Fenix L1P Clone Clone

Walt175

Enlightened
greenLED said:
:popcorn: I wonder if the heatsinks on those 1xAA are Fenix-compatible...

Nope. I have both, and swapping parts was one of the first tings I tried. They have different threads and are not compatable.

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened
Could somebody please post a beamshot comparison of the 1W MX power light with maybe a 602A1 or a L1P.

Cheers
Bopanna

KnOeFz

Enlightened
I received my order of 2 pieces MX power flashlights from Dae.
It's an ok looking light and I kind of expected it to be like the Ultrafire WF-602A when I ordered it. Unfortunately it's much less quality and performance (but also cheaper).

At first after putting an alkaline in one of them wouldn't switch off. A blob of solder on top of the clicky shorted it agains the body. Luckily that was easily solved with my soldering iron.

Good thing for those of you who like o mod the light: no locktite anywhere! Still so far I only managed to unscrew the head of only one of these lights, the other one's still stuck.

Other things I noticed:
The anodizing is a bit shiny where the UF is mate.
It won't tailstand because the rubber on the clicky is rounded.
The reverse clicky does have a nice tight feel.
The lanyard is so short I can only fit 3 fingers in there.
The reflector is made from plastic.
The window is made of glass.
There's 2 o-rings, one between tailcap and body, one between head and body. No O-ring behind the window. But when screwing the head and tail on the body it doesn't feel like the o-ring is pressed tight against anything. My guess is that it won't be watertight.
The led tint is blueish (I did expect that from Nichia), it's a very smal led though. Hadn't seen one like this before.

Now pics say more then a 1000 words... so enjoy:

all parts seperated except the orings on the body:
MX68k.jpg

MX Power (2 lights on top) compared with the Ultrafire WF-602A:
MX62k.jpg

Looking in the head:
MX58k.jpg

Inside the head; pull out the converterboard with a thin knife blade and some tapping:
MX59k.jpg

MX60k.jpg

Next you can unscrew the heatsink with the led. Notice how thin the led is? I hope when I glue a Luxeon straight to the threaded aluminium part with some thermal paste it'll fit without cutting up the reflector.
MX63k.jpg

Poor pic of the led, yellow dye is showing in real life:
MX65k.jpg

Beamshot:
MX74k.jpg

Hope you guys find this info usefull somehow.
:candle:

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
very well done sir. It appears to be worth the money if you are willing to spend time fixing the problems and adding a front o-ring for water resistance.

I'd love to see the runtimes to be sure though.

Excellent review of this light.:goodjob:

KnOeFz

Enlightened
Had a some time tonight to try out the mod I had planned when buying this light... installing a red Luxeon (bin unknown, bought it cheap for €1,-). I was afraid it would be too big to fit when I saw the Nichia used origally but the red batwing I had fits nice. It's not super bright but I'm pleased with it.

Because a picture says more than a 1000 words...

original Nichia and Luxeon replacement in front of it:
MX76k.jpg

luxeon soldered and glued straight to heatsink with silicon thermal paste:
MX77k.jpg

the reflector seems made for the luxeon size:
MX79k.jpg

beamshot:
MX80k.jpg

compared to the UltraFire WF-602A with it's original led:
MX87k.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed this and that it inspires you guys to do some experiments :grin2:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod! The batwing reds are some of the lowest lumen producing luxeons of the red/amber family. A red HD or red-orange HD (60lumens) would really be a big difference. Or go for the luxIII varient, 4x the die size so larger beam and more lumens. I doubt it'd be driven at spec, but still put out the light though!!! I'm thinking of doing a LuxIII Amber mod sometime to one of these 1AA lights (which brand who knows).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY GOOD beam from a Nichia Rigel LED!!!
The Fenix E1 is very ringy.
Terralux TLE-10/20 has an awful yellow corona around the hotspot.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just to confirm, these lights (3W F&L J1, MX Power) are a good candidate for modding or is it a bit of a pain.

This coming from a first time modder with some technical experience?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive decided to lay off of every single 1 AA luxeon light that resembles the Fenix in the slightest little bit. These lazy bastids who cant make up their own designs can go to hell. I have to admit though, its fun to see how many clones they can make clones of clones of clones...

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Mags said:
Ive decided to lay off of every single 1 AA luxeon light that resembles the Fenix in the slightest little bit. These lazy bastids who cant make up their own designs can go to hell. I have to admit though, its fun to see how many clones they can make clones of clones of clones...

good thing this one isn't a luxeon then... so when are you going to order yours?? :laughing:

sorry, couldn't resist... :ohgeez: