Mag 6D LED vs Mag 4D LED 1K lumens vs Mag 4D 2x18650 with Malkoff

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite 6D despite lower specs on paper is brighter than both. Mag 4D LED outperforms the Malkoff set up but isn't nearly as bright as the 6D. I wonder if it is the same LED and it just performs more when more cells are added. Anyone know? 6D was bought last year and the 4D recently.

It says something when the stock Mag is pretty powerful and less cost than a drop in mod. Now if they could make a X21 level light......

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite light out of all of mine is actually a blue 4 D cell Magz. It has anti glare coated optical quality lens but just usually cleans up artifacts. It has the Malkoff "3-4 D cell" drop in. I am not SURE but I think the drop in has an XP-G or XPG2 emitter. The COLOR of the beam out of this is bright and beautiful where you want it to be. It is so clean. It ALSO has a tricked out low resistance switch I installed into it. It has had the SAME 4 D cells in it for the past year and a half. They just keep working. A 6 D cell Magz would potentially run for a month and a half under daily use.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite mag as of late, is a 2C with 3500lm dropin from lumencraft, that runs on 2x 18650. I have about 2 dosen of mags, I like them all, (if i do not i mod them till i do) but this one I moded recently, it is one of few brightest mags I have while being one of smallest mags I have.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite the opposite, older mags can be moded into anythign you want. in 20 years of flashlight hobby I saw literally anything done to mags, from 25000lm hotwires to 1D hid, and anything in between. The only limit is your imagination. Some even turned maglites into 410ga shotguns, and silencers. i don't think you can find anything in the world that you can mod into more things, lights or not, than a classic maglite

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using off the shelf mods I have issues with older ones as described in another thread. That is a shame because the older models are typically better fit and finish.