Favorite budget light 2023

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Best I could tell at the time they made about 500 of each color body at the time. If I recall correctly the initial run was 1000 of a particular color body done as a group buy at budget light forums with a Yuji LED. Not sure, others can correct me but I think there was a white and a neutral say 5600k and 4500k or whatever Yuji was doing at the time. They went for like $6 apiece but some sold at here second hand for like $10.

Sofirn did another run with an unspecified amount with Sophia LED's in nueutral and warm. Bodies were dark green, doo doo brown, tootsie pop orange, black, blue and maybe other colors. They went for like $5 apiece.

Here's one thread about them.
I think once they were gone that was it.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
New contender for favorite budget light. Tiny Olight i1R. This little thing is so stinkin' cool and was given to me by ohio72. Great beam with decent tint even and a very usable 6ish lumens on low with great runtime of 7 hours. USB rechargeable. Fun using such a tiny light!

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought a Wurkkos FC13S on Amazon for $20 after 50% off coupon and am seriously impressed. Seems rugged overall with a decent size on/off switch with nice background lighting to show battery status. Beam has big hotspot with more gradual sidespill which makes this a better walking light than many, meaning you don't so much feel like you're walking in a tunnel. Only downside is head is bigger than body so doesn't feel quite as comfortable to hold as lights where the head size is inline with the body. This is better built than the Workkos FC11 which stopped working not long after purchase but I have a Sofirn light from a couple of years ago that still works fine.

I wish more (any?) of these "non-budget" light manufacturers would incorporate a ramping mode to the UI. Would it really be that difficult to implement?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
After making my post yesterday, I made the mistake of reading thru the other posts in this thread and went out and bought a Sofirn SP10 Pro, Amazon one day shipping. My what a nice light! Nice wide warm tinted beam with more than enough oomph for every day use and I think even suitable to be a walking light. Much less but still usable light even with a cheap alkaline. I like this way better than my Olight AA Baton light (admittedly a few years old now). I guess my only slight complaint is I wish the operating system between these Sofirn/Wirkkos lights was consistent. With my other lights, I hold down the power button for 5 seconds to switch to ramping mode but this light must employ some other method of doing so I will have to ready up on the manual. Having said that, with 5 levels fo evenly spaced output levels, I don't really feel the need to switch to ramping mode. Think I will buy one more, slap in an Energizer L91 and put in the car glove box.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I am also *VERY* impressed with the Sofirn SP10 Pro !

To my knowledge, the *ONLY* 14500 Anduril flashlight
which can run on a plain ol' Alkaline, Eneloop, or L91
Energizer in a pinch ! (yes, much dimmer, of course)

Last edited:

Brokenarrow

Newly Enlightened
Nice light for sure! Super floody beam perfect for edc around the house/farm for light duty..
Just wish the button had a light as its very difficult to locate quickly.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Guessing the clip on the SP10 Pro can be rotated so it's either in-line with the button or directly opposite the button.

Also, only of its kind out there? Got to have that for the collection. Especially with its ability to run off of anything that'll fit inside of it.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Guessing the clip on the SP10 Pro can be rotated so it's either in-line with the button or directly opposite the button.

Also, only of its kind out there? Got to have that for the collection. Especially with its ability to run off of anything that'll fit inside of it.
Yes, indeed, the Clip can be rotated as you stated.

That's exactly how I position it,
so I can find its small switch by tactical feel,
more easily.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Heads-up regarding Sofirn:
So, I'm completely new to the brand.
Went to their website. Having a flash-sale.
No clue how common that is for the brand.
But snagged the SP10 Pro + 14500 batt. and charger.
Along with another model I was looking at before.
IF22A + 21700 Batt. (Great looking pocket-thrower).

SP10 Pro = $16.99 (Green).
IF22A = $26.59 (Grey).
Both models in Black cost a couple of dollars more, each. Normally, I'd go for Black. But these are lights I'm going to experiment with, and not part of my daily rotation.

For context, the SP10 Pro is right around $30.oo on other online sites.

I especially liked one thing from Sofrin:
Transparency. They were honest and upfront that due to the TIR optic in the IF22A, the lens on each of those has a tiny gap from the cutting process used to fit the lens. They claim it's not a defect since all IF22As have this as part of the light. But they wanted potential buyers to be aware of it before purchasing. Now that impressed me. I can see certain other brands just pretending it's a minor issue. Not worth mentioning. Sofrin, chose not to play pretend. I like that.

Burgess

Flashaholic
FWIW, my Sofirn SP10 Pro (Red)
cost me $ 23.19 in February 2023
when I ordered it from Am@zon.
< just sayin' >

No charger, just its 14500 cell included

Quite Impressed with this DANDY little light !

(after I struggled with Anduril to set it up
to my preferences, of course)
;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think Sofrin is the only brand that has its own website, sells direct to consumers from it, but charges less than other sites. Not sure what the turn-around time is. But since they're shipping from China with free shipping, I can wait. (Ironically got an email from Sofrin the very same day I placed my order, but hours later. Stating that it had been sent out.)

TPA

Enlightened
I don't know if this qualifies as "budget" but my favorite, most useful flashlight that I use regularly is a Sofrin SC31 Pro. You can get them for $20 from China, so I'd classify it at the high-end of "budget" but still budget. Andruil, built in USB-C charging, use standard user-replaceable batteries, and one of my requirements -- a button which can be illuminated on standby.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't know if this qualifies as "budget" but my favorite, most useful flashlight that I use regularly is a Sofrin SC31 Pro. You can get them for $20 from China, so I'd classify it at the high-end of "budget" but still budget. Andruil, built in USB-C charging, use standard user-replaceable batteries, and one of my requirements -- a button which can be illuminated on standby.
There's definitely some leeway regarding the term "Budget."
If you can get a decently-built light for 1/4th or 1/3rd of what everyone else is charging for a similar type of light. But a bit No-frills, heck yeah; still counts as Budget.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the lights I actually purchased this year which could be considered "budget", here are my favorites:
  • ReyLight Pineapple Mini 1xAAA Aluminum
  • Wurkkos TS10
  • ReyLight LANapple 1xAA -Aluminum

Brokenarrow

Newly Enlightened
So far this year I like my SP10 Pro best- Just wish that button had aux and maybe Anduril also. Reylight Pineapple on the way- I hope its all I hear!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Still waiting on my Wurrkos TS10 to arrive.
But my gut is telling me it could very well be my favorite budget light of 2023. 🙂

SkunkWerx

Newly Enlightened
I have not been on CPF in many many years.
Decided to pop back in.

MY best budget light, right at the top of the $35 limit is the NICRON N9, found on Amzn.

It's an 18650, with USB rechargable battery, 90 degree adjustable head, magnetic base.
Flashy modes are hidden. Memory, comes back ON to whatever level you had it in at shut off.

I have 3 of them, 1 in my truck, 1 in my workshop, and 1 sitting here on my desk.
My buddy has 3 of them.
Another buddy has 2.
And we've given several as gifts.

Everyone gives my buddy and I feedback after using the Nicron N9..... "This light rocks!"

I am, in no way affiliated with Nicron, we just stumbled on this light, and found a gem.

I started with getting a Nicron N7, 14500 baby brother to the N9, and also a great little budget light.
Have 2 N7s.