Favorite Buget light.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
BLF 348 is quite the steal. I just got my first recently and I've had way too much fun playing around with it.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I own the convoy s3 500lm NW I rarely take off med(200lm) I believe any In the convoy series the s2+,s3 or the c8 would be a great budget light.

[McE]

Newly Enlightened
My absolute favorite light is a simple, tiny, single CR123a cell keychain light that turns on by twisting the two halves together.
It has High/Low/Strobe, I've added a thin rubber section around the split since it could work itself apart without more tension.

Big fancy lights are nice, but I'm a big fan of size efficiency. It's flipping bright and tiny. Gets the most compliments, because really, what flashlight non-enthusiast wants to hear about your trapezoidal threads or heat sinking or TIR reflector bits. :ironic:

irongate

Enlightened
Those Lux-Pro items at the Lowes checkout area are pretty good for the money. $5-40...
Don't know about longevity yet, but for the average person they're very useful, and come with a lanyard.

Actually those Lux-Pro's are not bad lights to have around the house. The 630 is a zoom with about 290 Lums. The 600 is not a zoom. For the sales price they were a nice Christmas gift to people to carry in their cars.
I have not had any problems with mind yet and got them in 15.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Actually those Lux-Pro's are not bad lights to have around the house. The 630 is a zoom with about 290 Lums. The 600 is not a zoom. For the sales price they were a nice Christmas gift to people to carry in their cars.
I have not had any problems with mind yet and got them in 15.

Same here Mr. Gate. I have one hanging by my front door.
Another goody is that Coast HP1. If you can still find them for $10 they also make great gifts.
Fun part for me was telling folks 'it's a zoomy' and watching them twist like a Maglite in vein. Then I'd grab it, and (without revealing) would slide in a twist motion, hand it back and watch them twist it again to no avail....then I'd tell them it's a slider.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Microstream. Plain and simple. I have other inexpensive lights I like but thats the favorite without a doubt. Not the brightest or the longest running or the most modes or even bright for its price. But when I need an inexpensive light I know will work no matter what I seem to do to it I reach (into my pocket) for that. Top 5 overall.

dhunley1

Enlightened
I keep this one in my car, so I don't use it often, but it's a decent light for what I paid. Can't remember how much it was, but I know it was under $10.

Rayovac 2AA.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
While it isn't the best, I frequently recommend the 2xAA Maglite Pros (272 lumen version). Recently I found this:

ZWT729t.jpg

$20 for a respectable budget 2xAA light and a 1xAAA keychain light is a pretty good deal and satisfies most needs.

toastystuff

Enlightened
My favorite budget build is a solarforce l2m. Its about 13$ on eBay. It's a 18650 p60 host where the tube is 2pieces so it can be unscrewed to run 18350. It's a nice matt black finish. Then u can spend whatever u want on a drop in, anywhere from 3$ to 300$. So 20$ or less total depending where u buy it from and what drop in you choose. IMHO Doesn't get better than that. Here are some pics of my current set up. I dropped in a glowring and a vob copper Mtg2 drop in. You could also buy the x2aa p60 host version if you aren't ready to take the rechargeable battery plunge. Low voltage dropins are very inexpensive.

IMAG2114.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG2111.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG2112.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLF 348 is quite the steal. I just got my first recently and I've had way too much fun playing around with it.
I agree. I have eight now, two for me and six in boxes for future gifts. GearBest still has some left at $7.99 USD w/o gift box. These are part of the third group buy at BLF, and I don't know how much longer they will have any, or if they will make another run.

[EDIT a half hour later]

I decided to jump over to GearBest just to see if they were still being offered. Right now they are selling the version that has 'Budget Light Forum' engraved in the gift box for $4.84. So I immediately ordered four more just cause they were so cheap. :whistle:

[/EDIT]

I just love the Nichia 219B goodness, and the fact that the beam is so wide and even. Basically, the hot spot and the spill are the same, and that works out great for me. When I am working inside my computer case, or looking for something dropped on (in) my carpet, the last thing I need is a too bright hot spot and a too dim spill.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I love both my l2 and l2m. Great inexpensive hosts for the budget conscious. My l2 has seen a decent amount of carry.

toastystuff

Enlightened
Same here repsol! I love how modular they are,there's many accessories to make it fit the role you need it to. I use to turn my nose up at them cause I'm a surefire nut. I came to the realisation that yea surefire is way better but I wasn't enjoying my surefires for fear of damaging them. Enter the solarforce I can splurge on a awesome drop in and enjoy it in a host that's easily and cheaply replaced if damaged. It's a win win in my book.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite budget light is the Convoy S2+ which I bought as a host, I then added the CREE XM-L T5 on a Copper PCB and drive it with a QLITE Rev.A 7135*8 3.04A Driver that has been flashed with guppydrv, so I now have a programmable EDC that can be used with any of 22 modes. Complete with pocket clip.

I have set it to ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% with no memory so it always comes on in ML.

600ish lumens on High.

It's my first reverse click light, not sure if I would prefer to swap the switch to a McClicky, if that's possible, time will tell.

All in cost about $24, the LED on the copper was the most expensive part, with a cheaper LED it would have been under $20.

Convoy%20S2_zpsj1txk3f8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The mode options are

User Selectable Groups:

1. 2% - 25% - 100% | Memory
  2. 100% - 25% - 2% | No Memory
  3. 2% - 25% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | Memory
  4. 2% - 25% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | No Memory
  5. 15% - 100% | Memory
  6. 100% - 15% | No Memory
  7. 100% Only
  8. 100% - Strobe | No Memory
  9. Strobe - 100% | No Memory
  10. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% | Memory
  11. 100% - 33% - 5% - ML | No Memory
  12. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | Memory
  13. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | No Memory
  14. ML - 100% | No Memory
  15. 100% - ML | No Memory
  16. ML - 100% | Memory
  17. ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% | Memory
  18. ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% | No Memory
  19. 100% - 50% - 15% - 5% - ML | Memory
  20. 100% - 50% - 15% - 5% - ML | No Memory
  21. 2% - 15% - 50% - 100% | Memory
  22. 2% - 15% - 50% - 100% | No Memory

You can also set the High Output Timer, so that after a length of time that you choose the High mode drops to 50%.

ven

Flashaholic
The s2+ have to be one of the best budget lights ever imo, even out of the box there are options in abundance.

I love the L2M toasty stuff, should have one in the next week or so as ordered a bit back for a compact work horse.
Other than the p60, my most used budget light is the L2T, in this pic it has a sportac nichia triple in, around $35 USA side so really its a very good value drop in, budget compared to a lot of custom ones.

For now it does not have a budget p60 in,

but the host is and a tough one at that.

Other budget hosts
The middle L2T ano, can be had for under $20..............excellent budget option imo

They are my most used beaters, worth every cent!

NICSAK

Enlightened
For budget is have to say I love my convoy s2+ that I built for around 25$. Neutral xml2 4500k. Probably going to throw nichia triple in it in the future.

toastystuff

Enlightened
Uhhhhhg ven you are tugging at my heart strings with that limited edition ss solarforce l2t. As much as I whant one and as beautiful it is I haven't been able to pull the trigger on it with the 70$+ price tag. Even if I did I would again be tempted to not use it for fear of tarnishing it's beauty Haha. As far as convoys go I agree they are very cheap but require some modding know how to complete should you whant to change set up. That's why solarforce hosts are IMHO the way to go. Start with a cheap 5$ drop in, then upgrade as you see fit,the possibilities are endless!