Fenix TK21 U2 user interface problems

anylau

Newly Enlightened
hey! thanks for remember my question!!! do appreciate it alot!!

i shall move forward to 2 rcr123 (2* 3.7v) set up... :p

anylau

Newly Enlightened
true to this.. i also not sure!!! i am also looking for a correct answer for his.. i search and see.. 16340 is abit longer then cr123... so.. i am not sure... fenix bane this battery on many lights...

1634017670.jpg

trustfire ones are 16340...

kj2

Flashaholic
Well. When I see this pic, I'm sure that 16340 are not the same as CR123A.
Thanks for the pic :)

the_sandman

Newly Enlightened
Had my TK21U for four days now- Here,s my issue: in "strobe" mode it cycles from fast to slow and so so on repeatedly without giving me the option to choose a constant strobe rate. No issues with turbo stepping down. Using x2 surefire CR123As.

Anyone else notice this?

Fenix's website, reviews nor the box or manual describes strobe working this way. All other Fenix models work the way i expeted this to - Frankly it sucks IMHO.

Feedback anyone?

Sandman

Last edited:

Nokoff

Enlightened
the "revolving" strobe is by design. it's not the normal disco light. curious why don't you like it if you like strobes?

I've used it outdoors on some trees, looks cool, and try catching fireflys with this on, good luck!
Had my TK21U for four days now- Here,s my issue: in "strobe" mode it cycles from fast to slow and so so on repeatedly without giving me the option to choose a constant strobe rate. No issues with turbo stepping down. Using x2 surefire CR123As.

Anyone else notice this?

Fenix's website, reviews nor the box or manual describes strobe working this way. All other Fenix models work the waybi expeted this to - Frankly it sucks IMHO.

Feedback anyone?

Sandman

l

kj2

Flashaholic
I've my TK21 U2 for a couple of weeks now. Very Very Very happy with it. Although I thought that the beam would throw further.
But overall, it's a very good light. Slightly green tint on the low mode, but in high-turbo it's all white.
Problems I don't have with it. Ran it for over 45minutes with an Tenergy 18650, and the only thing that happens was that the light got hot :p
Ony with the holster Fenix got work at. The piece of the holster that goes over the head of the light is to short. So the velcro will hit a part of the head.
It will result, I think, in a mark on the light during time. I have emailed Fenix about that problem.

Nokoff

Enlightened
kj2 my thoughts are mostly similar. I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now.

I had read elsewhere the holster is a universal type and wasn't made for this light. I've found the same issues as you. It's of good quality though so it's found other duty for me.

Mine also has the slight green in the corona, on the lowest levels only. High is mostly all white and Turbo is bright white. I buy mostly warms, neutral, and hi cri, though this tint doesn't bother me. That's a compliment :). It's no different than any other Fenix I've ever seen.

The throw on Turbo is on par with Fenix's TK40, so I feel it's quite impressive. It feels like I have the TK40 in a more compact design, four well spaced levels, tactical clicky with momentary, a preferable battery type to me as well, and without the slow, fast, and sos blink which I didn't use.

On the issue of throttling, or stepping, down, I've run mine on Redilast and Solarforce 18650. What I've observed is that it throttles down at 3.75v from Turbo to High, however one click and Turbo is back. The torch then throttles down twice more until 3.6v where it then throttles down to medium. At this point it's time for a charge regardless. I actually appreciate this attempt to conserve my battery for me, and I can use it to gauge my battery voltage. The override is at my command, all I have to do is click the button once and Turbo is back.

There is a lot of quality into this little torch.

kj2

Flashaholic
kj2 my thoughts are mostly similar. I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now.

I had read elsewhere the holster is a universal type and wasn't made for this light. I've found the same issues as you. It's of good quality though so it's found other duty for me.

Mine also has the slight green in the corona, on the lowest levels only. High is mostly all white and Turbo is bright white. I buy mostly warms, neutral, and hi cri, though this tint doesn't bother me. That's a compliment :). It's no different than any other Fenix I've ever seen.

The throw on Turbo is on par with Fenix's TK40, so I feel it's quite impressive. It feels like I have the TK40 in a more compact design, four well spaced levels, tactical clicky with momentary, a preferable battery type to me as well, and without the slow, fast, and sos blink which I didn't use.

On the issue of throttling, or stepping, down, I've run mine on Redilast and Solarforce 18650. What I've observed is that it throttles down at 3.75v from Turbo to High, however one click and Turbo is back. The torch then throttles down twice more until 3.6v where it then throttles down to medium. At this point it's time for a charge regardless. I actually appreciate this attempt to conserve my battery for me, and I can use it to gauge my battery voltage. The override is at my command, all I have to do is click the button once and Turbo is back.

