Mini-Mag AA - replace the head module?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
This thing stopped working right, the switch I guess, it flickered on & off, needed banging on the table, etc. I managed to bust the LED so I punched out the whole module.

Are there any 3rd party modules that will drop into the tube?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can replace the LED module. e.g.

But I guess it depends where you are and what you want to spend.

I upgraded an earlier LED Mini Mag with this for a big improvement in performance.

And was half the cost of a new LED Mini Mag, but we tend to get ripped off in the UK on new Maglite prices.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Yes you can replace the LED module. e.g.

EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I've punched out the factory module... it even has a low mode like the ProPlus. This just drops in? The factory module has a plastic retaining ring that breaks when you punch it out.

The plain LED is about a quarter inch shorter than the ProPlus. I presume this is designed to fit the plain LED ?

Searching for a module always get spammed by drop-ins for the incans.

American source:

$25 plus $8.5 postage. So cheaper than a new 351 lumen ProPlus for $40.

The British price is not calculable, their drop down for what US state I am in only has 9 states, in a random order. They need to fix their site.

I

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Stuff the module back into the light and send it to Mag. They'll fix it.

I should, actually I probably have several. What about stuff with leaked batteries frozen in them? OTOH upgrading it to a brighter module for less than the cost of a ProPLUS is appealing

Oh, the right way to remove a module is to push it out down the tube, so you need a small diameter plastic tube or drill out the center of a dowel rod, to protect the LED when you push. THEN there will be a black plastic retaining collet that can fall out the top - this centers the module, when you re-install it from the BOTTOM using the batteries to push it up.

cherokeephil

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info

lumen aeternum

on removing the module

I have a AAA mini mag lite, with exactly the same habit of of flicking to Off then back to norm again. Tea cure I found is to close the barrel, and repeat to open. slightly annoying, but it appears to be back to norm for now

Last edited:

cherokeephil

Newly Enlightened
This thing stopped working right, the switch I guess, it flickered on & off, needed banging on the table, etc. I managed to bust the LED so I punched out the whole module.

Are there any 3rd party modules that will drop into the tube?
occasionally have same snag on the AAA mini mag