Favourite/most beloved 1xAA lights?

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nowadays, you cannot pry me away from my H52w. That's been my EDC for about 2 years.

Before that, it was my SC52w. Incredible light. But I prefer having the head-lamp option, so the H52w is slightly better (and slightly smaller!)

Before that, it was my Quark Titanium AA running a 14500 battery. Man, that was a *huge*, revolutionary jump from anything before it.

And it is still a beautiful light. But the tint of the old XPG is too cool for my new, more refined tastes.

Probably still my most beautiful light, though, and I was awfully fond of it.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't normally carry a 1xAA light, but I value them for their compactness, and battery versatility/availability, and appropriateness as gifts to people who could use them. I have a Jet-1 Pro I.B.S R2 that has been my pocket EDC light on trips outside the country. If something happened to it, I've got a much brighter Jet-1 Pro I.B.S v3.0 sitting at home ready to replace it. When available at fire-sale prices, I have purchased both Gerber Infinity Ultras, and also Rogue Icon I lights to give away. Probably my favorite 1xAA is my Fenix MC10/11 angle-head. Compact and versatile, I just really dig these. I will probably get at least one, if not both, upgraded to a brighter, HCRI emitter by someone other than I.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your ET is probably the same cost as the ZL SC52w.
Maybe the clicky is but I'm referring to the mini (twisty). I paid $30 for the ET used on CPF when they were $39 new. That was several years ago right after the release of the XP-G2. Ever since the Jet I-MK was released last summer and I did a run time test of it compared to numerous single AA lights and saw how well it performed..........well for under $20 I now prefer it to the ET D25A mini :). I don't have the heart to get rid of the D25A mini so its a shelf queen. It's just that the Jet I-Mk is so similar but a lot less expensive and so if I lose it or drop it, I won't be too distraught.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Who modified your LD12? I've been wanting to do the exact same thing.

Vinh... You can find his contact info over in the Vinhnguyen54 subforum (Custom Builders/Modders area)... I recommend purchasing the LED that you want and sending it in with the light. I went with the Nichia 219B 4000K, and I'm pleased with it...

Witterings

Enlightened
I ordered an SC52w a few days ago so maybe this might be my new favorite :) Does anyone happen to know roughly how long they take to ship from China to the UK ... not sure if I should be hoping for 5 / 7 days or more like 6 weeks ??? Always useful to know so I can get to postie 1st and squirrel it away before the Mrs sees it ;)

My current favorite is a Manker E11 as it's side switch, has a great selection of modes with sub modes which are programmable similar to the ZL's and performs extremely well on standard AA as well as 14500's. I have 2, one which is their NW and the other which I bought an XP-L Hi and dropped in it and has a great warm tint and that bit of extra throw.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I ordered an SC52w a few days ago so maybe this might be my new favorite :) Does anyone happen to know roughly how long they take to ship from China to the UK ... not sure if I should be hoping for 5 / 7 days or more like 6 weeks ??? Always useful to know so I can get to postie 1st and squirrel it away before the Mrs sees it ;)

My current favorite is a Manker E11 as it's side switch, has a great selection of modes with sub modes which are programmable similar to the ZL's and performs extremely well on standard AA as well as 14500's. I have 2, one which is their NW and the other which I bought an XP-L Hi and dropped in it and has a great warm tint and that bit of extra throw.

Hopefully North Korea stops playing with its little rockets. China was getting pissed because of their shenanigans. Took 6 weeks to US for a light from banggood. Hope you get yours sooner.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
33448695672_ed84282803_h.jpg

My Nitecore D10 Tribute which was my EDC for a good while (replaced by an RRT-0), still love the Piston Drive for around the house (very quiet and super smooth). Lubed it years ago with Super Lube and it's still smooth and haven't re-applied since. Currently my bedside table light (Tritium's still going!)

Zebralight H502d was my last EDC, replaced the RRT-0 when the lanyard broke. The RRT-0 is currently beside the computer, and the 502d gets tons of use thanks to the 5000K tint (love the 5000K range), and good CRI. I find Nichias to be a bit too warm.