There is a lot of quality into this little torch.

Well I must say, I'm a little bit spoilt with the throw of my TK41 (A)

Richub

Enlightened
My TK21 switches back to high after only 5 to 10 minutes runtime on an 18650.
Switching back to turbo doesn't work as the light switches back to high within a second.

Must be the 18650 that causes it, but it works perfectly in my other 1x 18650 lights: TK11, TK12 and TK15.
So I'm not replacing it. (yet)

Ah well, I'm using CR123as now in my TK21, and the light works perfectly with them.

Richub

Enlightened
It's an Ultrafire 2400 mAh protected 18650.

18650.jpg

I also have a couple of Xtars, they power my TK35. Also 2400 mAh and protected

xtar.jpg

I don't know if these are any good, so feel free to advice me on good brands.
Please note that I'm in Europe, and do not have a creditcard, so ordering via internet is a bit troublesome for me.

Thanks in advance. :)

kj2

Flashaholic
It's an Ultrafire 2400 mAh protected 18650.

18650.jpg

I also have a couple of Xtars, they power my TK35. Also 2400 mAh and protected

xtar.jpg

I don't know if these are any good, so feel free to advice me on good brands.
Please note that I'm in Europe, and do not have a creditcard, so ordering via internet is a bit troublesome for me.

Thanks in advance. :)
I have one XTAR too. :) good battery IMO.

the_sandman

Newly Enlightened
the "revolving" strobe is by design. it's not the normal disco light. curious why don't you like it if you like strobes?

I've used it outdoors on some trees, looks cool, and try catching fireflys with this on, good luck!

l

I guess I'm just used to a single strobe rate on Fenix lights. I wish, as it revolves, I could tap the button and freeze at that rate but oh well. I will learn to like it. My TK11 has just 1 mode (turbo) so what am I complaining abou right.

Thanks for response.

PS regarding 18650's: I almost bought one at frys electronics yesterday but soon realized it was designed for use in "builds" ie collection of batteries for use within laptop batteries. I guess many laptop batteries use 18650's within them. I'm not sure if it would have sucked or not but the wires hanging off the ends made me nervous so I passed -I expect I made the right choice.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well. When I see this pic, I'm sure that 16340 are not the same as CR123A.
Thanks for the pic :)

Well, that's technically comparing size to type but it's generally accepted that 16340 (16mm x 34mm) is used to refer to rechargeable CR123's (or RCR123's) whereas CR123's are your primary (non-rechargeable) cells.

@ anylau, the instruction manual (at least on mine) advises that 2 x LiIon's are a no no.

I was one of the lucky winners of Fenix Outfitters' giveaway and have had my TK21 for a couple of weeks now. I just wrapped up the T20C review so will be getting to a review of this light shortly but for now, given the hot topic on the kick-down from Turbo mode, I'm posting early the runtime I conducted in that mode using various 18650's as well as a test on 2xCR123's (Powerizer's).

The relevant battery stats are provided above each runtime graph along with:
- Voltage of the battery at the start and end of the test
- Current draw as taken right before the test (only AW IMR so far)
- Actual runtime on Turbo until it kicked-down to High (first in HR and then in M so read this as 1.3 Hrs OR 79 Min)
- For testing on Turbo only (in which case a fan was used), temperature: ambient, the head at start and the max it reached

Axis: X = Time in Min and Y = Relative Output

5851871164_e81b24ecbb_b.jpg

5851871234_ed106206e7_b.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

kj2

Flashaholic
Those AW are very good, when I see this graphics. To bad, that they are very expensive compared to Tenergy/XTAR/Ultrafire batteries.
Of course, quality costs money but 15-20 dollar for one battery that's a big no no for me. I'll stick with my Tenergy batteries.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, i just received my TK21 U2 last week and ran some tests(runtime) with it already. Just as anylau did i left the flashlight on and pointed to my pathfinder to recharge (great idea anylau). Running on AW 18650 2600mh partially full(4.17v).

On turbo it lasted for exactly -------- 1h33mins
I realized one thing when the battery is lower than 3.8v, always when the flashlight is turned on(when turbo was memorized), after 2 seconds it switches to high, so i have to manually switch it back to turbo(for real this time).... this issue doesnt bother me but it might for some people...I'm happy with my TK21 so far :) one bad thing is that some parts of the anodizing peeled off the knurling when i took it right out of the box... And the only thing that kills me is the lack of the belt clip and a strike bezel :(
My unit has no donut hole (as previous marriage of SMO reflector and R5 from Fenix), and my tint is a little bit yellowish when its not on turbo(pure white).

I prey Fenix could fix some of these issues in the future.

Hope some of my info helped you guys :)

Last edited: