Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

Axion

Enlightened
Re: Fenix TK40 Review

Great review. But it sounds like the TK40 is off my list.

Don't like the UI
Don't like the thin walls
Needs WARM tint.

dudu84

Enlightened

Thanks for the great review. It's nice to know TK40 can safely run on 4x Eneloop.

I honestly think running on 8x AA is rather outrageous, defeats the purpose of simple/easy to find AA batteries. If we use NiMH, we need all 8 cells to have similar capacities (which is not exactly simple) in order to be able to drain the cells completely. 4xAA is cool though.

Still, I'd rather carry 2x18650 for spare, 8xAA are heavy, take lots of space. If Fenix add 18650 ability then this light will probably sell much better, voltage ranges should not be a problem as 2x18650 is between 4xAA and 8xAA.

In the end, is it just me but I think most of latest quality multi-core LED lights are grossly overpriced?
Surely they are very bright, but due to the new LED technology and some tweaks in circuitry.

I'd understand if it's 20-30$ more than a single-core LED because P7/MC-E is rather pricey and cost of electronics/material increase too but judging on the insignificant design improvement (besides the cuicut, the body and battery fitment of TK40 look pretty darn simple to me), I can never justify myself for spending over $100 buying this :/

Perhaps we are already being charged for R&D costs? :shrug:

Thx for reading, my 2c :)

Last edited:

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic

Great Review, sounds like some are waiting on the 1000Lumen TK50 that uses 4 CR123 or 2 18650's. Sounds nice, doesnt it. Iam J/K, I know of no TK50 lol..

Wattnot

Enlightened

Okay, the new beamshots are up. This should give everyone a good idea of what to expect from this great light!

:hitit:

exodus125

Enlightened
IMG_0109.jpg

ROP 100 feet

IMG_0110.jpg

TK40 100 feet

IMG_0112.jpg

ROP 150 feet

IMG_0113.jpg

TK40 150 feet

IMG_0116.jpg

ROP 200 feet

IMG_0117.jpg

TK40 200 feet

IMG_0119.jpg

ROP 300 feet

IMG_0121.jpg

TK40 300 feet

I dunno, but am I the only one that is thinking " why get the tk40 when you can have an ROP for much less"

I for one wouldn't get an 8AA light to be running it on low or med.
I still get amazed when I see beamshots of ROP's.

exodus125

Enlightened
Glad I am not the only one, look at the 200 and 300 ft shots, the ROP is incredible.

I wonder how a malkoff p7 for the maglite would compare to the tk40, the sniper p7 and/or an ROP for that matter.

I was THINKING about getting maybe a malkoff p7, but for the money I still think an ROP is the best lumen for your buck.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I dunno, but am I the only one that is thinking " why get the tk40 when you can have an ROP for much less"

I for one wouldn't get an 8AA light to be running it on low or med.
I still get amazed when I see beamshots of ROP's.

The TK40 is smaller than a 2D Maglite and runs two hours at max and much longer at lower settings, why get a ROP?

exodus125

Enlightened
I am not trying to argue here, I know the tk40 will give you a longer runtime at max output. But at what price? $150 vs $30 for a reflector and a couple of bulbs.

I know the ROP drains fast, I am just pointing out how bright the ROP beamshots are at a very small price.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I am not trying to argue here, I know the tk40 will give you a longer runtime at max output. But at what price? $150 vs $30 for a reflector and a couple of bulbs.

I know the ROP drains fast, I am just pointing out how bright the ROP beamshots are at a very small price.

I like a bright light, but I also want a light than can do more than a short flash of very bright light.
A ROP is probably fun to play with, but for practical use it will be :thumbsdow for many job. I also believe that you price estimate for a ROP it a bit low, I would also expect these items on the shopping list: frontglass, batteries, host and maybe a battery holder.

DM51

Flashaholic
Let's not get to deep into a TK40 vs. ROP argument here.

There may be a useful comparison thread to be done along those lines, but this thread is not the place for it.

exodus125

Enlightened
I got all the parts from kaidomain an it was about 30 bucks all together. Even with a cheap set up you will get over 500 lumens.

if you have a 6d host already, all you need is the reflector, glass and bulb. Dont want to derail the thread, just commenting on the brightness of the ROP thats all.

The fact the light has a 10 something lumen low, is "cool" but really, I can carry a small pen light if I want to use 10 lumens. Its versatile, but sometimes when you try to make ONE thing into an EVERYTHING, it goes overboard.

DM51

Flashaholic
exodus125... I'll assume you posted that before you knew my post was there, so I'll leave it for now.

Further off-topic posts will be deleted.

batman

Enlightened
I would like to know if this light is brighter than the M6 HOLA...630 lumens from Fenix vs 500 lumens from surefire. I'm guessing the M6 still kills it.

bodhran

Enlightened
I was just going through some boxes and came across a Raine D cell holster. Didn't even know I had one. Tried it on the tk40 and it fits and looks great. Just another carry option for those interested.

axim

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an expert as most of you are,
but couldn't over-dsicharging become a problem? How exactly are the batteries wired? Doesn't it have to be in series to achieve an adequate voltage?