• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: Custom P60 Headlamp (with prototype!)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No time for a full review but I took er
out last night for a long ride and some trail work.

I managed to hook the blade to my
Spark st6 silicon holder and band.
It's too floppy for running but I was
just using a shovel n McLeod.

The switch is getting smoother with some use.

Also- I noted a slight increase in brightness
going from 1to2to3 cells with a 3.6a drop-in
Meaning less voltage sag.
So most hi power drops will be brighter in this host!
No change from 3to4 cells.

The mount I made is working great so far!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. Very nice machining and annodizing. One area in the battery case where anno had been missed but that should not be a problem. The switch is a bit notchy right now and I'll see if that will smooth out with some use--I suspect it will. I haven't tested the waterproof (water resistant?) capabilities of the battery case but the rubber washer must be carefully aligned when torquing down the thumbscrews to be sure the washer is aligned properly.

I dropped a Nailbender Cree XPG (3.6 to 8.4 volts) into it and works fine...performs GREAT! Oh yes, I requested the blade option and purchased the Stenlight headband---perfect combo for me! I have a Scurion which I purchased this past Summer and I really like the two different beam dispersion patterns offered with the Scurion and I am thrilled to see that this may be offered in the Custom P60 Headlamp sometime in the future.

Overall, this headlamp compares very favorably with the Scurion but at a considerably lower pricepoint. This is a VERY nice headlamp.

Karl

kevinm

Enlightened
Got mine today. Very nice machining and annodizing. One area in the battery case where anno had been missed but that should not be a problem. The switch is a bit notchy right now and I'll see if that will smooth out with some use--I suspect it will. I haven't tested the waterproof (water resistant?) capabilities of the battery case but the rubber washer must be carefully aligned when torquing down the thumbscrews to be sure the washer is aligned properly.

I dropped a Nailbender Cree XPG (3.6 to 8.4 volts) into it and works fine...performs GREAT! Oh yes, I requested the blade option and purchased the Stenlight headband---perfect combo for me! I have a Scurion which I purchased this past Summer and I really like the two different beam dispersion patterns offered with the Scurion and I am thrilled to see that this may be offered in the Custom P60 Headlamp sometime in the future.

Overall, this headlamp compares very favorably with the Scurion but at a considerably lower pricepoint. This is a VERY nice headlamp.

Karl

Thanks, Karl! That's high praise!

I came to the same realization yesterday with respect to the battery case, and started using contact cement (Permatex) to hold the rubber on the top of the battery case. It works very well, and is now standard. If you want me to glue the rubber, you could ship the headlamp back to me, I'll do it, and send it back. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, that's the other option. I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner!

Kevin

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch breaks in and gets way smoother!

When removing batteries I suggest neg end first as the tabs can snag the wrapper around the button on flat tops.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah Kevin, I can handle it! :thumbsup: I got the 080 screws in so, this'll be "cake"! As I said before, fine construction---I am very pleased!

Karl

Thanks, Karl! That's high praise!

I came to the same realization yesterday with respect to the battery case, and started using contact cement (Permatex) to hold the rubber on the top of the battery case. It works very well, and is now standard. If you want me to glue the rubber, you could ship the headlamp back to me, I'll do it, and send it back. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, that's the other option. I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner!

Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm at a conference until Jan 10th. Fabienne and DirtyCaver, I'll PM you soon so that I can get the details straight, then build and ship when I get home.

Happy new year!

Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
Hi all,

we hit a small snag...The company making the switches for me tests EVERY batch. The good news is that the switches work exactly as they claim they will for at least as long as they say they will or they don't ship. That's the advantage of good military contractors! :thumbsup:

The bad news is that the batch of springs they got on 1/2/2012 do not hold up as well as they want them to. My shipment SHOULD be here in 5 or 6 days. :thumbsdow

So more headlamps will be ready soon, but it'll take a few more days to get they out to you. I'm sorry about the delay.

Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
Hi all,

I have good news and bad news...

The good news: the company that is manufacturing the switches for me tests EVERY batch of components. If they do not perform better than the specs in all cases, they don't ship them. That's the advantage of aerospace and military contractors! :thumbsup:

The bad news: the springs they got for the new batch of switches in December didn't meet their standards. They say that my switches will be shipped in 4 days (they had the whole staff work the weekend). I'll get them out to you as soon as I can when I get the switches (probably 1-2 headlamps a day). :thumbsdow

Sorry for the delay,
Kevin

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's MORE good news....Kevin's lights are well worth the wait!:thumbsup:

Karl

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
I've been trying to figure out a good way to mount these on bicycles, and found a website in the UK that has some handlebar mounts for blade mount.

http://www.stenlight-caving.co.uk/product/stenlight-bike-mount/

They are kinda pricy ($20 before shipping), but the only other option I can think of that's as cheap is to do a 1/4"x20 camera mount and thread it into the fins on the bottom. Since i don't bike, I have no idea which would work better. What do you guys think?

Oh, and they have a cheaper headband mount too:

http://www.caplamps.co.uk/cordless-led-miners-lamps/ ,

which is less nice than the Sten headband, but is about 1/2 the price.

Kevin

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was out of town for a bit on a bike trip and used the HL a bunch!
Everything's going smooth so far except for mangling a few cells wrappers
removing them from the carrier.
I've bent the contacts (very poorly) & no more snags :)
I still intent to post a review in the HL section once I'm not so busy.

Been running a 3.6a ~4500k XM-L mostly.

I can't afford another quad right now so I'm planning on a 4000k 4.2a XM-L next.

I hope alls well and look forward to the flood module/running light.

Been too lazy/busy to glue down the seal on pack too. Seems water tight.
Rain later this week so we will see!

I'm only using it on my helmet right now as my headband set up is too difficult to swap in the field.
I'll probably just get the sten one since I'm using the blade.

I'm also using unprotected NCR18650a as my modules all have low v warning.

I haven't gone through all 12400mah in one go yet!!!

One more thing- we did some light 4wheeling and I used the lamp as a spotter with great success.
XM-L w smooth reflector can throw surprisingly well @3.6a.

kevinm

Enlightened
Can't wait to see the pictures of that with the 3.6A drop-in! Oh, and it is watertight with the seal seated properly. I tested it in my tub for an hour. :)

Anyone tried one with a Malkoff yet?

Kevin

dirtycaver

Newly Enlightened
So it occurs to me that one of the most important attributes about this new light has yet to be discussed... what will it be named?

Kevin - has it been named or are you looking for suggestions?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
K60?

Hey Kevin-
I think a small slot on the inside wall might be good in the future.
I'm really having a tuff time removing modules with copper tape.

On my other lights I press fit them super tight and push em out from the bottom.

I'm too scared to even try installing my Van quad in there ;)
Wouldn't wanna have to drill it out!!