Favorite Buget light.

Butch_Coolidge

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know of Bushnell? I currently have a TRKR t125L. It cost $20.00. It only takes 1AA. It has a regular beam, plus red and blue settings. It's super bright and very sturdy.

toastystuff

Enlightened
Butch I'd say skip it. There are way better flashlight for 20$ check out my previous post for ideas.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now my favorite budget light is the BLF 348, which is a modified Singfire 348 from Gearbest (which isn't a bad light either) with a Nichia 219B emitter. And it really is a budget light, because I got some of the dozen I bought for less than $6 USD. It is a single AAA, single mode with a reverse clicky and a nice clip, all in stainless steel that is so well machined one can't even tell where the seam is on the tail cap. Unfortunately, it was a special group buy, and all are sold now.
The things I really like about it are it's size and weight, the high CRI output, and the fact that the hotspot and the spill are pretty much the same. The result is a nice smooth beam of pure 90+ CRI goodness.
One other thing. It will run on a 10440 for an insanely bright beam for such a small light. But it gets very hot very fast, so it isn't real practical for every day use.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Right now my favorite budget light is the BLF 348, which is a modified Singfire 348 from Gearbest (which isn't a bad light either) with a Nichia 219B emitter. And it really is a budget light, because I got some of the dozen I bought for less than $6 USD. It is a single AAA, single mode with a reverse clicky and a nice clip, all in stainless steel that is so well machined one can't even tell where the seam is on the tail cap. Unfortunately, it was a special group buy, and all are sold now.
The things I really like about it are it's size and weight, the high CRI output, and the fact that the hotspot and the spill are pretty much the same. The result is a nice smooth beam of pure 90+ CRI goodness.
One other thing. It will run on a 10440 for an insanely bright beam for such a small light. But it gets very hot very fast, so it isn't real practical for every day use.
I also bought a number of them and I really like them. Their drawback is that they are a single mode.

I bought a few similar lights from cnqualitygoods a couple of years ago, that had a two mode output, but no 10440 support; it also wasn't the nichia. If the BLF 348 lights had a low-high driver with 10400 support, I would have bought many more.

-------------------------

My fav is a convoy s2+ NW driven at 1400ma

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened

Sorry OP for getting off track, Timothybil, your avatar has that ' go away and LEAVE ME ALONE ' look, happening. A bit like my avatar did with his photo.

:laughing:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess my favorite budget light is the Energizer 2AA Industrial incan. I just replace the bulb with a low cost LED drop-in and end up with a simple robust light with decent run time.Output won't win any contests but using lithium batteries there is very little to go wrong. Unfortunately Energizer has discontinued it and sells an LED model now but I can still find the incan version in stores on occasion for $5-6.With cheap LED lights I am concerned that they will withstand drops. Industrial incans usually offer some shock protection for the LED drop-in and there is little else to fail with their simple construction.Ultimately this type of light is probably more reliable than most expensive lights and the most likely point of failure besides the batteries,the LED drop-in can be replaced.On some of the larger D cell models still available like the Rayovac industrial you can even carry an extra drop-in inside the light in a spare bulb holder.

billcoe

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore Tubes that I got for @$7 ea in a 3 pack off Massdrop. Fit on a keychain, 45 lumens is plenty to light up the dark, insanely small. I've since seen them for less, but still a great value.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know of Bushnell? I currently have a TRKR t125L. It cost $20.00. It only takes 1AA. It has a regular beam, plus red and blue settings. It's super bright and very sturdy.

I have the 2aa version but when I click to red now, it skips it and goes to blue. Oh well, the perils of saving money. It's still too bright to use in the middle of the night with exhausted batteries from my sons xbox controller.

xdriver

Newly Enlightened
My favourite budget light is the Convoy S2+ which I bought as a host, I then added the CREE XM-L T5 on a Copper PCB and drive it with a QLITE Rev.A 7135*8 3.04A Driver that has been flashed with guppydrv, so I now have a programmable EDC that can be used with any of 22 modes. Complete with pocket clip.

I have set it to ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% with no memory so it always comes on in ML.

600ish lumens on High.

It's my first reverse click light, not sure if I would prefer to swap the switch to a McClicky, if that's possible, time will tell.

All in cost about $24, the LED on the copper was the most expensive part, with a cheaper LED it would have been under $20.

Convoy%20S2_zpsj1txk3f8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The mode options are

User Selectable Groups:

1. 2% - 25% - 100% | Memory
  2. 100% - 25% - 2% | No Memory
  3. 2% - 25% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | Memory
  4. 2% - 25% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | No Memory
  5. 15% - 100% | Memory
  6. 100% - 15% | No Memory
  7. 100% Only
  8. 100% - Strobe | No Memory
  9. Strobe - 100% | No Memory
  10. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% | Memory
  11. 100% - 33% - 5% - ML | No Memory
  12. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | Memory
  13. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | No Memory
  14. ML - 100% | No Memory
  15. 100% - ML | No Memory
  16. ML - 100% | Memory
  17. ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% | Memory
  18. ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% | No Memory
  19. 100% - 50% - 15% - 5% - ML | Memory
  20. 100% - 50% - 15% - 5% - ML | No Memory
  21. 2% - 15% - 50% - 100% | Memory
  22. 2% - 15% - 50% - 100% | No Memory

You can also set the High Output Timer, so that after a length of time that you choose the High mode drops to 50%.

Where do you get all the parts for the lights? I am considering building one. I currently just have a AKORAY K-106 that runs on a 14500 and I would like an 18650 light that I can use with some unprotected reclaimed laptop battery cells.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you get all the parts for the lights? I am considering building one. I currently just have a AKORAY K-106 that runs on a 14500 and I would like an 18650 light that I can use with some unprotected reclaimed laptop battery cells.

You can get the Convoy S2+ Host, driver and LED from mtnelectronics, I made a mistake in my post the driver is 7135*4 to prevent overheating.

ven

Flashaholic
After all this time, the convoy m2 in(iirc anyway as it seems quite warm)4c flavour(either way my eyes say 3800-4000k tops)

Been a trusty glove box light for years

Stays with a protected sanyo locked out, has come in handy many times from working under the hood to finding a scrape in the dark to a clumsy driver catching the front bumper.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
If we're emphasizing budget then sk68 clone for $1.50 shipped. If we place emphasis to best then any of several Astrolux, Convoy, Manker, On the Road, BLF lights that can go on sale for between $15 and $25. Maybe Astrolux s3 when priced at $25. if I had to pick one then maybe On the Road M3 or Astrolux S3 (when on sale). hahaha I almost typed Astrosux and went back to correct.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
After all this time, the convoy m2 in(iirc anyway as it seems quite warm)4c flavour(either way my eyes say 3800-4000k tops)

Been a trusty glove box light for years

Stays with a protected sanyo locked out, has come in handy many times from working under the hood to finding a scrape in the dark to a clumsy driver catching the front bumper.
Wow, I ordered one of those things from Gearbest about 3 months ago and it's still been at ISC San Francisco since Aug 3. I guess I'll contact gearbest and see what they say.