• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: Custom P60 Headlamp (with prototype!)

kevinm

Enlightened
This may be getting into the arena of "The Name Game" (showing my age to all of you "kids" out there--Google it! HA!). I do think the Newt reference may not satisfy the need for a MAN-LEY :devil: (get it???) lighting device sooooo, how's about "The Manley P60 Headlamp"....?? I do think the creator should get some credit here and the rest of the moniker describes the light...doesn't it? :thumbsup: Wadaya say?:)

Karl

The Banana Fanana Headlamp! :)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotta say Manley 26m is the tuffest sounding name so far ;)

Although Im aight with guillotine as well!

Or maybe name it after a super baddass cave etc?

I'm still looking for a source of affordable silver played oxygen free copper cable that's 16awg and in a 5.5mm jacket...

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm opposed to adding P60 into the name
Kave 26MTB? A little bit of everything and Initials... sort of

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO! KavinLight thats how my uncle from WI said my brother Kevin's name! LOL ah memories of my lil brother sulking

ooo but no Kavin could also sound like cave-in ooo nooo good LOL anyway

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not the "P60" inclusion Brian, though I'm "game" for any name other than "Custom P60 Headlamp" (sorry Kevin)? Just curious...:)

Did I say this is one FINE headlamp? Get one and you'll see for yourself!:thumbsup:

Karl

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Hmmm...Kave 26 or Kavelite (sp?) might just work.

Thinking about the impressive caves I've visited, we have:

Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Groaning, Fairy, Black, Hell Below, Hidden, Cottonwood, Fixin' to Die, Breezeway, Spring Cave, Narrows Any of those sound good?

I think Manley 26mm might give the ladies the wrong idea. :)

I looked at a friend with it on high. His response was, "Get that damn thing outta my eyes! Thing's bright as Hades!" Yeah, he's nerdy and old. What about "Hades"?

kevinm

Enlightened
Fabienne, I sent a couple of PM's about shipping, but I'm not sure they are getting though!

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kave60
KAV(make up something to fit acronym)60
AK60 or AK26?
Stalag-light ;(

These aluminum switches are LIGHT btw!

I'm getting close in output to my friends 7xpg Lupine with WAY better tint.
The lexan isn't scratching as bad as I feared either! Mines been covered in mud a few times now.
It gets carelessly wiped with the back of a glove here n there too.

Ok back to work for me....

kevinm

Enlightened
One more post for the moment...

What are you guys running in the headlamps? I have a NB 1.4A XP-G, a NB SST-50, and a 3.1A XM-L dropin. All work well.

I tried a Malkoff; it worked well too (but I like multiple modes). Beautiful beam.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest 3.5a XM-L neutral or warm with smooth reflector.
2 mode hi/lo

Lots of modes are a bit fiddly without a reverse clicky IMO.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also- everyone needs to wrap their drops a bit conservatively or they won't get them out again.
It's a fine balance between heat transfer and removability ;)

kevinm

Enlightened
Kave60
KAV(make up something to fit acronym)60
AK60 or AK26?
Stalag-light ;(

These aluminum switches are LIGHT btw!

I'm getting close in output to my friends 7xpg Lupine with WAY better tint.
The lexan isn't scratching as bad as I feared either! Mines been covered in mud a few times now.
It gets carelessly wiped with the back of a glove here n there too.

Ok back to work for me....

Stalag-light is BRILLIANT! :crackup:

I thought they had shorted me on my switch order when I picked up the box. Almost 1/2 oz lighter than the steel ones each!

dirtycaver

Newly Enlightened
I like Stalaglight or Stal-lite too. If you're going to go with a cave name use Lechuguilla, why compromise? Lechlight?

I will agree with everyone else, this thing is a work of art. Well machined and well finished, and looks like it will be quite durable but is yet to be cave tested. The assembly quality is very high - better than I could do. With a full set of batteries it is a little heavy on the helmet but manageable (I'm not sure if I have a steel or Al switch). The amount of potential light is huge, I will be casting shadows and hearing the swears of everyone who dares to crawl in front of me.

Although anodizing is non-conductive, the exposed solder points on the battery holder scared me a bit so I put some electrical tape along the edges of the carriers. I don't want to wait and see just how long (if ever) it might take for the cairrier jostling inside the box to scratch through and create a short. With 12.4 amp-hours of battery on my head, that is a terrifying thought - even with protected batteries.

One design (or assembly?) question: the molex plug in the battery box is put together backwards - i.e. the sockets are in the receptacle and the pins are in the plug. This is backwards from the way molex are usually/suppose to be put together. Was this done on purpose? I'm not sure if it has any long-term lifetiime implications for the plug, but it does mean that you cannot use any other standard pinned molex connector. I have a few other battery packs with the normal 0.062 connectors so that is sort of a bummer. I would cut them off and re-terminate them but I need every mm of cable that I have right now and I'm not sure there is enough extra wire on the battery boxes. Anyway, I'm sure I can figure out a fix down the road.

Thanks for the great light!

kevinm

Enlightened
I like Stalaglight or Stal-lite too. If you're going to go with a cave name use Lechuguilla, why compromise? Lechlight?

If I can get into Lech, I'd love to name it that. :)

I will agree with everyone else, this thing is a work of art. Well machined and well finished, and looks like it will be quite durable but is yet to be cave tested. The assembly quality is very high - better than I could do. With a full set of batteries it is a little heavy on the helmet but manageable (I'm not sure if I have a steel or Al switch). The amount of potential light is huge, I will be casting shadows and hearing the swears of everyone who dares to crawl in front of me.

Thanks! I get cursed at a lot too. I've been using prototype for months now in cave, and it's holding up well.

Although anodizing is non-conductive, the exposed solder points on the battery holder scared me a bit so I put some electrical tape along the edges of the carriers. I don't want to wait and see just how long (if ever) it might take for the cairrier jostling inside the box to scratch through and create a short. With 12.4 amp-hours of battery on my head, that is a terrifying thought - even with protected batteries.

It shouldn't happen (the tight fit should prevent that kind of scraping), but the tape is a good idea.

One design (or assembly?) question: the molex plug in the battery box is put together backwards - i.e. the sockets are in the receptacle and the pins are in the plug. This is backwards from the way molex are usually/suppose to be put together. Was this done on purpose? I'm not sure if it has any long-term lifetiime implications for the plug, but it does mean that you cannot use any other standard pinned molex connector. I have a few other battery packs with the normal 0.062 connectors so that is sort of a bummer. I would cut them off and re-terminate them but I need every mm of cable that I have right now and I'm not sure there is enough extra wire on the battery boxes. Anyway, I'm sure I can figure out a fix down the road.

ACK!!!! I looked at old photos of the Sten, but I must have switched it; the intent was to make them the same. If (when) it starts to bug you, send it back to me, and I'll change it around. If you have the Molex pin remover tool ($13, pricy), you can push the pins out, swap the plastic parts, and reassemble. I'm sorry about that;
I won't make that mistake again. :stupid:

Thanks for the great light!

Welcome! Thanks for buying one!