Favorite Incan and led light

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I started I'll go first. I will not include an EDC as it's not a favorite. I've never found a pocketable light to give the type of beam I like.
For Incan: It has to be my 3C Mag with 2x18650 with homemade adapter, res mods, and 5c magnumstar bulb, op aluminum reflector, and ar coated glass lens.
For LED: My older stream light polystinger. I found this in an old ship that came to work to be scrapped. I have no cradle and have to use a couple magnets and a hobby charger to charge which is a pain but it produces to most perfect white beam with lots of throw and good spill.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has to be my 3C Mag with 2x18650 with homemade adapter, res mods, and 5c magnumstar bulb, op aluminum reflector, and ar coated glass lens.

2x18650 in 3C? Some people already use 2x18650 in 2C M*g.
For 3C M*g, I highly recommend 2x21700 which is almost same length of 3C but little fatter and much higher capacity and run time.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice Mega. I may get 21700 at some time. I'm just using the plethora of 18650s I have around. As far as why a 3c, I had it already. And I can easily swap the bulb for a 3c bulb and 3 alkalines and it's much better than a two cell light. I'm already getting over an hour of run time which is as much as I need. And I can always swap cells. I've never had batteries at that size though I will have to get a few.
I wasn't necessarily looking for favorite modded flashlight just what people's overall favorite was. It could be a surefire 6p if that's your thing

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My Favorite Incan and led light has to be my A2😁. Old school but a classic

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My favorite modded incan is a 2c Kel-Lite using a 4 cell PR base xenon Maglite bulb and a pair of LifePo4 18500 batteries. Completely reversible.

Favorite stock incan is a 1980's Bright Star 2c with a Tung Sol PR-2 bulb.

Favorite modified LED is a 1 cell SureFire Aviator with E incan head, Scout tailcap and a 100 lumen Tana singLED.

Favorite stock LED is the PKDL FL2.

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
I can't pick a single favorite but...

Favorite Incan is a tossup between Flashtorch, my 4D xenon maglite, and my lumens factory seraph's.

As far as LED goes, Streamlight Stinger 2020, Protac HL3/4/5 (got an HL3 on order and don't have the 5 yet), Surefire Aviator, and Fury DFT.

Oh, and the Olight Warrior X Pro that I have yet to get. :grin2:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite incan is my 35 year old 4D Mag, but this is currently running a LED drop-in.
HmOamhT.jpg

My favorite incan that is still an incan, is my newer 3C Mag that I have set up as a blood tracking/ night vision light running a 6 cell xenon bulb on a couple 21700 or 18650 protected cells.

My favorite LED is a toss up between a 2C dual mode ML25 and a grenade gripped green ML50LX.

OQ8DkS9.jpg

ekyVBrm.jpg

I think I see a Maglite trend developing in my picks?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite the maglite fan. I think the ml50xl will be my next light. In 3c form. I just added a 3d Incan mag yesterday as well. Used it to walk the dog last night. Worked well. The d cell mags are a bit too big in diameter to be a favorite though

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite incan is my 35 year old 4D Mag, but this is currently running a LED drop-in.

My favorite incan that is still an incan, is my newer 3C Mag that I have set up as a blood tracking/ night vision light running a 6 cell xenon bulb on a couple 21700 or 18650 protected cells.

My favorite LED is a toss up between a 2C dual mode ML25 and a grenade gripped green ML50LX.

OQ8DkS9.jpg

I like those 3D printed spacers. I was just thinking about designing a 21700 to 3C adapter for my Elektro Lumens Shadeslayer 7. Did you design those yourself / have files I could steal? ;)

My favorite incan is what I dub my Daymaker Mark II. I'd show a picture but it just looks exactly like a stock 6D maglite from the outside. It's an old soft start multi mode 458 Mag hotwire. I've converted it over to 26500 IRM cells years ago.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are my designs. I don't give out the files but I do sell some of them on a limited basis. I don't want to hijack this thread, so if anyone wants more details, please send me a PM.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite incan is probably the ML25 in 2C. I frosted the bulb on mine and replaced the lens with coasted glass. Running it on NiMH Cs. I love the way the 2C feels and handles, I would say it's still the best ergonomics of any flashlight I've used. Weight and size is just about perfect (although not for EDC...lol). I believe that someone said once that "god made the human hand to hold onto a stick". Well...

My favorite LED is probably still the SF Fury. The older Gen. in 500Lm. Ergonomically speaking the second best I've tried, and the best out of any LED. The switch is perfect (still nothing beats SF switches) and the beam is great. I have 3 and even the tint is fine on all of them. I like the 15/500 setup, it's my preferred interface. Realistically speaking my MD2 is better, and I use it and my MDC far more than the Fury's, but it's how I feel. Only thing im missing is Li-Ion compatibility.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you could use some lifepo4s in that fury. You'll lose runtime but you won't need to buy new cells every time
The ml25c is the big version of a mini mag right? I've never used one but looks like a good package. I've been enjoying my 3d lately. I'd prefer a c( they fit in the hand so we'll) but it was free. Not blistering output but it's a good whitish beam that throws well on target and whatever is in the beam stands out. I don't imagine the 3 cell beam is that much brighter that your 2 cell

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I suggested to use lifepo4s. Then it will be in regulation and full brightness. You'll lose runtime though

They're also called lfp cells. Surefire sells them as k2

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IFR 16340 I can buy right now is 400 mAh, Surefires are 450 I think. 800mAh vs 2500mAh (which is already a downgrade and compromise to a 18650). It might run in regulation, but for a fraction of the runtime. Switching to lifepo4 is a downgrade any way you look at it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this is the incan section - My favorite incan of all time is the Streamlight Strion incan. It was responsible (~2008) for moving my pair of Scorpions to 'backup' duty, and nothing's replaced it as my favorite incan. Just to continue that theme for a moment, my Strion LED was my first LED light (~2010/11), and is almost certainly still the "best" LED light I own in overall terms, although not currently the most used due to changing needs. It's still close at hand though, and is still the one I'd grab if I need something that 'absolutely HAS to work, or else".

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I suggested to use lifepo4s. Then it will be in regulation and full brightness. You'll lose runtime though

They're also called lfp cells. Surefire sells them as k2

+1 on the K2 LFP123s, which for the record are rated (by K2) at 600 mAh and perform pretty near that number (mid-5s @ 1A). Discharge curve is also essentially flat for most of that, which is another plus. While not the max capacity one can get, still a very good solution for most in many applications.

Last edited: