Votes: 75 33.8%
  • Buy Both, Keep Both

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • Buy none, Keep none

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I wonder if some of the packs, maybe in China or some other market, came with a battery and that "lobster claw" clip that comes with some of the other Fenix lights. I didn't get the clip or battery with my E1, either.

Geoff

bucken

Enlightened
My extra "pockets" were empty, too. Just got the light (still lovin' it), split ring, and extra o-ring. I think that's all we're supposed to get.

22hornet

Enlightened
E0 = waterproof !

I received a Fenix L2T and an E0 the day before yesterday.
This evening, while playing with the E0 while sitting on the toilet, the E0 fell in the toilet.

Took it out :awman:, washed it thoroughly, and it shined as if nothing had happened.

Now, I do not have an ARC (it is ordered but hasn't arrived yet), I am pretty happy with the E0. It gives a good amount of light for the size.

Joris

meat

Newly Enlightened
:toilet: :laughing: Man, there's an icon for everything here.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my E0 today! I also own an Arc AAA-P. Let compare them.

Fenix E0:
- A little less bright to the eye than the Arc.
- The beam is as blueish as the Arc I own.
- The beam is a lot smoother than my Arc.
- Seems lighter than the Arc to me.
- The finish and the polishing of the "reflector" is better than the Arc.
- Mid-agressive knurling on the head and soft knuling (L0P type) on the body.
- Length is a little smaller than the Arc.
- Based on chevrofreak's runtime test, 11h fully regulated and diminishing after on alkaline.
- Can stand on its tail (candle mode).
- Cheap (20$ including shipping at www.fenix-store.com).
- Lifetime warranty.

Arc AAA-P:
- A little brighter.
- The beam of my Arc is as blueish as my E0.
- The beam is more ringy than my E0.
- Agressive knurling on the head and on the body.
- The finish is more ringy (less polished machining) but the anodizing seems a lot better.
- Comes with a clip.
- 5h semi-regulated on alkaline.
- Cannot stand on its tail.
- Expensive (40$ + shipping).
- Lifetime warranty.

Now my personnal comments! I first bought the Arc AAA-P because I found reviews nice and YES it is a nice light. I love its shape, the fact that it comes with a clip, its runtime. Now, I also find the E0 a nice light! I also like it's shape, both are really small and handy. Even if it is a little dimmer, the light is still a lot useful in dark (I compared both). The runtime is also amazing but the Arc still have a nice runtime even if the LED is a little bit overdriven. About the overdriving of the Arc, I'm pretty sure that the LED will last a lot more time on the E0 because I saw that the LED receive ~23 mA instead of ~60mA. Considering this fact, let talk about the warranty. Both are sold with a lifetime warranty. I see on the Arc's forum that Gransee honors very well the warranty and many people were happy with the service. I'm pretty sure that they will replace an Arc that has dimmed too much over time. Also, many people with old models that broke had them replaced with the newer one! About Fenix, from what I understand, their warranty are honored by sellers. I really don't know how it works between them. But, I ordered all my Fenix lights (L2P, L0P, L2T and E0) from 4sevens at www.fenix-store.com and he has a great service! He will always replace a Fenix for almost all the smallest problems that may be annoying! I also heard that LightHound has a great service for Fenix lights.

If the E0 had been available before or at the same time as the Arc, I think I would have bought it first and I wouldn't have bought the Arc because is it more expensive (twice the price). But since I already own the Arc, I will keep it and it will still serve me a lot. I like both! Buy the E0 because it is cheaper, buy the Arc AAA-P because it is made in USA and has a great warranty from the manufacturer, buy the one that matchs better your needs, buy both because you like all them, I think that they have both their advantages and they are both winners!

I hope you liked this review/comment!

Thanks

WildChild

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are things I don't like about the Arc-AAA-P

I think the knurling on the Arc-P is too rough. Why does it need to cover the whole body? And why is it as sharp as a file? It gets full of skin and crud...

I believe the "waterproof to 100 ft" is bogus. This figure must assume that the unit is ON the entire time it is underwater. When a fresh battery is installed (see next comment) the case does not meet the sealing O-Ring.

This unit has terminals that are too sharp. If you're not careful, you will deeply dent both the top and bottom terminal of the battery (as in, trying to turn the case far enough to go onto the O-Ring). I have not had a battery die yet, but I assume it could be a good reason for early battery death. For this reason, and O-Ring wear, I really won't be considering "Twist ON/OFF" style termination anymore.

Oh, and I almost forgot. That foam donut adhered to the back of the emitter assembly falls off on day one, and is an annoying part of each battery change. It stays stuck down on top of the battery.

EDIT: I found a way to get around the donut hassle. Pull out the battery and shove the donut the whole way down around the negative terminal. It works just as well there, and is no longer an annoying part of battery changing.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
WildChild, I think you've summed up the differences and similarities very well. I've carried a standard Arc AAA for more than three years and been quite satisfied. For this reason I held off on buying a new one. I think I'm glad I waited. After first hearing about the E0 I stated it sounded almost too good to be true. Now that I've had one for about a week it seems to be living up to the claims. Not perfect, certainly, but probably closer than its direct competition. I'd like to think that even if I had purchased the Arc-P I would acknowledge the advantages of the E0. The bar has been raised. Now I'd really like to see Arc meet the challenge.

