Fenix TK40 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodhran

Enlightened
Re: Fenix TK40 part2

Just took mine for a little ride out in the country. For camping, I would probably use the low and medium, and only rarely use high. You never know though when the turbo may come in handy and it's nice to know that it's there. I was curious to see if the claims of being comparable to a vehicle spot light were true and to my eyes at least, it is easily as bright. On mine, there is a flicker when switching from turbo to low, but not a big problem. Over all I think it's a great light and well worth the money. Just need to find a convenient way of carrying it.

Mike89

Enlightened

if one of your headlights on your car goes out, you could break out the glass and shove this thing in there. might want to put it on high and not turbo though. don't want it to outshine the real headlight too much.

LOL, now that was funny. Who says us flashlight freaks don't have a good sense of humor?

I'm sure my family is willing to forgo a meal out, if it means funding the purchase of a blinding new light

To recoup some of the cost, I'm just gonna provide a Top Ramen/french fries/coke dinner for the family. We are going to eat with the lights off and this light on! My wife's gonna look at me cockeyed but the kids will love it!

Last edited:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened

i believe someone asked for a size comparison to a maglite and another tk model. i have the T1; don't have any other TKs...
3DTK40T1copy.jpg

3DT1TK40P3Dcopy.jpg

lineupcopy.jpg

...i hope this helps. sorry if some of these pictures are a little blurry. i took these with my phone (samsung memoir 8 megapixel camera phone). sometimes it takes good pictures, sometimes they're blurry...

Wow ... is that your couch? Really?

(just kidding, nice collection of lights)

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened

LOL on the couch comment!

EDIT: And have ordered a TK40 second day air from Brightguy. Can't wait!

Last edited:

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened

OK, battery question from ignorant newb. Reading the thread so far, I understand that this light will likely gobble up alkaline batteries like nobody's business. OK, won't use those. What about Li ion? OK to use, or would they bugger-up the flashlight somehow? Thanks.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got notice that mine is in the mail to me. :grin2:

There's already a long line of AA NiMH's in front of the charger ... :cool:

donald2036

Newly Enlightened

I heard that the TK40 runs 2 set of 4 AAs in parallel, so isn't there some problems to run nimh/alk AAs in parallel??

I had some sort of impression in my head that to avoid running AAs in parallel, though, I forgot where I heard this or why it shouldn't. Would anyone clarify this pls.? Thx.

P.S. I'm new :D

HKJ

Flashaholic

I heard that the TK40 runs 2 set of 4 AAs in parallel, so isn't there some problems to run nimh/alk AAs in parallel??

I had some sort of impression in my head that to avoid running AAs in parallel, though, I forgot where I heard this or why it shouldn't. Would anyone clarify this pls.? Thx.

P.S. I'm new :D

That depends.
If you put a old and a new set batteries in, the new set will try to charge the old set and that is not smart.
Always use same manufacturer and type battery and preferable also same age, but that holds for both serial and parallel connection.

Last edited:

donald2036

Newly Enlightened

That depends.
If you put a old and a new set batteries in, the new set will try to charge the old set and that is not smart.
Always use same manufacturer and type battery and preferable also same age, but that hold for both serial and parallel connection.

Thx HKJ, that's the sort of disadvantage I was supposed to talk about.

So, I guess that would cause some sort of troubles for using nimh batteries? Really unwise to keep 8 nimhs exclusively for the tk40, or another spare set of 8. :thinking:

Anyway, I really want to get one of this~

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like an NiMH purchase is in my future ... meaning, TODAY.

burntoshine

Enlightened

Wow ... is that your couch? Really?

(just kidding, nice collection of lights)

haha! i hear ya. that's basement beater furniture; that's the love seat, matching couch not in foto - free from a relative. they're darn comfy though.

Thanks burntoshine, very good pictures! :twothumbs

Seems like it is ok to use the switch with thumb. Only drawback is that now I probably have to buy it.... :D

the switch is really easy to use with your thumb. you can comfortably hold the flashlight whilst keep your thumb on the switch. either way you hold the light, it feels evenly weighted.

@ burntoshine, Thanks for all the pictures!! :thanks:

glad you all liked the pictures. i know i kept wanting to see more pictures when i was waiting for this light. i was surprised no one else had posted any. this light has such a good projection outdoors. it's just like a spot light. it really put my T1 to shame. i think the lumens levels are programmed nicely, too. each level is significantly brighter than the previous. i know what you're thinking, i should've taken outdoor beam shots saturday night when i was playing with it, but i had a drink in the other hand.

happy illuminating! :)

Ruusperi

Newly Enlightened

Hello people!

This is my first post, although I've been lurking in here for quite some time now. :wave:

I really, REALLY want the TK40. Don't know why, I don't really need it... but I still want one :). Anyway, last week I was about to pre-order the TK40 light but before doing so.

I decided to query about the TK40 and its stock situation. So I sent an email to the official Finnish Fenix Light dealers (http://www.fenixvalaisimet.fi) and I got rather surprising (at least to me) reply from them stating that TK40 lights are being delivered already but if I'm not in immediate need of a new light they told me to hold on for a few weeks for upcoming "upgrade" to the TK40. They didn't tell me what was coming but of course I was interested.. what upgrade?? It's a brand new light, upgrade this soon???

Today I revisited the site and indeed there is a new ad for TK40 2ND Edition ( http://www.fenixvalaisimet.fi/fenix_tk40.htm ). It's in finnish language but the 2ND Edition is said to produce 730lm instead of the previous 630lm! According the site the light is coming out on week 19 ( 4th of may -> 8th of may).

Damn! Again I have to wait & bite me tongue for a one month but I think the wait is worth it. The price is same and you get nice extra 100lm as a bonus.

Anyway I thought this was exciting news and not sure if you guys know about this.

Sorry about poor English, it's not my native language :).

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

It hasn't been launched more than, what 2 weeks? And it's announced 2nd edition will be out? :faint:
Wouldn't that **** off guys who bought the first batch? Thanks for the tips, Ruusperi. And welcome to CPF.

Last edited:

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow...I didnt even get mine yet and a new version is releasing soon! While I'm sure it will be difficult to tell the difference, but every lumen counts!

rhicks

Newly Enlightened

I am so glad Ruusperi posted about the 2nd edition. I was about to place an order this morning. Wonder when the US dealers will open up for pre-orders. Maybe after the current stock is depleted. hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.