Fenix HL50 Neutral White Headlamp - 'Compact Review' (1xAA or 1xCR123)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice little light and nice review ;).

Seems like a contester to the Zebralights.

rayman

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of these today. Loved the look of it and the specs when it first came out, just had other gear to buy (only so much splash cash).

I've been using an HL21 since they first came out and love it. My wife has one too and raves about it every time she puts it on her head. This is a logical upgrade from an HL21 for those wanting a single AA light with an intuitive UI. CR123 compatibility is a bonus.

The beam is perfect for a headlamp and yes, a 10-15 lumen mode would have made it even better, but as it stands it's still a great headlamp. I just wonder why Fenix is so allergic to moonlight modes and lower mid modes. If I were designing this light the spacing would have been - 0.5, 10, 40 and 100 lumens with the burst modes left as is.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wonder why Fenix is so allergic to moonlight modes and lower mid modes. If I were designing this light the spacing would have been - 0.5, 10, 40 and 100 lumens with the burst modes left as is.

I wonder too. Every time I review one of their lights, I suggest to Fenix that they include moon modes, but this seems to fall on deaf ears.

This is one of those lights I keep going back to, so hopefully you will enjoy it :)