Favorite torrent client?

WNG

Enlightened
IIRC, Azureus doesn't strictly follow the bittorrent standard. There's something non-compiant about it.

I had better throughput using utorrent, and have stuck with it since.

A friend favors Bit-Comet.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Azureus for torrent managing , but reading the overwhelming boardwide support of Utorrent im gonna have to give it a try. Thanks

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
+?? where are we? -- For uTorrent. You'll probably need to get uTorrent 1.6, though (previous build), as many torrent trackers are not allowing the most recent version (1.7).

I really liked Azureus, which is what I used to use, but it was a little batty in that it wouldn't let me limit my ul/dl rates. I mean, it'd let me, it just wouldn't do it. uTorrent has proven to be very stable, so I've stuck with it. As far as features go, I really preferred Azureus, but that one minor bug switched me over to uTorrent. After a year or so of using uTorrent, I've gotten to like it. It's really easy to use and the scheduler is just so simple to use and so well done. I wish there was a search feature, though, like to search for a particular torrent in my list of torrents, using a keyword (it can be hard to find stuff, sometimes!).

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
My friends recommend rtorrent.

-1 utorrent which I just read about. They aren't going to release the source code. To heck with them. I would never run an application like that without source code.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
-1 utorrent which I just read about. They aren't going to release the source code. To heck with them. I would never run an application like that without source code.
Oh please. While I like the opensource philosophy, all a torrent client has to do is to download the torrents. Yeah, it'd be better if they opensourced uTorrent (yes, I know it's "microtorrent", but I'm too lazy to look up the symbol), but it's not the end of the world if they don't. It's still a good client.

I used Azureus some time ago. Opensource and good, but a true resource hog. You can't beat the efficiency of uTorrent, not if you want to do something with your computer (especially play games) while you download.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
+?? where are we? -- For uTorrent. You'll probably need to get uTorrent 1.6, though (previous build), as many torrent trackers are not allowing the most recent version (1.7).

For the most recent issue of 1.7 I know of no trackers blocking it. There was an issue with stats being inaccurately reported back in just a single revision that lasted but a few days. I am running the latest with no problems.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Azureus for torrent managing , but reading the overwhelming boardwide support of Utorrent im gonna have to give it a try. Thanks

You may lose some features but what you wont miss is the amount of system hogging that Azureus did. :green:

Marduke

Flashaholic
My friends recommend rtorrent.

Since utorrent is a PC-based program, you don't have any issues running a non-open source Windows environment, but you have issues with the FREE programs that you run on it??

AvroArrow

Enlightened
+ xx for uTorrent. I started with BitTornado, then Azureus, and now uTorrent. It's a much smaller memory footprint and doesn't lockup like Azureus did on my PC.

greenstuffs

Banned
I've got speeds twice as fast with Bitcomet than other clients such as utorrent, azereus.
BITCOMET RULES make sure you get version .56 to .70 :)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
+14 for uTorrent (counting all of you who are mathematically challenged)