fenix self defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a fenix tk11 for self defence as i live out in the country and was wondering how good it would be should i ever need it for stunning someone. Ive heard stories on the internet about how great shurefires are but nothing about fenix. Does anyone have any experience or opinions. Its just so i know if anyone threatens me in the dark whether to pull out the light or run.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you blast them in the face you better have a bullet following it soon after. You may stun someone for a bit, but if they want to get you the TK11 won't stop them.

LowTEC

Enlightened
IMHO, you might have a better chance to stun the guy by throwing your TK11 at him with all your might. :naughty:

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
u mean that starwars isn't real:mecry: next u'll be telling me that santa does't exist either if he isn't real then whre did my fenix l2d come from?!!!

shomie911

Enlightened
No, what we're saying is that flashlights in general are very ineffective for self defense.

Unless your light is packing 5000+ lumens, I doubt it will affect anyone who wants to do you bodily harm. And even if it is 5000+ lumens, it's only going to buy you a few seconds, enought to get a CCW out, but that's pretty much it.

Don't get a false sense of security because you're carrying a "tactical" flashlight.

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so use the good words.... :)

yes, a great and powerfull flashlight can "disorientate" a bad guy just one seconde and give you more chance to use your gun first....
But don't belive it 'll be helpfull for a hand to hand fight.... :poof:

(sorry for my bad english....)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless shot out of a shotgun, I wouldn't count on a Fenix light to do much of anything for you for self defense, and this applies not only to Fenix lights, but any other small light that is not attached to a gun. Besides a gun mounted light the only other lights I'd count on for self defense would be a 4+ D cell Maglite or a Tigerlight with OC spray.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole "stunning" thing is more marketing than fact.

Pull the light, then run - especially at night, you can seriously screw up someone's night vision for a few seconds, possibly enough time for you to get a head start but even then, that's more luck than dependable application.

-Trevor

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
Its just i saw all these stories on the surefire website that claim to be true about burgelers and thugs being temporarily blinded by surefires so that they can taken out and was wondering if this could be true.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Its just i saw all these stories on the surefire website that claim to be true about burgelers and thugs being temporarily blinded by surefires so that they can taken out and was wondering if this could be true.

It can be, but you have to follow through on the "taken out" part.

Illum

Flashaholic
the only situation where you can perform the "stun and evade" action is if your dressed in all black and in a part of town or setting where there is NO light pollution in which you can kill the would-be attackers vision long enough for you to run or hide without being caught. A full moon night wouldn't work, the human eyes are quite extraordinary in terms of readjusting in a short period of time and is particularly strong in distinguishing figures in shadows based on differing light intensities:eek:.

if your going to stand your ground, your gonna need more than a flashlight, and crenelated bezel lights are no more as effective as a taser, where you must be within arm reach of the opponent...a distance within reach for the attacker to stab you with something or knock you out:thumbsdow

Frankly, unless you have a firearm on you or you have had proper training, a flashlight really has no place in self defense

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
This is a case for the d cell maglite ; you can legally walk around with a defensive club.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I love my Surefire, any bright light can disorient and blind an attacker.

Which can give you a few seconds to act while the target is reacting to the very bright light in a dark environment. But don't depend on a bright flashlight as being your only means of self-protection - it might scare off a burglar or it might annoy a serial rapist. It all depends on the offender and his (or her) reaction to being discovered.

Do this - go into your bathroom with your Fenix. Turn off all the lights and close the door. Give your eyes a minute or two to adjust to the darkness. Point your Fenix at the mirror and turn it on.

Ouch.

Now, really, how stunned are you? Enough to stop someone intent on inflicting bodily harm? Yeah, your eyes hurt and you're seeing stars. As long as the light's on, you can't see your reflection (and the offender most likely couldn't see you behind the light), but nothing prevents the offender from just rushing you in an effort to disrupt the light.

-Trevor

shomie911

Enlightened

Point your Fenix at yourself...turn it on...

Are you disoriented and stunned?

No your aren't, so why would some thug who has ill intent on his mind?

A CCW and a light is an effective self defense combo, but not just a flashlight.

Maybe if you had a hotwire incan so bright it could light your opponent on fire from about ten feet, then I would consider it an effective self defense option. :D

Illum

Flashaholic
TMedina, also take note that some people are naturally phobic to light at moderate intensities, so the effects may either be very effective or not effective at all.

I've once tried this sort of thing before...have someone walk around with a flashlight and I try to follow the light at night in a wooded area while wearing shades...if your going to do this do it somewhere away from lakes and ditches [don't ask me why, just avoid them] in about 20 minutes time you can actually see your surroundings using shades as long as theres an unobstructed road light somewhere on the road.

If your opponent winds up to be wearing shades, your not going to faze him unless you have a HID primed for re-striking

shomie911, Mag85 is useless at 10 feet in a lighted parking lot, I use it on campus after the late night classes, I think something that regards a mag623 might from 3 feet...singed eyebrows at best

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
TMedina, also take note that some people are naturally phobic to light at moderate intensities, so the effects may either be very effective or not effective at all.

I've once tried this sort of thing before...have someone walk around with a flashlight and I try to follow the light at night in a wooded area while wearing shades...if your going to do this do it somewhere away from lakes and ditches [don't ask me why, just avoid them] in about 20 minutes time you can actually see your surroundings using shades as long as theres an unobstructed road light somewhere on the road.

If your opponent winds up to be wearing shades, your not going to faze him unless you have a HID primed for re-striking

shomie911, Mag85 is useless at 10 feet in a lighted parking lot, I use it on campus after the late night classes, I think something that regards a mag623 might from 3 feet...singed eyebrows at best

It was playful sarcasm not a serious statement. :D

A light that outputted that much heat would pose as much of a threat to the handler as it does the target, unless said handler was wearing oven-mitts/heat-resistant gloves. Or something of the sort.

My point was to the OP, No, your light has no self-defense capability what-so-ever. :twothumbs

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
I just went outside for five minutes and got my brother to shine the light in my eyes after two and a half minutes of my ayes ajusting, this was from four feet on full power with the tk11 and right enough when the light went out after two seconds, everything was black for two seconds then i could make out shadows but couldn't see in front of me due to the dot so you are right i could have easily rushed my little brother and demanded his money but i couldn't have held out in a fight as it took my eyes a further 45s for the dot to fade, so i was blined directly in front of me. so if i do use it in self defence it would have to be followed by a kick to the face and an arm wrench after flooring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.