Feilong Li-Ion 32650 cells TESTED!

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review on these cells. Jay built me a triple XML 6D Mag with 5 of these in it and it's super bright, and gets LONG run times!
Judging from your results, I should have no problem doing a big Incan build.... Been wanting to use the 5 cells I have to push an Osram 64456 instead of using an adapter with 18 AA Nimh cells

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colonel Sanders, another CPF'er recommended you and your testing setup.

I am strongly considering ordering two Feilong 32650 3.2v nominal LiFePO4 cells, with a claimed 5000mAh capacity.

My application calls for only 205mA draw per cell, so I am hoping I may actually get between 4500 and 5000mAh.

However, there is no data on the web concerning these, other than the fact they exist.

1) If I purchased two of them, would you be willing to run some discharge tests at, say, 350mA, 500mA, one amp, three amps, and five amps?

2) If so, would you be willing to publish those results in this thread?

I am hesitant to spend the money on an unknown straight from China, but I have benefited from others doing this so many times,
I'd be willing to take a chance.

jayrob has stated that the more recent batches of Feilong 32650 3.7v cells (lithium cobalt) have seen a decrease in quality, and I am extremely curious as to whether the Feilong 32650 3.2v LiFePO4 cells are worth anything at all...

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, I'd be glad to test them for you. :thumbsup: I think since they are a different cell I'd start a new thread for reporting their results.

I'd also be curious to know about the decrease in quality of the LiCo 32650s (I have been thinking about buying a few more.) Jayrob, what's up with the latest cells?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, thank you.

I'll start a new thread called "Feilong 32650 3.2v LiFePO4 Cells" when I get them and reserve the first post,
then ask you to PM me your mailing address to send them your way to be evaluated.

jayrob pointed me to this thread, so hopefully he can answer your question about the decrease in cell quality.

EDIT: Order placed for two Feilong 32650 3.2v LiFePO4 cells. Will start thread and forward them to you once received.

EDIT #2: It suppose it makes more sense for you to start the new thread. Looking forward to getting these!

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Sure, I'd be glad to test them for you. :thumbsup: I think since they are a different cell I'd start a new thread for reporting their results.

I'd also be curious to know about the decrease in quality of the LiCo 32650s (I have been thinking about buying a few more.) Jayrob, what's up with the latest cells?

Well I never had the new Feilong cells tested like you did with the early ones, but let me tell you why I made the statement that they were not the same quality...

I build 1000 lumen Mag mods, and the 2 cell builds are just fine with the newer Feilongs. Because that build uses a buck driver, and with 2 cells, it only needs to draw about 1.5 Amps from the supply.

But with my single cell builds using a 3 Amp linear driver, the newer style Feilongs did not give me good output. I would only be able to get maybe 2.2 Amps.

I am now stocking the new 6000mAh 32650 cells from KD. They are proving to be good quality. I can put one of those in one of my single cell builds even at storage voltage of 3.8, and it still gives 3 Amps. So that tells me that it is a quality cell. :)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colonel Sanders said:

Surprise! The cells came today.

I'll try and get them out to you for testing tomorrow.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, Colonel, they are on the way!

I paid extra for the USPS Small Flat Rate box, even though I could have saved the cash by using my own box.

I wanted to get them out to you today.

I also included six dollars cash for you to use a USPS Small Flat Rate Box to return them to me.

Very much looking forward to your test results. :)

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. :cool: I'll do my best to tell you what you want to know. Any details of how you want the tests done? Most importantly, what discharge rates do you want to use and at what voltage do you want the tests stopped?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Colonel.

1) Why don't you start a new thread, "Feilong LiFePO4 32650 Cells Tested" so we can continue discussion there and not clutter this thread?

2) Make a filler post to start where the results will go, and I will reply beneath it. We can continue there, and leave this thread for comments regarding the Feilong 32650 3.7–4.2v lithium cobalt cells.

lowks

Newly Enlightened
What is the best battery charger for this kind of batteries ?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. :cool: I'll do my best to tell you what you want to know. Any details of how you want the tests done? Most importantly, what discharge rates do you want to use and at what voltage do you want the tests stopped?

1) As far as how the tests are done...I'm really not sure.

2) For discharge rates...hmm...

100mA
350mA
500mA
1,000mA
3,000mA
5,000mA (1C rate)

3) Full charge at 3.65v

4) Full discharge at 2.50v

Is this okay?