Fenix L1T (vs. L1 v2.5, L2T, Civictor, P1)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens (http://fenix-store.com/) very kindly sent me a bunch of Fenix flashlights on loan for review - these included L1T, L2T, P1 and the Civictor V1. He also very generously put Lithium batteries in all of them.

This review concentrates on the L1T - a single AA 3watt light in the same form factor as the very popular Fenix L1P.

The main differences are the 3watt emitter over the 1watt and the new L1T has a two stage for a longer running lower level output.

Size comparison
FenixSz.jpg

The heads -
FenixHds.jpg

Supplied holster, compared to the older style that came with the early L1P -
FenixL1Tholster.jpg

Some earlier questions were whether the the body tubes of the L1P/L2P would fit the L1T/L2T. The answer is yes, physically - BUT they do not work fully - losing the low level of the two stage.

Comparison of L1T and L1 body tubes (also showing the insides of the tailcap and head) -
FenixL1Tdisa.jpg

The most obvious difference is the bare aluminum threads of the L1T tube at the head - which makes electrical contact for the low stage. When the head is screwed on tightly the tube end makes contact with the circuit board to make the High stage.

If one compares the tube lengths carefully - one can just make out the L1T tube is just a shade longer than that of the L1 - this confirms some reports I've read where the L1(P) body tube may not work with the L1T head at all - depending on the battery length the slightly shorter body may prevent the tube end from making good contact with the L1T circuit board........

OK, so how well does the L1T perform - how bright is it?

Note: I conducted all the comparison beamshots with Alkaline batteries - since these are what the majority would likely use. But as a sanity check I did do one set of beamshots with the supplied Energizer Lithium AA.

L1T on High vs. Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium)
FenixL1TL1Hi.jpg
FenixL1TL1Hi2U.jpg

Now here's a surprise -
according to Fenix specs, and the early reports I read about the L1T - I expected the L1T to be less bright (or equal to) my L1 v2.5.
It wasn't - the L1T was just perceptibly brighter - as shown in the comparison beamshots.
I checked the current draw with the tailcap removed and got these readings -

........... Fenix L1T
........... Hi ..... Lo .. Fenix L1 v2.5
Alkaline 0.78A 0.24A 0.49A
Lithium 0.78A 0.24A 0.63A

The L1T on High is drawing substantially more current at 0.78A (for both Alkaline and Lithium AA) over the L1 v2.5 at 0.49A (on alkaline). So unless the L1T(L2T) circuitry and emitter are very INefficient - it's not surprising that the L1T is brighter than my L1 v2.5.

How dim is the Low setting?

Fenix L1T on Low vs. Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium)
FenixL1TL1Lo.jpg
FenixL1TL1Lo2U.jpg

It is just noticably dimmer - but not really that dim - the claimed 10 lumens is probably in the right ballpark - as it seems about the same level as an average 1/2watt - as shown here -

Fenix L1T on Low vs. 0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S
FenixL1TAdvMLo.jpg
FenixL1TAdvMLo2U.jpg

L1T on Hi vs. Civictor V1 1watt 1AA twisty
FenixL1TCivHi.jpg
FenixL1TCivHi2U.jpg

very comparable, with the L1T on Hi maybe just a shade brighter than the 1watt Civictor V1.

L1T on Low vs. Civictor V1
FenixL1TCivLo.jpg
FenixL1TCivLo2U.jpg

L1T vs. L2T (3watt 2AA) both on Hi -
FenixL1TL2THi.jpg
FenixL1TL2THi2U.jpg

L2T seems brighter - but not by much - and probably not much difference in use (for me)

L1T vs. L2T(3watt 2AA) both on Low -
FenixL1TL2TLo.jpg
FenixL1TL2TLo2U.jpg

about the same relative brightness as in the High comparison.

L1T on Hi vs. Fenix P1 (3watt 1x CR123)
FenixL1TP1Hi.jpg
FenixL1TP1Hi2U.jpg

FenixL1TP1HiLi2U.jpg

Sanity check - L1T on Hi with Lithium AA vs. Fenix P1 - only the -2 Stops Underexposed shot shown to compare relative brightness levels -

This shows there is very little if any difference in brightness of the L1T on High using Lithium AA over alkalineAA when they are fresh, and this is confirmed by the current draw readings. Of course, Lithium batteries should last longer and maintain the brightness levels longer.

Note: I do not have any Li-Ion 14500 rechargeable batteries to do a test of the brightness level using 3.7V Li-Ion.

L1T on Low vs. Fenix P1
FenixL1TP1Lo2U.jpg

Overall I like this L1T a lot - the low setting might not be as low as some might want - no, it's not a dim "stealth" mode - but for me it's about the right level for most general practical usage (in the ballpark of a typical 1/2watt my at home EDC).

So for me it's a definite improvement over the very popular L1P - so it's not much brighter - but more useful.

I'd use the L1T most of the time on the Low setting and twisting it to High only when needed - showing once again - for me - brighter does not necessarily always = better.

Last edited:

nightrider

Enlightened
Yes, thanks a lot! Good info, especially since I have an L1P v2.5, a P1... and I have another P1 (good Father's Day gift) and L1T (for me) on order. These are all great little lights for the money. I also find that the lower light level is often more practical for typical use, and then it's nice to have a higher level when needed. If the P1 had a low level it would be very awesome at its price (I know: FireFly-III blah blah blah... $130...blah, blah, blah, get on the waiting list...:)).

cacer

Newly Enlightened
good work.:goodjob:

but i got a little question:

correct me if i am wrong, but the L1 is listed with 38 and the L1P with 46 Lumens.
i think most users compare the L1T to the L1P .

i own a L1t a L2T and sold a L1P some days ago.
the heads of the T´s are different in color , so the whiter one seems to be brighter and the yellow one less bright.
when i compared the T´s with the P i thought the yellow T is less bright as the L1P and the white on is brighter , but the L1P seemed to be the whitest and not the brightest but i am not really shure.
long speak... -> could u compare a L1P next to a L1T ? :naughty:

cacer

onthebeam

Enlightened
Great review, thanks!

In my experience, my L1T and L1P had virtually the identical tint, quite white with just a slight shift to green, as has been common with many L1Ps. And the brightness was nearly identical, too, with perhaps a very slight edge going to the L1T. The two-stage and long runtime at about 9 hours with NiMh AA battery makes it indeed a useful light.

Wish list for the L1T:

A less bright second stage, athough I have gotten to like the current version a great deal.

A place for a tritium vial.

Compatibility with third party (Nekomane/4sevens) CR2 or CR123 body tubes.

Simple Man

Newly Enlightened
Good review, lots of info.

I like my L1T, it will not replace a truck headlight or burn paper, but it is bright enough but not too bright for EDC tasks, good size and excellent battery life also. As far as I can tell it is white/pure enough for me, but that's comparing it to a Photon II and an Inova X1, which pretty much make things "smurfy" blue.

Last edited:

dtsoll

Enlightened
Great review, thank you. These are great lights for the price. I just got a P1 and even without being two stages, I think they are a steal. Doug:)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, I am Fenix fan, those 1LT shots help. thats one of the few Fenixs I dont own. really impressed with the low cost Civictor! it appears to be almost as bright as the 1LT!

My P1 on a protected RCR represents the culmination of a long, expensive search for the ultimate keychain pocket rocket!!!

I now wonder how it stacks up against a RAW Ns ond that CR Ion I see at 4sevens fenix store?!?

Last edited:

tsl

Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
4sevens (http://fenix-store.com/) very kindly sent me a bunch of Fenix flashlights on loan for review - these included L1T, L2T, P1 and the Civictor V1. He also very generously put Lithium batteries in all of them.

I just want to double check that the Fenix lights don't come packaged with batteries. Is that right?

Also, are you able to switch the output levels while holding the flashlight without using two hands?

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
tsl said:
I just want to double check that the Fenix lights don't come packaged with batteries. Is that right?

Also, are you able to switch the output levels while holding the flashlight without using two hands?

Unless there is a special, the Fenix lights from the Fenix Store do not come with batteries. If you are in China, the come with batteries from the factory. I hope that helps.

tsl

Enlightened
tsl said:

Thanks ... first question answered! Can anyone with the L1T or L2T or both share your experience/comments on the second question?

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Great Review UnknownVT !!! :goodjob:

This along with Chevrofreak's runtime review is
outstanding info on these lights!

Question for Moderator Dude or Dudette
Could this be moved to the review section?

I spent 5 minutes searching in the review section,
bad mouthing the search function the whole time.
Just about to post a complaint and then ran
across it in the led section.

Thank you
Toons :)

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsl wrote: "Also, are you able to switch the output levels while holding the flashlight without using two hands?"

The samples of L1T and L2T both can be turned/switched quite easily one-handed.

Although I would say that turning from high to low should be "intrinstically" easier.
Going from low to high, one has to ensure that the head is screwed firmly to be sure of good contact - but this is not really a problem.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm looking forward to Fenix's first 5W light. Imagine a regulated 5W light that runs off of 3000Ah NiMh rechargeables with a 2.5+hr runtime on high and a dim mode. :D

Fenix L2T5 anyone? :D

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro wrote: "I'm looking forward to Fenix's first 5W light. Imagine a regulated 5W light that runs off of 3000Ah NiMh rechargeables with a 2.5+hr runtime on high and a dim mode. :D"

I'm with you on the sentiment -
However at 5watts the single AA battery needs to be driving out about 3.33Amps for a 1.5V alkaline, or nearly 4.2Amps(!) on a typical 1.2V NiMH -
so I think that might just be a little over-ambitious......

Perhaps there'll be more efficient LEDs that give the equivalent brightness levels with lower power draw......

Form my previous current draw reading the 3watt Lux in the L1T is probably UNDER-driven even on High - on my sample -

Alkaline @ 1.473V (open-circuit) - 0.78A = 1.14watts
Lithium @1.605V o-c - 0.78A = 1.25watts

So these are all total power draws without accounting for the losses in the step-up regulator circuit.