• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler for metal boot retaining ring for Macs tri-edc

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm expecting quotes from two CNC guys, so I'm pretty sure that these will be made. Just not sure of the price yet.

Would it make more sense to start a list of buyers here, or in the Group Buy sub-forum?

I'd be in for one please in ti.

Thanks you.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my ring! Awesome job Fred!
e2a72bb8c6f92c522c7b06721382b4d7.jpg

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Ah, the O ring is missing...I was trying to figure out why it was looking different. Sweet, thanks for the pic! What did you use to screw it down?

IsaacL

Enlightened
Got mine today as well. Machining work is superb, my compliments!

A bent paper clip is what I've been using since day one. The thick ones seem to fit perfectly. I have tried the tweezers and needle nose with less success. Whatever works for you should be ok.

Not sure what you mean by o-ring Espionage...:thinking:

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
On my Mac there is an Oring surrounding the button which I think must be covering up the plastic ring? I've not taken it apart before so this is the first I've seen of the light without the Oring.

IsaacL

Enlightened
On my Mac there is an Oring surrounding the button which I think must be covering up the plastic ring? I've not taken it apart before so this is the first I've seen of the light without the Oring.

Someone stuck that on there themselves then cause that's not part of the design. The o-ring thing has come up before and there was some confusion with McGizmos. Not sure why anyone would want to stick a loose o-ring on the tail...:thinking: Feel free to liberate your Mac's booty at any time :thumbsup:

IsaacL

Enlightened
Here's my latest tally. Keep in mind it's been running since last October so all figures are approximate estimates. Big thanks to Fred for stepping in.:twothumbs

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my latest tally. Keep in mind it's been running since last October so all figures are approximate estimates. Big thanks to Fred for stepping in.:twothumbs

I hope that you wouldn't mind keeping this list going, Isaac?

Let me try to provide some insight about the project and the possible pricing. As some of you know, I sold the extra Ti retaining rings that I made for $35, postpaid. One might logically conclude that if we were to get, say, 200 of these made that the cost would be less than $35. However, that appears to not be the case, for a variety of reasons: 1) most CNC shops prefer large orders, not only in numerical count, but also in dollar amounts. Certainly 200 pieces seems large, at least to us, but not to a CNC shop, and 2) this definitely does not qualify as a high dollar value order. Any decent shop would prefer tens of thousands of dollars as a minimum order, preferably 100s of thousands. This order will of of interest only to the small shops.

So while I'm hoping to get a better quote, the one I have now will make rings that I can sell for the $35 amount, the same as what I sold my manually produced rings for. But the minimum that I have to order for that price is 200 pieces. We need to see a lot more interest to make this economical for all.

If my second shop comes in lower, then the cost per ring will be lower as well--anywhere from $25 to $30 would be my hoped for price.

IsaacL

Enlightened
I hope that you wouldn't mind keeping this list going, Isaac?

Let me try to provide some insight about the project and the possible pricing. As some of you know, I sold the extra Ti retaining rings that I made for $35, postpaid. One might logically conclude that if we were to get, say, 200 of these made that the cost would be less than $35. However, that appears to not be the case, for a variety of reasons: 1) most CNC shops prefer large orders, not only in numerical count, but also in dollar amounts. Certainly 200 pieces seems large, at least to us, but not to a CNC shop, and 2) this definitely does not qualify as a high dollar value order. Any decent shop would prefer tens of thousands of dollars as a minimum order, preferably 100s of thousands. This order will of of interest only to the small shops.

So while I'm hoping to get a better quote, the one I have now will make rings that I can sell for the $35 amount, the same as what I sold my manually produced rings for. But the minimum that I have to order for that price is 200 pieces. We need to see a lot more interest to make this economical for all.

If my second shop comes in lower, then the cost per ring will be lower as well--anywhere from $25 to $30 would be my hoped for price.

Of course, I will keep it updated as best I can.

Just a thought but, we may be able to generate more interest if we start thread about these in the Mac's Customs subforum. There have been a few Mac related topics posted outside of there recently and I'm sure many people have missed them altogether. I know I was unaware of one until I stumbled across it by accident.

Unrelated to this project, but I'd love some advice on finding CNC shops willing to do small runs/projects.