Fenix TK22 for home defense shotgun?

dwburke811

Newly Enlightened
The surefire grips are ~$400, which just seems really expensive. I'm all for paying for quality but that just seems like paying for the name on the box more than anything else. I'd really like to not have to spend that much on the light mount if I don't have to. I'm looking around and it seems like every person has a different opinion on what's the "best" mount/grip/light, as does everyone on what's the "right" setup for a HD shotgun; pistol grip/hybrid/folding stock, for grip/no grip, shell holders, slings, sights, on and on and on lol

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What the frack? What model of SF did he have mounted? And what kind of shotgun?

Remington Pump Action 870 Police Model that fires either 2 3/4 or 3" shells, extension mag, messa tactical side saddle, 18.5" barrel.

IIRC a 318LM, the 100 lumen 2 switch

He cursed that mo fo.

:D

dss_777

Enlightened
The surefire grips are ~$400, which just seems really expensive. I'm all for paying for quality but that just seems like paying for the name on the box more than anything else. I'd really like to not have to spend that much on the light mount if I don't have to. I'm looking around and it seems like every person has a different opinion on what's the "best" mount/grip/light, as does everyone on what's the "right" setup for a HD shotgun; pistol grip/hybrid/folding stock, for grip/no grip, shell holders, slings, sights, on and on and on lol

"The mission drives the gear."
~Pat Rogers

In the end, only you can say what any solution is worth. It's your mission, after all...

As to mounts, imagine the non-foreend dual clamp setup that attaches the light to (or between) the barrel or magazine tube on an 870. Put the TK22 in the clamp mount, then walk through the process of turning on the light. Can you reach the tailswitch or sideswitch without disturbing your firing grip or otherwise seriously interrupting the efficient operation of the weapon? Can you do that under stress?

Without a fore-end mount you can't use the sideswitch on that light without moving your support hand around, and you can't operate the pump and hold down the rear pressure switch. Never a good idea to have so much going on when someone is trying to kill you, IMO.

I have no preference for that surefire fore-end mount, but I also have no idea what the mount alternatives are for shotguns. Shotguns are not my preference for a HD weapon, for this reason among others.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remington Pump Action 870 Police Model that fires either 2 3/4 or 3" shells, extension mag, messa tactical side saddle, 18.5" barrel.

IIRC a 318LM, the 100 lumen 2 switch

He cursed that mo fo.

:D

Yeah, I can't blame him. I'd have to learn some new swear words just for the occasion.

Sounds like I'll need to put my Scout light through its paces when I mount it to a shotgun. Which, to be fair, I was planning on doing anway, but still...

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exactly what DSS said. Everyone, and I do mean everyone has an opinion. And "best" is highly subjective, depending on a lot of varying factors. None of which really helps you. Try picking out, for example, the "best" weapon for home defense and be prepared to spend hours wading through opinions.

In essence, you have two basic options: an external mount with a flashlight, -or- an integrated foregrip/pump with light.

If you want to explore the integrated grip/mount, you might find it worth your while to browse firearm forums - you might be able to find a good deal on a Surefire grip/light, new or used.

If you want to stick to the external flashlight, you might still find it worth your while to browse firearm forums because of their emphasis. At CPF, we can talk for hours about the pros and cons of this model over that model, but not many of us (there are some) can approach the subject from the impact the weapon has on the flashlight.

Either way, good luck and let us know what you settled on - and why.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Me, I'd prefer a pistol and a hand held light instead of a weapon light in that scenario. If I have time to draw a pump gun and get off a shot, from being asleep in bed...I'd probably have time to bar the damn door and call 911.

At say, bedroom range like that, the pump gun's shot pattern is not that big and I'm a good reflex shooter with a pistol, so my odds of squeezing off a couple of nipples and a smile with the handgun is better than my odds of bringing the pump gun to bear and racking off a center of mass.

dss_777

Enlightened
Me, I'd prefer a pistol and a hand held light instead of a weapon light in that scenario. If I have time to draw a pump gun and get off a shot, from being asleep in bed...I'd probably have time to bar the damn door and call 911.

At say, bedroom range like that, the pump gun's shot pattern is not that big and I'm a good reflex shooter with a pistol, so my odds of squeezing off a couple of nipples and a smile with the handgun is better than my odds of bringing the pump gun to bear and racking off a center of mass.

Again, we're on the same page, though I'd actually prefer an AR if given the choice. :)

I'm absolutely convinced of the necessity for a permanently mounted light attached to whatever weapon is chosen for serious social purposes. There's a very good arguement for training to use the light whenever the weapon is used, day or night. The need for simplicity, reliability, and repetition all speak to a simple rear-clicky style light.

Here's to hoping this discussion always remains theoretical, for all of us!

Cheers!

Cartman

Newly Enlightened

Guess I was lucky to get a 618FA for $200 no tax at a show. I have upgraded it to a Malkoff and have been happy with it.