Fenix ARE-C2 charger

Actually, mine reads 1.4 when fully charging NiMH (not 1.5 as I originally wrote). That is, 1.4V with three bars and no flashing bars.

Mine SAYS it charges them to 1.5V too on the readout,but I suspect that that number is just a readout not an actual charge voltage because when I test them with an accurate MM, the batteries read 1.45 which is more or less the same as my NiMH batteries read when coming off other chargers.

Varta brand AAA batteries. And a further correction following more thorough use of the charger: with these batteries, the FIRST and THIRD lanes read 1.4V and the SECOND and FORTH lanes read 1.5V - both with three bars and no flashing.

Can I ask you what NiMH batteries are you using?

357mag1

Enlightened
I do not have it in queue, but it is probably just about the same as the ThruNite MCC-4, that I have reviewed.

I do have a lot of other chargers in queue and not all of them are good (I found one that sometimes charges LiIon to 4.4 volt).

I got one for Christmas and my quality Japanese cells come off it at anywhere from 4.22 - 4.26 volts as measured on my Fluke 87 Multimeter.

Very disappointed! Fortunately I have a bunch of LG and Samsung cells that are designed to be charged to 4.3 or 4.35 volts so it isn't a total waste.

357mag1

Enlightened
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Used it for the first time yesterday. First charged 4 18650s that had not been charged in quite some time (they were not fully discharged). Then followed up with charging 2 18650s, again they were not fully discharged.

I have read that this charger can get hot while working. Mine did not get hot at all...nor did the batteries. I'm certainly no expert but I am very pleased with mine so far.

Do you have a multimeter so you can check the voltage of the cell after fully charged? If your unit is like mine it is charging the cells too high and that is a great way to kill them, not to mention dangerous.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Varta brand AAA batteries. And a further correction following more thorough use of the charger: with these batteries, the FIRST and THIRD lanes read 1.4V and the SECOND and FORTH lanes read 1.5V - both with three bars and no flashing.
Thanks, much appreciated! : )

I have not had any of those problems. I mostly get 4.19 or similar on my MM when the battery comes off and the charger shows 3 non-flashing bars.

With NiMH batteries, even though the charger may read 1.5, on my MM, the battery is 1.45 or similar.

This charger seems fine to me but we need an HKJ review.

I got one for Christmas and my quality Japanese cells come off it at anywhere from 4.22 - 4.26 volts as measured on my Fluke 87 Multimeter.

Very disappointed! Fortunately I have a bunch of LG and Samsung cells that are designed to be charged to 4.3 or 4.35 volts so it isn't a total waste.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
Still nothing more on this charger?

I bought one a couple of months ago and promptly returned it after it charged a variety of ICR Li-ions (16340, 14500, and 18650s) anywhere from 4.25v to 4.29v...just too high, accelerating battery wear. The display was only an approximation and stopped at 4.2v regardless of how far beyond it actually charged. Ultimately went w/the new Xtar VP2 *(Li-ion only) and like it a lot better since it displays a fairly accurate finishing voltage upon completion, as well as many other premium features that go beyond the ARE-C2s abilities.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
I bought one a couple of months ago and promptly returned it after it charged a variety of ICR Li-ions (16340, 14500, and 18650s) anywhere from 4.25v to 4.29v...just too high, accelerating battery wear. The display was only an approximation and stopped at 4.2v regardless of how far beyond it actually charged. Ultimately went w/the new Xtar VP2 *(Li-ion only) and like it a lot better since it displays a fairly accurate finishing voltage upon completion, as well as many other premium features that go beyond the ARE-C2s abilities.

Where did you purchase the XTAR VP2? I can only find the VP1

Edit: I just found it on illuminationGear and it looks like the VP2 model has been factory RECALLED due to durability concerns with the plastic housing. VP2 new-build updated Model will be offered beginning around mid March 2014.

Last edited:

Latest posts