Fenix HP30 (XM-L2, 2x18650/4xCR123A) Headlamp Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS + more!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
That's definitely not right. Appreciate the extended field report - hopefully your dealer at least exchanged units for you? Certainly a worrisome problem. I presume the 18650 cells work normally in other lights?

I was out of town for 5 weeks or so - Iraq, Indonesia & Philippines and just made it to the dealer tonight. It was a frustrating night - I brought in 2 broken eagletacs (G25C2 & SC200) and 2 broken Fenix's including the HP30.

He spent a while on the lights trying to get them going - and we did figure out 1 issue with the HP30. As the batteries get low you can only use it in low like most lights. The difference is, it has a capacitor and when you put new batteries in it still only works on low. The cure for that was to hold the power button down for 5 seconds and then it would work with new batteries. However the switch and cable were bad and we had to mail it in. Same with the Eagletacs which have a 6 month turn around time.

So here's my frustration: I'm on the road for over a month trying to travel as light as possible in war zones and a hurricane. I didn't bring the HP30 with me but 3 of the 4 lights I did bring broke/failed somewhere on the trip. Usually for the sake of travelling light I blow the warranty off and ditch the light. You just can't be packing around bags full of broken electronics in my job! (Besides this I had 2 Garmin GPS units go out!)
So after carrying around broken junk for a month, I take the time to go to the dealer and now I've got no lights and have to wait 3 months for for fenix and 6 months for eagletac!

Fenix and Eagle suck! :rolleyes:

kj2

Flashaholic
Hold the button for 5 secs.. that's new for me too. Sorry, you've that many troubles with lights right at the time you need them. Although these lights should hold-up, I think you should look at lights from Surefire and/or Elzetta. Prices are higher but it reflex in quality.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
He spent a while on the lights trying to get them going - and we did figure out 1 issue with the HP30. As the batteries get low you can only use it in low like most lights. The difference is, it has a capacitor and when you put new batteries in it still only works on low. The cure for that was to hold the power button down for 5 seconds and then it would work with new batteries.
Interesting bit of info. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like you need some really bombproof lights for your work. Hopefully you find something rugged and durable enough.

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Why are some HP30 900 lumens saying cree XML2 and others now XPG? From Amazon:

• Uses Cree XP-G (R5) LED and Nichia red light LED, with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
  • Maximum -Lumen output with a throw of 233 meters and 300 hours on Eco setting
  • 4 Brightness Levels Plus Burst and SOS, Burst-900Lumens, High-500 LM, Mid-200LM, Low-65LM, Eco-4LM
  • Lockout Function;Detachable diffuser lens;60-degree tilt mechanism;Remote battery case with USB port
  • HP30 pack comes with Four CR123A LegionArms Battery pack

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
We used the HP30 for a night kayaks my adventure this weekend. Battery life wasn't even close to advertised. I was using Olight 3400mAH 18650s and didn't get more than 1.5 hours out of them.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I was using Olight 3400mAH 18650s and didn't get more than 1.5 hours out of them.
Were you running on Hi? My tested runtimes on 3100mAh were ~3:45 on Hi (and another ~30mins on Med after step-down). And that is what I would expect for that output level. Did you check the battery voltage before loading them up? Something is not right.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
Were you running on Hi? My tested runtimes on 3100mAh were ~3:45 on Hi (and another ~30mins on Med after step-down). And that is what I would expect for that output level. Did you check the battery voltage before loading them up? Something is not right.

No I did not check the voltage. I was camping. I just need the stupid thing to do what it says it will do, whether it's a battery problem or one with the light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No I did not check the voltage. I was camping. I just need the stupid thing to do what it says it will do, whether it's a battery problem or one with the light.
Well, you presumably charged the batteries before going camping, which is why I asked in order to help you troubleshoot. And there is a battery charge readout feature right on the light, which can be used in the field.

I can understand your frustration of it not matching your expectations, but in this case it is most likely that the batteries were not fully charged before you went to use the light.

sdmf74

Newly Enlightened
I know this was over a year and a half ago but responding to Ricky's post #21 about the fenix headlamp only working on lower modes after a fresh battery change, my HL15 does the same thing. I noticed a quick disconnect & reconnect of the cable that connects to the battery compartment resets it every time, I wonder if he tried this.
Maybe it can help someone else having the same issue. I never tried holding power for 5 seconds though.

Im not sure about the voltages of the 2 headlamps and this may be a rookie question but I wonder if I obtained a Fenix dual 18650 battery compartment for my HL15 (uses 4 AA's) could I extend the runtime of my HL15 headlamp?
I have an extension cable that permits me to transfer my 4x AA battery compartment from headband to waist and the connections are all identical,anyone tried this?