Zebralight SC5 OP will be entering rotation soon, unfortunately not the warm model (but that might be a bit too warm for my tastes). Need to tether it down (figuring out a nice solid flat knot for it first), and find myself a shorter Ti deep carry clip (current length is super aggressive, shreds clothing against the cooling fins..). Loving the insane 500+ Lumens on Eneloops, as well as the excellent moonlight mode that I always use. Also need to consider glow fob options.. It will completely replace the RRT-0, without the need for 14500s.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very happy with my ZL SC5w. The short burst on turbo is fine for me. I almost never need that level of light for more than a few seconds at a time. And the other easily accessible low levels, and no blinkies, makes me a happy camper. Probably will get an SC52w too, if I can find one.
Also impressed with my Klarus XT1A, which has not yet gone :poof: on 14500s and is, as would be expected, stupidly bright (for an AA light). Large for an AA, but for a tactical light, I don't want to be fumbling around with some Eiger-sized AA trying to press a teensie-weensie switch. Probably should get another one if they are still around, just in case, since Klarus buggered the switch on the current XT1C, and I don't know if the older ones will eat RCRs.

But I do still my miss my Fenix L1T v2. Seriousl. Simple and bomb proof. Bring that one back. In warm-ish neutral and/or hi-cri.

Though, for favorite of all time, there are basically two, which I of course, no longer have:

The Nitecore Defender Infinity (Warm) and the Jet 1 Pro v3 (Warm). Now, bring either of those back with a current high-CRI or even warm-ish neutral emitter and I will gladly fork over the cash.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very happy with my ZL SC5w. The short burst on turbo is fine for me. I almost never need that level of light for more than a few seconds at a time. And the other easily accessible low levels, and no blinkies, makes me a happy camper. Probably will get an SC52w too, if I can find one.
Also impressed with my Klarus XT1A, which has not yet gone :poof: on 14500s and is, as would be expected, stupidly bright (for an AA light). Large for an AA, but for a tactical light, I don't want to be fumbling around with some Eiger-sized AA trying to press a teensie-weensie switch. Probably should get another one if they are still around, just in case, since Klarus buggered the switch on the current XT1C, and I don't know if the older ones will eat RCRs.

But I do still my miss my Fenix L1T v2. Seriousl. Simple and bomb proof. Bring that one back. In warm-ish neutral and/or hi-cri.

Though, for favorite of all time, there are basically two, which I of course, no longer have:

The Nitecore Defender Infinity (Warm) and the Jet 1 Pro v3 (Warm). Now, bring either of those back with a current high-CRI or even warm-ish neutral emitter and I will gladly fork over the cash.
I ordered another SC52w on Tuesday and got it Today from ZL,not hard to get at all at least in the USA.

Witterings

Enlightened
I ordered another SC52w on Tuesday and got it Today from ZL,not hard to get at all at least in the USA.

Was yours shipped from China .... I'm guessing probably not of you're in the US and they keep some stock over there.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was yours shipped from China .... I'm guessing probably not of you're in the US and they keep some stock over there.

Texas,the China of the States.

I know those are fightin' words,just kidding.

I have no idea where you are?

Kamerat

Enlightened
ZL H52FW is just perfect for me. Perfect for checking on the kids, bicycling at night, cross country skiing in the woods, fixing stuff at night around the house and so on. The light has also proven to be very tough.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same as surnia, Nitecore d10. Mine is not a bedside table light, but have been with me for hundreds of miles on fishing and hunting trips alone :) Got three trits, ano is removed, polished, and a neutral xp-l hi.
IMG_1841_zpsjkxrvzay.jpg

P1010961_zpservxqbjy.jpg

9_zps9prharsg.jpg

3_zps34pnt3zc.jpg

tmp_19497-DSC_03941607254406_zpspl1wkrjr.jpg

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jut got that lumintop prince mini. The pwm, gritty switch, and modespacing between med-hi makes it go way down on my "1xaa beloved list".

Latest posts