"Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots-

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -Beamshots-

I should've built my 4 X MC-E project SUCH a long time ago. It ain't gonna' get so much as a ho-hum from anyone now, perhaps not even from me. :sigh:

Gee... thanks, Overdog. :mecry:

Just kidding... this thing is incredible! Hard to believe the beamshots are from a regular tube format flashlight!

ttwhin

Newly Enlightened
Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -Beamshots-

+1. :thumbsup:

This light reduces one to stunning silence

For a couple of days, to make brain clear!

Anyhow + for have the guts to test some limits ! :thumbsup: :twothumbs
Crazy bright this flashlight!

First question is that popping up, How long time is it possible to use the flashlight continuous?
Are we talking about seconds, or is it in fact pretty neat and a can run for like 10 minutes?

The_Police

Enlightened

all I can say is "Holy sh#t!" lol and I love that light :D

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

My goodness, that is just insane! But, please, please do use something, "relay," "contactor," or even telepathy to complete that circuit! That thing is POWERFUL.

overdog

Enlightened

Hello,
at first I like to say thank you to DM51 for adding this light to "The BIG Lights" thread, I feel really honoured!

Thank you for nice comments to myvrmnd, ktheo, don.gwapo, Illum, pepko, CKOD, 300winmag,
vudoo, ptolemy, ahorton, Nos, Dark Laser, Fichtenelch, Zeruel, Der Wichtel, Nokoff, irv usc,
smokelaw1, jellydonut, ma_sha1, CarpentryHero, ^Gurthang, PCC, moviles, mrartillery, alpg88,
Al Combs, Essexman, flashfiend, aurum, Pöbel, XRAYBoY, jirik cz, gt40, wquiles, 350xfire,
junglewarrior, chanjyj, easyled, bshanahan14rulz, Hill, Starlight, Mr. Tone, Turoled, smokelaw,
0ld4570, NeSSuS-GTE, chenko, supasizefries, finishfool, ergotelis, Gast, Lightsward, Thiers-Issard,
Toke, tx101, fyrstormer, David Gretzmier, :)>, Scott Packard, Boltgun, LilKevin715, Eddie-M, Harry-N,
Bimmerboy, ttwhin, The Police, LEDAdd1ct and all the others for watching!
lovecpf
I did not find the time yet to answer all questionss detailed, sorry therefore, but to the more asked questions I can say,
that the switch is still alive (!), runtime at all for this light should be at about 5-7 minutes, but to prevent the batteries
from getting damaged I recharged them now for two times
after a total runtime of about 4 -5 minutes each time. I ran the light step by step for a longer time- longest runtime
at all over 1.30 minutes without getting too hot or some change into blueish colour for the emitters. I think it does
it´s job what I made it for: to be really bright and having not a real use for everyday use... :tinfoil:

I hope that I will find more time next days to answer all questions!

I updated post one with more beamshots, "The Frankfurt Holiday Inn" and the "Messeturm Frankfurt", 70 floors overground.

Thank you for watching & best regards,
Steffen.
:wave:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots

Woah. Something tells me the Frankfurt PD got a whole bunch more calls about UFOs that night.lovecpf

Now you just need to get someone else to take a photo from an angle to better show that beam. Surely there must be volunteers?:twothumbs

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened
Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots

Outstanding!

So, can you make it waterproof and how many minutes would you get underwater with it before the batteries died? :devil:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is insane! Someone get this guy to a mental institution before he builds something even bigger! :p

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened

frankfurt_messeturm.jpg
messeturm-2.jpg

That Messeturm skyscraper is huge, Amazing that a flashlight could light up the side of it. I bet you could see right through the glass walls of the "Japan Center" with it! Thanks for the new beamshots :twothumbs

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Absolutely insane...

You seriously have to get a hotplate and fry a couple of eggs over that.

DM51

Flashaholic

can you make it waterproof and how many minutes would you get underwater with it
Probably not very long: after ~30 secs the sea would start boiling, lol

overdog

Enlightened

Hello,
some answers,
@Illum & smokelaw1: I should have used 20gauge wires, but I used 18gauge wires, but it works, nothing started smoking till now...

@Al Combs: good idea to use some other reflectors for better throw, the Ledil-S are really floody- you suggested to use IMS-27´s or Khatod P7´s- I have no experience with them, and I would have to rasp them down cause the diameter of 27mm would not fit in the head, I did something similar for a triple SST-90 setup in my Silver Star with DX P60 drop-in reflectors and got really better results, so I am thinking about trying some of your suggested reflectors for this light, I want to see a laserlike beam :whistle:

more answers to follow....

best regards,
Steffen

chanjyj

Enlightened

Hello,
some answers,
@Illum & smokelaw1: I should have used 20gauge wires, but I used 18gauge wires, but it works, nothing started smoking till now...

@Al Combs: good idea to use some other reflectors for better throw, the Ledil-S are really floody- you suggested to use IMS-27´s or Khatod P7´s- I have no experience with them, and I would have to rasp them down cause the diameter of 27mm would not fit in the head, I did something similar for a triple SST-90 setup in my Silver Star with DX P60 drop-in reflectors and got really better results, so I am thinking about trying some of your suggested reflectors for this light, I want to see a laserlike beam :whistle:

more answers to follow....

best regards,
Steffen

"laserlike beam" :devil:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened

the Ledil S reflectors don't focus the beam very well at least for the P7 version.

Here is a comparison between Ledil S for P7 and the P7 reflector used in the triple mag:

IMG_5802.jpg

irv_usc

Enlightened

I think it does it´s job what I made it for: to be really bright and having not a real use for everyday use... :tinfoil:

this is my favorite part of your explanation! why did you build it? just because!

Also your beamshots of the tall buildings are very impressive.

When does your 5x luminus -360 light come out?

MikeAusC

Enlightened

"Messeturm Frankfurt", 70 floors overground, DX stock P7:
llyirrze89qzj2n4ec2th9wjxjs.jpg

"Fat Star" 8x SST-90:
wst1j8yruzegfiprx5sqk3fktfu.jpg

I don't see any lighting of the tower in this photo.

There's a blue haze in the beam, but notice that the haze is as bright to the left and to the right of the tower, as it is in front of the tower.

You need to move the camera away from the beam, so you aren't photographing the backscatter.

Mdemon

Newly Enlightened

He has a point there. The others are more obviously illuminated.

I still want one... :)

Last edited: