• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: Custom P60 Headlamp (with prototype!)

simples

Newly Enlightened
From looking at the pictures, and the channel that's milled out, It's just a board to make a connection from the postive terminal of the battery/switch to the positive spring on the dropin. The channel is most likely there to hold a piece of wire, with the part under the positive spring being an actual hard board (or it will just be a long, narrow board the switch/positive connection will be soldered to), with insulation around the edges, to prevent any short circuiting from happening.

~Brian

Thanks Brian.

Doesn't putting a side LED (that presumably isn't in drop-in form) negate any upgradeability benefit that might claimed from using drop-in module in the first place?

bstrickler

Enlightened
Thanks Brian. Doesn't putting a side LED (that presumably isn't in drop-in form) negate any upgradeability benefit that might claimed from using drop-in module in the first place?
The side LED (which will go in the rectangular area, where the switch is) will likely be a flood LED, for general area and close up lighting. It probably won't be driven too hard (to keep it from being too bright up close). Probably a few 7135's to regulate the power going to it. ~Brian

simples

Newly Enlightened
The side LED (which will go in the rectangular area, where the switch is) will likely be a flood LED, for general area and close up lighting. It probably won't be driven too hard (to keep it from being too bright up close). Probably a few 7135's to regulate the power going to it. ~Brian

Got that Brian, but KevM has argued that using a P60 drop-in, overcomes (in his words, not mine) the same failing as all the other lamps so far: the LED's will be outdated in 3 months'.

So will that flood LED somehow be immune to going out of date then?

bstrickler

Enlightened
Got that Brian, but KevM has argued that using a P60 drop-in, overcomes (in his words, not mine) the same failing as all the other lamps so far: the LED's will be outdated in 3 months'.

So will that flood LED somehow be immune to going out of date then?

Oh.

It will probably depend on how it's mounted. If it's mounted without optics, it could just be a standard sized 20mm star with an LED, and the star screwed and Arctic Silvered to the aluminum, to allow for user replacement. Would make sense to mount it that way, in my opinion. Even if it's an XP-G with a 10mm optic (for example), it's still able to be replaced, assuming he uses the lexan to hold the optic to the LED.

Optimum mounting in my opinion would be a user selectable wide, medium, or narrow XP-G 10mm optic, with holes already drilled/tapped for a 20mm star, in case the end-user should decide to pick a different LED to mount. Maybe do the 10mm optic + LED as an option, and the 20mm holes as the standard.

Last edited:

simples

Newly Enlightened
Oh.

Would make sense to mount it that way, in my opinion.

I agree 110% with you Brian. IMO it would make sense to mount both LEDs in that way. Makes for the potentially cheapest future upgrade with the best available bits. However, KevM has a determined pitch, that a P60 drop-in will save you from having to get your soldering iron out, which clearly it won't.

BTW, Im struggling to see where exactly the flood LED will mount to achieve a decent thermal interface with the main body. I guess something could be bodged in there to sort of do the job.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ the flood thing is more like an optional running light I think.

I dont see why yer hating on it?

some people here have a few if not more drop-ins they would like to be able to use
in a headlamp host as well as their handhelds.

its not as elegant as some of the mainstream dedicated head/helmet lights out there
for sure but it serves a unique purpose. Being able to select the module you want to
use or upgrade to is still the idea and the flood is an afterthought as there is extra
space due to machining and the switch.

simples

Newly Enlightened
^^^ the flood thing is more like an optional running light I think.

I dont see why yer hating on it?

some people here have a few if not more drop-ins they would like to be able to use
in a headlamp host as well as their handhelds.

That's a little rough Psychbeat. I've asked some reasonable questions about the drop in thing, and as a concept I'm not buying it yet, but I'm trying to be open minded. I only stumbled across this because KevM came on 3 seperate threads, that I've been quietly following, and posted up links to this concept which apparantly 'addresses the massive failing of all other lamps'. Figured it must be good as lamp builders don't generally jump on threads that are discussing other builders stuff, and trash them. So I deided that I should pop across and find out what this eureka revelation is.

So, moving on, do you really have lots of drop-ins, all bang up to date, but all subtely diffferent enough, that its worth swapping between them for different jobs ???? I could maybe buy that logic (on a slightly obsessive level), but the upgradability thing strikes me as a red herring.

On an unrelated note, I think you and I must have an interest in a lot of the same threads. It's probably my imagination, but you seem to pop up on every thread I read with an 'I emailed that dude but he didn't get back to me' comment. I never seem to get that problem when I mail people who want to sell me something, so was thinking that it might be worth you checking you pc mail filters or something, if that's any help mate.

bstrickler

Enlightened
So, moving on, do you really have lots of drop-ins, all bang up to date, but all subtely diffferent enough, that its worth swapping between them for different jobs ???? I could maybe buy that logic (on a slightly obsessive level), but the upgradability thing strikes me as a red herring.

I myself have 3 different LED dropins that I frequently switch between. 1 XM-L 3.5A 3-mode dropin (lower modes are PWM, which I'm not a fan of, because I can see it), 1 XM-L single 7135 dropin (sometimes I don't need the full power of the 3.5A light, and don't want to deal with the PWM, as it bugs me), and 1 XR-E neutral white dropin, for when I prefer to appreciate the colors of everything. I plan on making a dropin or two that utilize optics, so that will make even more dropins I will use.

With that said, I myself have been looking for a P60 dropin headlamp for a while, because I enjoy the user-friendly upgradeability, but they've all become vaporware in the end.

~Brian

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^@simples

I do have a variety of p60 modules ranging from throwy to flood.

I'd like to be able to use them in a HL host and also to try new tints/emitters as they are released.

P60s tend to have the newest tints and flux bins available. Check out Nailbenders thread.

I personally dont think other dedicated HL are inferior than this host. I just want to be able to switch modules rather than soldering in a new emitter or driver. I've used Lupines and other high end lights and they are beautiful.
A friend has a Lupine 7x XP-G that's cool white. He wants to change it to neutral and doesn't solder/mod. I told him to get some film. With this host the change would be easier.
Sell the drop-in after buying the tint u like.

There are many inherent drawbacks to the p60 format but it still remains a popular one with an unreal amount of choices.

Thanks for the email tip.

kevinm

Enlightened

That's one of the two competing ideas. The other is a reflector-less drop-in. There's room, but barely. It all depends on a reply I'm waiting for about the switch. Brian, I think you've got this thing figured out!

simples

Newly Enlightened
wow, thats nice collection of drop-ins between you, and lots of different options. Sounds like you should both order a few host lamps. Be a great way to store your drop-ins, and really really easy when you fancied using a different light profile.

@physbeat Im not sure that p60 drop-ins are necessarily bang up to date. Low cost flashlight diy ones obviously arn't and have nasty tints or questionable LED integrity, and are almost obsolete by the time they arrive sometimes. Good ones, like the nailbender probably are more up to date (not quite as up to date as the actual LEDs obviously, as they would have to come first) but are quite a bit more expensive than the LEDs I assume.

I would imagine that mass produced stuff like Lupines are designed very specifically for you not to be able to get at them, even if you can drive a soldering iron. I'm not sure that I'd start tearing a lamp like that apart and try to modify it. I would agree therfore that upgradability is a benefit of using p60 over such lamps, but there are also other lamps where swapping the LEDs when they get a bit long in the tooth is as easy, and cheaper than replacing a drop-in.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
@simples:
I still don't think sourcing my own emitters and optics as well as drivers + soldering them in/on is easier than ordering a new drop-in and unscrewing 8 screws.

Especially if its on a whim that id like to run my 1.4a XR-E rather than my 4.2a neutral quad XP-G.
Or maybe swap reflectors?

And contrary to what you've said p60s tend to have the most up to date emitters available in the latest tints with the drivers probably being the weak link.

I'll stop trying to convince u now :)

Kevin- I'm looking forward to any updates on the switch flood stuff.

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
That's one of the two competing ideas. The other is a reflector-less drop-in. There's room, but barely. It all depends
on a reply I'm waiting for about the switch. Brian, I think you've got this thing figured out!

I'm not planning to take mechanical engineering for no reason! I tend to think about things like that.

~Brian

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Brian I was responding to Simples. I've edited my post to clarify.

I do understand the host and was arguing it's merits!

I've got a few diff modules I'd like to try in it- floody throwy etc.

kevinm

Enlightened
its not as elegant as some of the mainstream dedicated head/helmet lights out there
for sure but it serves a unique purpose.

Hey! It's elegant! I couldn't keep a straight face typing that. :)

It's built like a tank and to make the machining cheap while answering the requests of a pile of CPF'ers. It's NOT elegant, you're right. Others that make elegant and beautiful lights gave up on this project because it wasn't going to be light and elegant.

I personally dont think other dedicated HL are inferior than this host. I just want to be able to switch modules rather than soldering in a new emitter or driver. I've used Lupines and other high end lights and they are beautiful.

I don't think that mine is superior either; it just addresses one fault of other headlamps for people who don't mod stuff. If someone wants to trade me a Scurion for one of these, I'll take it! Is the Prius better than the Ferrari because it gets better gas mileage? They excel at different things.

Being able to select the module you want to
use or upgrade to is still the idea and the flood is an afterthought as there is extra
space due to machining and the switch.

Exactly.

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Sorry Brian I was responding to Simples. I've edited my post to clarify.

I do understand the host and was arguing it's merits!

I've got a few diff modules I'd like to try in it- floody throwy etc.

Actually, I'm the one that got mixed up, oops!!! I apparently misread your post! I'll fix mine as well.

That was the first plan (and still might be the case).
thumbsup.gif
The other is a reflector-less drop-in. It'll fit, but barely. It all depends on a technical point about the switch. I'm still waiting for an answer there.

You already posted the 2nd half of your reply here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?323904-Feeler-Custom-P60-Headlamp-(with-prototype!)&p=3768274&viewfull=1#post3768274

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting confused/lost in all these posts!

I think I may be getting the size off a little bit for the chamber, though, since there's not much reference for sizes.

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
With that said, I myself have been looking for a P60 dropin headlamp for a while, because I enjoy the user-friendly upgradeability, but they've all become vaporware in the end.

~Brian

I'm trying to fix that. It's a hard thing to shell out $1000-2000 for something that might not pan out. Plus the time...I've spent more time with SolidWorks than my girlfriend or caving in the last 2 months.

That written, I'm excited about trying it. With 3 people on board so far, that might be enough to go for it!

Last edited: