not enough bolts, and everything from socket head cap screws (good, come in the kit), to hex head (also good - actually probably better, we have LOTS of 7/16" wrenches) to things like round slot head 3" long full length thread screws.

I'd love to buy them a BUNCH of hex head screws (for my OWN use, I'd go socket, but...) from 3/8 long out to 2" or so - a LOT of 1.25" (because of the size of standard kit pieces) and a whole LOT of nuts (when I say a whole lot, I'm talking at least 500)

Anyone have a source with good prices? A place where I can get assortments of hex head machine screws in 1/4"-20?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
50 miles to the nearest one. Travers is close, and I know there used to be a lot of wholesalers in Long Island City, but have no idea where anymore

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
except Fastenal is MORE expensive than just about anyone else (about $12/100 vs $10/100 elsewhere)

Superdave

Enlightened
I was going to suggest Fastenal as well, If you can find someone that has a business account you'd be surprised at how cheap stuff is. (or maybe try to set one up)

Retail on some bolts I bought was like $6 each, I got them for like 80 cents each using my work account.

There is always Grainger as well, prices aren't that great sometimes though.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Ended up just ordering from Travers Tool - close, no shipping (as I live within 5 miles, and have to drive within 1/4 mile of them anyway this afternoon), and OK prices (caught the 2" grade 8 on sale, for like $3.98 for 100, cheaper than the grade 5s) I'll drag them up to the shop this afternoon

Kingston

Newly Enlightened
eBay would be the cheapest, but you'd likely need to build your own assortment through multiple purchases. What kind of quantities are you looking for? And just, 1/4-20? I buy and sell industrial surplus and always have thousands of lbs. of fasteners in stock.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Well, I already went out and bought them, so at this point it is moot. I was looking for a few hundred (all 1/4-20) 1/2 or 3/4 inch, then 1.25 and 1.5 and say 2", plus 200 regular and 300 or so nylock