Help with Cree led

maico58

Newly Enlightened
I want to replace the led and driver in this old maglite. I'm not sure what to buy and would like to get recommendations. I appreciate any help, tia
I'm using 2 26650 68000mAh batteries
IMG_8261.jpeg
IMG_8259.jpeg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like xml 1st gen on 12 or 14mm mcpcb. the driver should be 2.8-3A, that is the max current the led can take.
you could try sst40 or xhp50.2 either will give you more light. if you want narrower beam you can use xpl, or xhp35, as well as Samsung led, but they will need a different board. Driver will depend on what led you use.
However in your case, you are limited on boards, and how you can mount them, you can't use screws, no room on that board, nor anything is pressing it against the aluminum piece, so you only can use thermal adhesive, it generally has higher thermal resistance than paste, so you do not want to drive leds too hard.

maico58

Newly Enlightened
looks like xml 1st gen on 12 or 14mm mcpcb. the driver should be 2.8-3A, that is the max current the led can take.
you could try sst40 or xhp50.2 either will give you more light. if you want narrower beam you can use xpl, or xhp35, as well as Samsung led, but they will need a different board. Driver will depend on what led you use.
However in your case, you are limited on boards, and how you can mount them, you can't use screws, no room on that board, nor anything is pressing it against the aluminum piece, so you only can use thermal adhesive, it generally has higher thermal resistance than paste, so you do not want to drive leds too hard.

IMG_8265.jpeg

Thanks for the reply, Jrob built this flashlight years ago and included a voltage monitor in the build. The drive board is toast and needs to be replaced. I like the thought of a narrower and brighter beam. The heat sink has an 18 mm recess behind the led which is on a 5.5 mm cylinder with the led thermal cemented to it. Is there a driver which would work with my led and an xph35?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your led is 3v, and 3A max, xhp35 is 12v 1A max, Yet since it is new, more efficient led it makes 2x of lumens with smaller point source. For your current led, and 2x li ion cells 8.4v, you need a buck driver, for xhp35 you'll need a boost driver. to work with both leds it has to be boost-buck, and 17mm in diameter, so it fits in the heatsink the way old one did. I'm not aware of such driver, but just cuz i'm not aware does not mean there are no such thing in existence, maybe someone else knows and can point you to one.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the thought of a narrower and brighter beam. The heat sink has an 18 mm recess behind the led which is on a 5.5 mm cylinder with the led thermal cemented to it. Is there a driver which would work with my led and an xph35?
Just get a 3v SFT40 LED

MtnElectronics has a single mode buck driver.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks kerneldrop the recommendation is appreciated. I've never built an led flashlight, I bought this one a long time ago.

What's the complete flashlight look like? Do you have modes now or is it one output?
If this light is special to you then send it to me...i'll put in a new driver and a SFT40 in it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take this offer, sft40 will give you hell of a more light, a little narrower beam too, not as tight as xhp35 or Samsung, but you wont be disappointed for sure.
However what I would do, is to replace reflector you are using, (i assume it is from an incandescent model) with a deeper reflector that was installed on 1st gen led maglites, it will give you even better beam, they are available for 12 bucks at z battery.com

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can put in any LED.
I don't know of a 2S 12v driver for the XHP35...I can ask Mtnelectronics if he can make one.

XPP and W2.2 may be good options...they'll give throw and spill.

I've got tons of 3v choices. I have some crazy output round LEDs. or excellent HCRI LEDS that are more pleasing to the eye.
I've never played with the XHP35 because 12v really limits the boards and drivers.
I don't have the expertise to modify the components...so i stick with boards, drivers and LEDs with the same voltage requirements.
I've seen people grind out the middle of a 6V board to where they can use a 3volt LED on a 6V driver and board.

maico58

Newly Enlightened
I can put in any LED.
I don't know of a 2S 12v driver for the XHP35...I can ask Mtnelectronics if he can make one.

XPP and W2.2 may be good options...they'll give throw and spill.

I've got tons of 3v choices. I have some crazy output round LEDs. or excellent HCRI LEDS that are more pleasing to the eye.
I've never played with the XHP35 because 12v really limits the boards and drivers.
I don't have the expertise to modify the components...so i stick with boards, drivers and LEDs with the same voltage requirements.
I've seen people grind out the middle of a 6V board to where they can use a 3volt LED on a 6V driver and board.

What's the complete flashlight look like? Do you have modes now or is it one output?
If this light is special to you then send it to me...i'll put in a new driver and a SFT40 in it.
Thanks for the offer the flashlight is kinda special to me. It's my first awsome flashlight.
It was built by Jrob a long time ago, it has a led indicator on the voltage regulator/ monitor which is switchable, I think but I forgot how to do it! Let me know what you think about it I'd like to have it serviceable.
Tia

Attachments

• IMG_8271.jpeg
    IMG_8271.jpeg
    676.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8270.jpeg
    IMG_8270.jpeg
    737.2 KB · Views: 62