• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FEELER: 2Nd Run Of FM3H

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
JimmyM said:
No better? Just your name on it?

By that rationale you're already copying Delgi by introducing a 3" head right after him. You wouldn't be copying. You'd be providing a compatible component to go with other Mag bodies. Specifically Mirage_Man's HAIIIs. Is Goodyear copying Firestone because they make their tires black too?

With all due respect, I do believe that FM's been making these for many years; indeed, as the topic notes this is a feeler thread for his *second* run of 3" heads. So if anyone was "first out of the gate" on these, it would probably be FM. (I don't mean this as any disrespect to Delgi - in fact, I'm hoping that his 3" heads will be great, since FM can only make so many at a time!) The quality of FM's work is also very well known - he uses very good materials, carefully checks each light, and delivers a phenomenal product.

- FITP

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know FM makes great stuff. I've got a few of his creations and no complaints. I'm just commenting on what he posted himself.

If there are 2 things (anything) and one is no better than the other why would you spend more money for the more expensive item if there is no functional or quality difference?

Sure, he made the first 3" heads. I just don't understand why he would say that he prefers not to copy when it's just a color. And a color that would help sell more heads since there are already bodies coming out in Natural HAIII that they'd be a perfect fit for.

I am in no way impuning his quality. Just questioning the thought behind a couple of his statements.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZeissOEM2 said:
FM is not introducing now.
Some of us do have 3" V and 3"H from earlier run.

KopiavDSC01895.jpg

Wow!!!! Watta collection of FM goodies!!!!

Karl

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Zeiss, I too am drooling over those beauties you have!!!

Jimmy, I think FM's comment was more related to how he sees his work as his own "artistic expression" and he knows his reputation among all CPF GB sellers is probably #1. You know you are getting some of the most unique & very best things that can be made when you buy from him...and with that kind of quality control, and custom made reflectors, prices are higher.

He has also put out many HAIII lights over the last year, so why should he bother to pay an extra painting color fee to match someone else's color of HAIII ? I'm sure I will get 3-4 of these 3" reflectors from FM. I have been trying to get one from him for over a year.

I'm getting 3 from Delghi, because his project also looks fabulous...but notice that he is not doing a bunch of extra colors either...because each run of color is an extra setup expense. He is using Carley reflectors which have their own pro's and con's. We all hope his project turns out great, but he does not have the track record and experience of FiveMega.

However many are put out by both of them will be quickly gobbled up by this community.

defblade

Newly Enlightened
Got a nasty feeling I'm going to up for one of these.

Playing with torches is still cheaper than playing with cars.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in for at least 1 units, which means 2 or more..:rock: ?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
my biggest annoyance is color matching... anyway you can make it match MirageMan's HAIII finish? :D

You know, I think FM is having fun with some of his answers... that he "prefers not to copy," actually sounds like a bit of humor to me. I think the reality of it is that matching a natural HA finish is next to impossible and can never be guaranteed. There are various factors that influence the outcome of a finish, such as different alloys used, and the polishing that is done before hand. I don't know how FM is going about the HA these days, but I know in his earlier runs, he first had his products polished to a much higher degree than are the products of other manufacturers, which completely changed the appearance of the HA, making it very unique, and also very expensive. If I'm not mistaken, the pre-anodize polishing was actually a lot more expensive than the anodizing itself!

Rommul

Enlightened
JimmyM said:
I know FM makes great stuff. I've got a few of his creations and no complaints. I'm just commenting on what he posted himself.

If there are 2 things (anything) and one is no better than the other why would you spend more money for the more expensive item if there is no functional or quality difference?

Sure, he made the first 3" heads. I just don't understand why he would say that he prefers not to copy when it's just a color. And a color that would help sell more heads since there are already bodies coming out in Natural HAIII that they'd be a perfect fit for.

I am in no way impuning his quality. Just questioning the thought behind a couple of his statements.

Just curious how do you know that the items are similar in quality?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small (yet steadily growing!!) "collection" of FM's work and it is fine, fine work. I am always most anxious to see what he has to offer and, in the process, growing broke! :lolsign: Seriously, just great work in terms of looks and appearance!

Karl

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rommul said:
Just curious how do you know that the items are similar in quality?
I don't. It was implied "The only advantage is: [size=+1]MADE BY FIVEMEGA"
[/size]
[size=+1]
I think Trashman is right though. Perhaps he IS just having a bit of fun with his answers (text is such a bad conveyor of "tone"). Perhaps I'll buy one of FMs too, and compare the 2 designs side by side. Because it is Fivemega, it has to be high quality. I think we all agree on that. But just because something ISN'T Fivemega, doesn't mean it ISN'T high quality as well (logical inverse).
Let's quit this stream of back-and-forth. Perhaps I misinterpereted the tone of FMs post, maybe others have misinterpereted the tone of mine. Let's get back to the intent of this post. Feeler.
[/size][size=+1][/size]

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK....enough with this thread touchy-feeling.

Let's get these babies on the road!!! Remember you need to buy Christmas presents for your family, Varooj!

:grin2: :rock:

Bob_G

Enlightened
I'd probably be interested in one or two, depending on reflector design and timing. Throw isn't really a priority with me, but it depends on the bulb too, and what works best with what and all that.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Fivemega:

I have a 3H from you from the 1st run, I love the thing for its beam, but I screwed up the reflector coating by being a moron and used a eye-glass cloth to clean it, making large streaks on the surface. IS it possible to purchase a refector and replace the reflector alone?

Nick