Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Pick up a PD30

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Wait and hope for a 2 lumen PD30

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use primaries in it, but they seem to last a very long time. I'm not sure the PD30 can handle RCR's? Maybe the LifePO4. Surefire has some listed on their site, maybe those would work.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this thread when I was trying to decide which light to get and of course I went for the PD31 as I wanted a 18650, even thought getting the PD30 after the PD31 and PD32 had been released would be foolish.
Then one night I saw a PD30 on sale, starting staring at pictures late at night and bit the bullet for that too telling myself it would be a good back-up light.

I have to say after a month I've come to really appreciate the PD30. I think its main advantage is its compact size which: it's slightly taller than a single AA flashlight but offers the lumens and the runtimes of 2xCR123. Its size is a good trade-off for the fact that it can't run 18650 or protected 17670. I also find that the 10-lumen low can also be very handy around the house at night rather than the 2-lumen low of the PD31 -- which is maybe better suited for middle-of-the-night tasks.
I thought I had bought something outdated and ended up hoping Fenix will keep producing and upgrading the same model.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the one I have. I don't remember for sure but if I think when I put both lights against 2 inches or 5 centimeters from the wall the PD31 has a couple of barely visible rings. Further than that they both have the very clean beams.
From the posts I've read it seems the first PD31 batch(es) had a ringy beam but subsequent batches didn't.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
No probs! : ) I'm pretty picky about ringy beams and I have to say my PD31 has one of the cleanest beams out of my SMO reflector flashlights.

If you are planning to buy a PD31, you should be safe at this stage: I wanted to be sure not to get a ringy one when I bought mine so I read all threads on the PD31 on this forum and more. All posts I read from people who had bought a PD31 in the second half of 2011 said they didn't have the notorious "saturn" ring. You'd have to have some bad luck and find a reseller who has one in stock from early batches - it could happen but is unlikely: from what I read the PD31 at some point was pretty much out of stock everywhere.

Latest posts