Fenix E1 or L0P or ??? for single AAA

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings all

I am looking for a single AAA light and have been interested in either the Fenix E1 or L0P (local stores are limted) but dont want to pay too much more than what the L0P is worth.

Any suggestions for other lights or am I on the right track?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely LOVE my Fenix LOP, L1P, and L2P.

I don't have the E1, and don't want one.

The reports on the E1 say it has a ringy beam, lower output than the LOP (less than half), but does have better run time.

Lithium batteries make the Fenix lights sing !

carrot

Flashaholic
I like both the L0P and E1 for different reasons. The E1 will run for over two hours on a single AAA but has a bluish tinted beam, which is less than optimal for correct color rendition. It's my keychain light. The L0P, on the other hand, will run for a bit under an hour, is brighter, but puts out a beautiful white beam.

In my opinion, it depends on what you're looking for in a keychain light. If you need the longer runtime, go for the E1. But the L0P is, in my opinion, more impressive to use.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should replace the E1 with the Peak Matterhorn in your list of lights to consider. It comes in two power levels - high power and ultra power. And it comes in 3 body styles - keychain, lug, and pocket.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had my E1 for a day now. I especially like its brightness compared to my old Arc. It's probably 3-4 times brighter. The tint, while slightly blue, is not a problem. It's less blue than the Arc. Fit and finish are excellent. If I have a complaint, it's the rings in the beam, but even this is not bad. What bothered me about the L0P was the short runtime and the higher price (lower now). I felt the current regulation in the E1 was a worthy feature, and unusual in this price range. Most of the time a long steady run is more useful to me than the extra punch of the L0P. But to each his own. Either light is a good choice. Maybe it's time to chant the CPF mantra, "buy both...buy both...buy both"

Geoff

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
I want to second the comments by Carrot and Flying Turtle. The L0P is much brighter than the E1 - at least 3x, as far as I can eyeball it - but the E1 has longer runtime.

If you can only get one, I would recommend getting the L0P -- I'd rather discover I need more runtime than discover I need more output. I can carry extra batteries but the E1 LED is in there for good (barring mods).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have both the E1 and L0P, and second all the suggestions here for going with the L0P. The beam is gorgeous, and the runtime is excellent for the amount of output. I wish I could recommend the E1 (great runtimes), but I find it too hard to get used to the ringy blue beam. Good luck ...

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E1 it has replaced my Arc as a keychain light, I like the fact that it gives
around 3 hours of constant light from a AAA rechargeable cell, it is certainly brighter than my River rock AA light, the beam might have two rings but thay are well away fron the hotspot.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm leaning towards getting the L0P for myself and getting the E1 for my girlfriend..
That way I can still play with it!....

Yeh thats what I'll tell myself, I'll get both because I need them???

Whats happemimg to me...reason fading....compulsion taking over....can't stop!

Dam you CPF Dam you!!!

But seriously guys thanks for the input.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at the new Peak Baltic model,
It actually regulates the output and then goes to a long tail of light after the battery can't supply the needed current. Runtime is 1:45 regulated with many hours following of diminishing light. Run a lithium AAA cell and get 5 hours of regulation. You can call Peak and tell them what power level you prefer to run the T bin LuxeonIII to balance output VS runtime. It is available in stainless steel, HA-III aluminum or brass depending on your needs.
It can also operate on 2xAAA cells with optional bodies (if you want it brighter and longer running) The HA-III aluminum or brass is $50 and stainless runs $60. Not sure if that is way out of your price range, if not give it a look. There is a review in the reviews section of CPF.
Concept, welcome to CPF and watch your wallet!

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHead

Have checked out the Peak site but it is not there? Saw the Ocean series 1W AAA coming soon though!
Sounds like a good light but a little pricey for what I was after.
Thanks for the info.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1 with a good T-binned Luxeon. Still cheaper than the L0P and with a lot better regulation. It isn't quite as bright, but should run 3+ times longer...

I think the IS testing showed the L0P to be less than 20 lumens.... I might not remenber correctly though...

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair

This requires a Mod Yes?
Is this an easy enough light to Mod as I dont have any real experience here.
I can use a soldering Iron but never before on such small equipment!

robertl999

Newly Enlightened
The L0P might be TOO powerful where I need a mini flashlight. That's to assist my tired eyes reading a menu in a resturant. There, a E1 will hopefully fit the bill better, also with its flood beam

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concept said:
NoFair

This requires a Mod Yes?
Is this an easy enough light to Mod as I dont have any real experience here.

Deleted double...

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concept said:
NoFair

This requires a Mod Yes?
Is this an easy enough light to Mod as I don't have any real experience here.

This is a mod. It requires a soldering iron, a little bit of skill with soldering (not much) and a $7 TW0H (or any other bin) luxeon emitter from Photonfanatic:) If you have never soldered small stuff before I would practice a bit on an old radio or something beforehand. It isn't difficult.

You just remove the original emitter and solder in the new one. Test where + and - wires go before you solder it in. bend the legs of the new emitter so it won't turn round when you screw the head back on.
Try to center the new emitter before screwing the head on and you should be golden:)

It took less than 30 mins and I'm very happy with the results. Not as bright as a L0P, but runs a lot longer...