Fenix HL30 Headlamp Adjustable Head Loose

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
I was worried about this from the day I bought it because as you pivoted the head up and down it didn't feel all that snug in each position when new. But now with age if you're still there's no issue but if you're moving or hiking or anything of that nature, which of course everyone is, it will fall all the way down. Staring at it I can't figure out anyway to make this tight! Any suggestions?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had an HL30 for 6-7 years and while I don't use it often, it's got a pretty stiff lockup, but that mechanism is plastic and plastic wears.

Try and fix it creatively. I'll get mine out tomorrow and see what I can see.

Chris

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
There are no "good" way to fix this. But there are ways… but I expected more from Fenix!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try to use an epoxy to build up the two worn down nubs which help ratchet/hold the body in place, or as a last ditch effort, glue the body into an acceptable position and go from there, losing any adjustability.

Chris

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why many of us switched to headlights with a silicon bracket. There is no play for the adjustment while moving. Try something like an Acebeam H40 or Nitecore HC60 v.2 and you won't have that problem anymore. The ratcheting brackets are for easy use (hiking, camping). The silicon brackets are meant for trail running. They all wear out eventually though so it's best to go with one where you can get a replacement. (Nitecore sells replacements). Your headlight's bracket wears out twice as fast as others because you have to move it each time to change the batteries. It's a good light, but they didn't think about that design flaw.