Fenix E01

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all credit to Scout24 and to Carrot, yes, that's all you do. Take your steel wool - bunch it up into the reflector area and twist, push, rub for around a minute or so. Remember, you can't go back....but you can always buy another E01 for $10!

In relative terms, yes, you lose throw. Who knows how much - I never really used an E01 for another other than 'near' lighting, but the good news is that the pattern is much more even. So I'd have to say "substantially"....

Here's the one I modded with a brand new one next to it. Probably obvious, but un-modded left, modded right.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot! Thank you!

ryukin2000

Enlightened
Glad I came across this thread. I never really like my E01 because of the ugly beam and tint. Just tried the scrub mod and now it looks a ton better. Thanks guys.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using the cell that came with the light. It was the closest one available when I opened the package. Turned the light on to see the tint; it has been on ever since.

The battery that I am running my test on is Pairdeer Industrial Alkaline. Never heard of them before,but they were included with the lights. I tested the other two Paindeer that I have. They were both 1.58v fresh from the packages.

The voltage seems to be high, but the light works just fine. Let's see if it beats out the Duracell.

It is around 24 hours and the E01 is still going. The output of the E01 is not as bright as it was yesterday, but it is still bright enough to tailstand and use in a bathroom with the door shut. <--- verified by actual bathroom usage by me a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give Vinh a shout, see if he is still willing to mod them. My oldest (Senior in college) has been carrying a Vinh modded black one since I purchased it, still works like new. Not looking new after a couple of years of student keychain carry, but ticking right along.

I could just grab an E05 for the same price, did they ever beef those up? I remember them :poof:ing rabdomly awhile back.

Plus I believe Vihn doesn't provide that service any longer as it was time consuming and not worth the effort vs price. Dude has skills, needs paid.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my 2 E01's that I just ordered a few days ago today, olive for me and purple for my mom, opened mine, popped in the AAA and.......nothing. After a bunch of cell swapping, it started working, but only if I didn't twist it all the way, but now, after playing with it a bunch, it seems to be working fine.

Any ideas as to what is/was wrong with it?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my 2 E01's that I just ordered a few days ago today, olive for me and purple for my mom, opened mine, popped in the AAA and.......nothing. After a bunch of cell swapping, it started working, but only if I didn't twist it all the way, but now, after playing with it a bunch, it seems to be working fine.

Any ideas as to what is/was wrong with it?

Have you tried cleaning the threads with alcohol?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E01 is still going after almost 36 hours. Input is had dropped, but beam is still useful with night adapted eyes. Just took it into an enclosed dark room and was able to navigate with the E01 as the only light source. Was able to hit the target while standing and wash hands. Top beam

is the E01 that has been on for around 36 hours. Bottom beam is an E01 with a new battery. Lights were a few inches away from the wall.

fax6qp.jpg

34pe1s1.jpg

Side by side

x59ted.jpg

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking that yours will outlast mine. My batteries were several years old - took them out of storage to refresh with a new supply. Still, a 2018 expiration date. 1 lumen this morning is plenty bright to illuminate a dark house with night adjusted vision. And plenty to find and hit the target! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery just died. So between 36-37 hours of runtime on the stock battery.