Fenix L2S/L1T Combo Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Fenix L2S to play with - courtesy of the kindness of 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com)......
and since I have a Fenix L1T - I thought I'd do a sort of Fenix combos -
Fenix L2S with extra L1S body
and
Fenix L2T with extra L1T body
type review (see the links for details) -
these Combo deals are great value in effect one is getting two flashlights for the price of just over one......

don't know what the L I'm talkin' 'bout? - just wait*......

Size -
L2Ssz.jpg

Heads -
L2Shds.jpg

vs. Fenix L1T both on High
L2S_L1THi.jpg
L2S_L1THi2U.jpg

The L2S on high seems marginally brighter than the L1T on high

vs. Fenix L1T both on low
L2S_L1TLo.jpg
L2S_L1TLo2U.jpg

Opposite seem to be the case here - the L2S is not as bright as the L1T when they are both on Low - this could well be the case since a T-bin LuxIII should be more efficient than a R-bin LuxI - therefore brighter and on low they should be on the same constant current (fully regulated)

L2S High vs. the now classic Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium)
L2SHi_L1.jpg
L2SHi_L1U2.jpg

The L2S is quite a bit brighter in comparison - that's the advantage of using 2AA batteries there's power in reserve.

L2S on Low vs. Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium)
L2SLo_L1.jpg
L2SLo_L1U2.jpg

Not surprisingly the L2S on low is not as bright as the L1 v2.5 -
but note the tint of the L2S even when underdriven on low is still pretty neutral.
My L1 v2.5 definitiely has a blue-green tint when compared to more "premium" tints.

OK now on to the Combo* part - simply swapping over the bodies (or heads
biggrin.gif
) one get basically a L1S and L2T performance.

(Very IMPORTANT note: the Fenix L1S head is NOT compatible with a 2AA body as it is only rated to 1.7V - so do not get a L1S and a spare L2(S/T) body - do it the other way round get the L2S and a spare L1(S/T) body.
Whereas the L1T/L2T heads are the same/interchangeable).

"Silly" body Change photo -
L2S_L1Tswap.jpg

showing the L2S head on the 1AA (L1T) body and the L1T head on the 2AA (L2S) body........
.....confused yet?
biggrin.gif
pay attention now
smile.gif

L2S on 1AA vs. Fenix L1T on 2AA both on High -
L2S1AA_L1T2AAHi.jpg
L2S1AA_L1T2AAHi2U.jpg

The L1T on 2AA seems significantly brighter than the L2S on 1AA - more than the difference between the L2s (on 2AA) and the Fenix L1T (on 1AA)

L2S on 1AA vs. Fenix L1T on 2AA both on Low
L2S1AA_L1T2AALo.jpg
L2S1AA_L1T2AALo2U.jpg

again the L1T head is showing brighter - because of the same efficiency reasons (T- vs. R- bins) - when the L2S and L1T were compared on low.

So there you go two separate lights ending up in 4 different lights or combinations, and think of it, at two brightness levels each - that's also 8 different levels -
that's a lot of combinations -
confusing? -
well, you can't get much more easily confused than me
confused.gif
and I managed to hold it together for this review ...
just
tongue.gif

these Combo deals at the http://Fenix-Store.com -
Fenix L2S with extra L1S body
and
Fenix L2T with extra L1T body
are great value, in effect one is getting two flashlights for the price of just over one......

Or, do what I did get a L1T and L2S and end up with 4 different flashlight combinations......

Comparison review that may be of interest/relevant -

Fenix L2T

Last edited:

CoolLEDs

Newly Enlightened
UnknownVT,
Thanks for the review. I was a bit surprised that the L2S was only marginally brighter than the L1T (both on high).

How is the finish on the L2S body tube? Does it make a good match with the L1T/L2T head? (i.e. does the color and finish match pretty well even though the L2S body is only HA II?)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
CoolLEDs wrote: "How is the finish on the L2S body tube? Does it make a good match with the L1T/L2T head? (i.e. does the color and finish match pretty well even though the L2S body is only HA II?)"

They match reasonably well so that any casual examination would say they were the "same".

The photos above are pretty representative, in the first size (side-by-side) photo -
then the most relevant - the photo where the bodies were swapped around -
if one examines them very carefully one can just discern a slight difference -
I guess once pointed out the difference tend to be seen......
can't see it yet? .. then mostly one probably won't see it in real life either.

Difference - the L2S seems to be a deeper black slightly more gloss/shiney -
the L1T seems a bit more matte and there is a gray'ish look to it.

Now can you see it?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
CoolLEDs wrote: "How is the finish on the L2S body tube? Does it make a good match with the L1T/L2T head? (i.e. does the color and finish match pretty well even though the L2S body is only HA II?)"

UnknownVT wrote: "Difference - the L2S seems to be a deeper black slightly more gloss/shiney -
the L1T seems a bit more matte and there is a gray'ish look to it."

Here's an additional bit of a wrinkle -
I have both a Fenix E1 and L0P-SE at hand, and both are black and hard anodized - they look the same as the L2S with the type 2 andoziation -
at least they look closer to the L2S than my sample of one L1T. Examination under room lighting and daylight.

Having said that, if one was really "retentive" there are minor differences, that it could be said that all 4 are "different" - but to all intents and purposes they are the "same" - the one that was most "different" was the L1T in this case.

I think these could easily be attributed to slight manufacturing differences -
so, for me, in this particular case, I could not tell which was hard anodized or type 2 - visually.

CoolLEDs

Newly Enlightened
Vincent,
Thanks for the feedback. From looking at the pictures, I can just barely see that the L2S is slightly more shiney than the L1T. I doubt any difference would bother me. I am thinking of possibly getting an L2S for use with my L1T. I thought I would try to save a few dollars since the L2S bodies are slightly cheaper at fenix-store than the L2T bodies.

Again, thanks for the information and your review. I always like the beamshots you include.

UnknownVT said:

UnknownVT wrote: "Difference - the L2S seems to be a deeper black slightly more gloss/shiney -
the L1T seems a bit more matte and there is a gray'ish look to it."

Here's an additional bit of a wrinkle -
I have both a Fenix E1 and L0P-SE at hand, and both are black and hard anodized - they look the same as the L2S with the type 2 andoziation -
at least they look closer to the L2S than my sample of one L1T. Examination under room lighting and daylight.

Having said that, if one was really "retentive" there are minor differences, that it could be said that all 4 are "different" - but to all intents and purposes they are the "same" - the one that was most "different" was the L1T in this case.

I think these could easily be attributed to slight manufacturing differences -
so, for me, in this particular case, I could not tell which was hard anodized or type 2 - visually.