Fenix LR50R ~$250 - worth it? (SOLVED)

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Please give this a read:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Please give this a read:
I did read that, that was part of my reason for asking.
"Sofirn previously supplied button top 21700 cells with the Q8 Plus. It would be nice if they revert back to providing button top cells. At least one Redditor has complained about the included flat top 21700 cells making poor contact (i.e. two of the three cells might not charge)."

It was also on Reddit I read and saw images of Q8+ owners with the button-tops, and others commenting they got flat-tops that they had issues with.

I assumed by now you had an Q8+ and could confirm personally (I think we all know how unreliable Reddit can be).

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I don't have a Q8+, I have the original Q8 (2017) with the wide positive contact ring on the driver identical to the current offering with the Q8+ in the pictures in the review. I have run nothing but flat top cells through it without a hitch for 7 years, never had a cell imbalance issue.

The problem with button tops is the vast majority of lights perform best with unprotected cells which are almost always flat top only. Some battery suppliers will add a button top for you for a tiny surcharge or you could just add a round blob of solder to the center of the terminal yourself. But most readily available button top cells have an added length protection circuit which is more hindrance than help since it's only necessary with series battery applications (cell end to end) not parallel like the Q8+. The protection circuit adds unnecessary length and can cause fitment/damage issues. Unprotected button tops are rather like hens teeth, usually only Samsung and Vapcell offer ordinary production unprotected button tops.

You shouldn't be forced to pay anything more than $15/cell no matter what. Have you looked at cells on www.sportlampa.com? Also NKON which I think is Netherlands based?

Main thing is you have flat top Sofirn brand 21700 cells en route in your lights. I think it's reasonable to assume they would never ship in that configuration knowing there was even a chance of improper cell contact.

I can't speak for Reddit but maybe they were using off brand cells of improper length or worn in (indented) flat top terminals.

I can say for certain that the industry standard is to utilize unprotected flat top cells for 21700 to maximize cross-platform compatibility.

The exception is the premium quality Acebeam model line, that have based every single model to fit the exact same proprietary (really LONG) protected button top with onboard USB charging 5000mAh 20A 21700 cell. I despise on board cell charging, only use an external slot (XTAR VC4+) charger. Many Acebeam models will accommodate a 4-5 mm shorter unprotected flat top cell but have less than perfect contact.

If you order an E75 It will have that exact cell.

For everything else the flat top Sofirns will be ideal.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I personally prefer button-top cells with a protection circuit for that extra, well, protection. Since many manufacturers don't say whether their models have an integrated protection, I want at least my batteries to have it. And some of my Fenix 18650 lights are too long to work with a flat-top.

Most of my lights are single-cell and single emitter, and are also not powerful they need the extra Amps an unprotected cell can deliver.
I am aware button-tops can be damaged / indented in lights that are not made for protected cells (been there, done that...more than once).

Very much agreed on the distaste for batteries with built-in USB-charging. In my mind, that's basically driving current into a live hand grenade made by the lowest bidder. If the light got a removable battery at all, I ALWAYS use an external charger. I use a Fenix ARE-C2 as my main charger (takes 21700 flat-tops), but am still waiting for the Nitecore UMS4 to arrive (I hope it takes longer 21700 protected / button-top cells).

As for the Q8+ (and the other Sofirns), I will wait until they arrive (already received shipping notification), try them with the included cells first, and then buy additional cells after that, if I see the need.

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Say, how is the build- and overall quality of Sofirn lights compared to Emisar?
This will be my first experience with either brand.

I don't plan on dropping (like, physically) anything, but I have read the Emisars aren't as water resistant as their rating suggests, and the failure chance if dropped is firmly in the "don't ever do it"-range. Not very comforting considering the price, especially when compared to Sofirn.

I got curious, because I just noticed on the receipts that the four Sofirn lights with batteries, on sale and with coupon code, cost almost exactly the same ($0.29 difference) as the two Emisar lights, also on sale but without batteries.
I suspect there is a premium on the Emisars due to the customization options and the "bling factor" of them, with RGB auxiliary lights.

Emisar:
Noctigon K9.3
Green body + Amber switch LED
E21A, 3500K + Osram W1 Green
$94.48

DT8K
Cyan body + Red switch LED
E21A, 4500K
Added magnet in tailcap
$79.51

173.99 USD total

Sofirn:
1x Q8+ 5000K with batteries (with coupon code)
2x Q8+ diffusers
1x SF15
1x IF22A with battery
1x IF23 with battery

174.28 USD total