Geoff

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks bigfoot. I'm going to return my device until they correct the tube issue.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a few months on keychain the knurling become much more smooth as it wear down, making a small point of aluminium appear on each diamonds. ;)

EngrPaul said:
Here are things I don't like about the Arc-AAA-P

I think the knurling on the Arc-P is too rough. Why does it need to cover the whole body? And why is it as sharp as a file? It gets full of skin and crud...

I believe the "waterproof to 100 ft" is bogus. This figure must assume that the unit is ON the entire time it is underwater. When a fresh battery is installed (see next comment) the case does not meet the sealing O-Ring.

This unit has terminals that are too sharp. If you're not careful, you will deeply dent both the top and bottom terminal of the battery (as in, trying to turn the case far enough to go onto the O-Ring). I have not had a battery die yet, but I assume it could be a good reason for early battery death. For this reason, and O-Ring wear, I really won't be considering "Twist ON/OFF" style termination anymore.

Oh, and I almost forgot. That foam donut adhered to the back of the emitter assembly falls off on day one, and is an annoying part of each battery change. It stays stuck down on top of the battery.

EDIT: I found a way to get around the donut hassle. Pull out the battery and shove the donut the whole way down around the negative terminal. It works just as well there, and is no longer an annoying part of battery changing.

*Retired*
TinderBox (UK) said:
I measured the current drawn from my ARC-P and my E0.

and they both measured as drawing 81mah on my DMM.

so why does the E0 run for so much longer than my ARC-P.

can somebody explain.

thankyou.

John.

Most likely LED efficiency and converter efficiency.

Of course, I could have just said it was Fenix magic.

Hopefully, you didn't use the 300-400mA range, there is significant resistance in the meter and the meter leads, which throws a monkey wrench in things. Grab a 50 milliohm resistor and put that in series with the cell, then measure the millivolts across it.

Last edited:

cloud

Newly Enlightened
Been following this thread :popcorn: on and off ...comparing ARC-P to Fenix EO..

now dont want to go off-topic so to speak...
why has nobody mentioned of peaks model the matterhorn AAA (Arc's competitor) :huh: if we are comparing apples to oranges (ARC-EO)

anyway the EO is a $20 light & for the money it does its job well :rock: as advertised IMHO
a simple keychain EDC for finding the front door keyhole or something dropped in a dark corner.

just my 0.2cents

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I started this thread, I compared 1 LED Pocketable (without reflector) 1AAA Lights that use Nichia CS.

Peak uses Snow 29 LED's that are totally in a different class. (there is no comparison that way)

Further more Fenix E0 is more targeted towards Arc AAA Buyers. (but as you can see from the poll results) the distribution is very even.

(Almost) Equal number of Fenix & Arc Lovers.

What I personaly like about Fenix is
1) Drives LED at 20 mA (very very long lasting light, LED Life time as well)
2) Fenix E0 FULLY regulated atleast for 8 hours (unlike Arc's semi regulation)
3) Output is not that low (in comparison with Arc AAA Rev 4)
4) Can stand on tail (candle mode)

What I personaly like about Arc AAA is
1) Bright
2) Good HA (Mil. Spec)

It totally depends on your needs. if you want a bright short running light or a slightly less bright but looooong running well REGULATED light.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
i had the fenix LOP, arc AAA-P,peak matterhorn all at the same time the peak and fenix i sold shortly afterwords as their finish sucked)and still keep the ARC (now MM modded) iv been prejudiced against both fenix and peak ever since especially fenix.
cloud said:
Been following this thread :popcorn: on and off ...comparing ARC-P to Fenix EO..

now dont want to go off-topic so to speak...
why has nobody mentioned of peaks model the matterhorn AAA (Arc's competitor) :huh: if we are comparing apples to oranges (ARC-EO)

anyway the EO is a $20 light & for the money it does its job well :rock: as advertised IMHO
a simple keychain EDC for finding the front door keyhole or something dropped in a dark corner.

just my 0.2cents

cloud

Newly Enlightened
TENMMIKE said:
i had the fenix LOP, arc AAA-P,peak matterhorn all at the same time the peak and fenix i sold shortly afterwords as their finish sucked)and still keep the ARC (now MM modded) iv been prejudiced against both fenix and peak ever since especially fenix.

Tenmike

Ive all 3 lights E0/ARC/PEAK..
Agree the peaks finish could have been better for the price at around $40 ... for me it is not a major issue though, the way I use my lights for work, they look years old after months.:awman:

My gripe is the led head of the peak, there is just not enough to grip & turn on if you have wet or greasy fingers. they should have knurled the head like the ARC-P:rant:

lawman520

Newly Enlightened
:)
Well, I can't change my vote which stated I'd buy both, but I ordered My Arc-P today...don't see myself buying an E0 now when I probably won't use it (then again, I didn't see myself buying HDS U60 after I got my HDS B42, so who knows?) :)

But for now, the build quality, reliability and past experience of older Arcs won me over and coaxed my C/C out of my wallet. :rock:

CFU
e1 is more good.