Fenix TK45 Review (XP-G R4 Testing Sample): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Gryffin

Enlightened
I'm guessing the "rattle" is there because the carrier is sized for the fattest batteries around. Or, god forbid, in case one or more cells leaks and swells... :duh2:

I wonder if there's enough clearance to wrap a single layer of duct tape around the carrier? That would solve the rattle, and keep the cells from popping loose. If Fenix sells spare carriers, the tape sure would make reloads a bit simpler.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the "rattle" is there because the carrier is sized for the fattest batteries around. Or, god forbid, in case one or more cells leaks and swells... :duh2:

I wonder if there's enough clearance to wrap a single layer of duct tape around the carrier? That would solve the rattle, and keep the cells from popping loose. If Fenix sells spare carriers, the tape sure would make reloads a bit simpler.

IIRC the early TK40s had a rattle as well, which was corrected shortly after the first release.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Turbo: 1.08A
Hi: 0.30A
Med: 0.08A (or 79.5mA on the 200mA scale)
Lo: 0.01A (or 5.6mA on the 200mA scale)
So, if I go with the 55uA drain estimate, that should give me 4.15 years on 2000mAh Eneloops (given that the Tk45 seems to be all 8 batteries in series). Does my math sound right to you HKJ?
selfbuilt, thank you for the drain reading.
HKJ, thank you for the instructions to take the reading.
both of you are simply awesome :twothumbs

Archie Cruz

Banned
Selfbuilt- I'm fairly 'new' here, but I have to say, you post a hell of a review!.
Being a big believer in comparative beamshots, you answered a lot of questions for me with them.

This pullquote tells me a lot:

"Clearly, the TK45 is not a great thrower – you wouldn't expect it to be with this design. But it does have one of the smoothest and most even beam profiles I've seen in a high-output light. If you want a "wall of light," this would be a good choice."
Fortunately for me, I want walls of light and a couple of throwers for my trade.

Yes, separate heads make a difference because if you do a test that shows a beamshot of each head alone (covering the others) you'll find that the heads are probably NOT parallel, as is commonly the case with co-located reflectors. That's how the daisy overlaps are avoided! This is the right way to deliver beam that's useful close up.
Eventually, Fenix will enclose the array in something 'circular' for aesthetic finish, but obviously it's not necessary.

I take it the TK45 blows the TK40 away? I would appreciate a side by side of the beamshots and side-view to show relative size.

I use these lights for photography primarily so I'm always keen to know how the new lights compare to what I'm using now.
I see FENIX as the next leader in flashlights in about 2 years. MAG ought to buy them out before it's too late.

Great job!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, separate heads make a difference because if you do a test that shows a beamshot of each head alone (covering the others) you'll find that the heads are probably NOT parallel, as is commonly the case with co-located reflectors. That's how the daisy overlaps are avoided! This is the right way to deliver beam that's useful close up.
Well, they are at least somewhat parallel - just not perfectly so. ;)

FYI, here are some close-up shows of Med mode taken at varying distances from a white wall. I started at ~3cm away from the wall, and moved the light back in ~5-15cm at a time increments (accelerating over time), ending at ~1m. The camera stayed fixed.

TK45-Beam003.jpg
TK45-Beam004.jpg
TK45-Beam005.jpg
TK45-Beam006.jpg
TK45-Beam007.jpg
TK45-Beam008.jpg
TK45-Beam009.jpg
TK45-Beam010.jpg
TK45-Beam011.jpg

Give you a pretty good idea what the beam looks like. Somewhere around the third-fourth from last panel is ~0.5m, where I take most of white wall beamshots (including those in the main review).

A question just occurred to me, what is the behavior on strobe? That is, do all three emitters 'fire' at the same time or are they out of sequence? I can imagine that to be one crazy strobe if they all flashed in a diffferent sequence. I might actually live up to Jetbeam's "randomizing and disorienting" strobe.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
A question just occurred to me, what is the behavior on strobe? That is, do all three emitters 'fire' at the same time or are they out of sequence? I can imagine that to be one crazy strobe if they all flashed in a diffferent sequence. I might actually live up to Jetbeam's "randomizing and disorienting" strobe.
Well, I haven't looked too closely at it (max output at 15Hz after all :whistle:), but it seems to me that everything is firing synchronously (i.e. all emitters at the same time).

The only thing that ever changes is in the low mode, which rotates through each of the heads as you cycle through on-offs.

Epimetheus

Newly Enlightened
I notice that in its local promotional stuff, Fenix shows the cell carrier as being black (plastic presumably).

2010611154536724.jpg

Should this be of any interest, or has it already been clarified?

:confused:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I notice that in its local promotional stuff, Fenix shows the cell carrier as being black (plastic presumably).
Hmmm, interesting. From the limited picture, it looks exactly the same as my clear one (except for being in black, of course).

Presumably, that will be the shipping version - but I have no direct info one way or the other.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I may have missed it, but can this light take L91 lithiums?
Hmmm, not sure. There's nothing in the spec sheet from Fenix, and I haven't tested them (8xL91 would be a tad expensive). Have any of the other pre-release reviewers reported using them?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt,

Did Fenix let you keep this TK45 testing sample light or did you have to return it back to them after your review was done?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame on you guys..here I thought I'd be happy with my TK40,but now you're tempting me again.(That's not very nice when I'm trying to keep my spending under control.tsk,tsk.)

Nice-Light

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt,

Did Fenix let you keep this TK45 testing sample light or did you have to return it back to them after your review was done?

Any Fenix light sent to Selfbuilt by the Canadian Fenix Distributor, Notosora International Imports Ltd is for Selfbuilt to keep after his review. :thumbsup:

Misan

Newly Enlightened
Last night I indulged tk45. I like the UI in TK45 more than TK40. Don't like if it shake the battery pack within a few dangles like rattle. A good filler light, but can't determine the tint - some greenish-bluish. Kind of like the new year promises to release TK45 3*18650. :popcorn:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Last night I indulged tk45. I like the UI in TK45 more than TK40. Don't like if it shake the battery pack within a few dangles like rattle. A good filler light, but can't determine the tint - some greenish-bluish. Kind of like the new year promises to release TK45 3*18650. :popcorn:
Hmm, interesting to hear about the tint - is that from a R5-equipped shipping light, or one of the R4-equipped testers? The tint on mine was very pleasant and uniform.

Any Fenix light sent to Selfbuilt by the Canadian Fenix Distributor, Notosora International Imports Ltd is for Selfbuilt to keep after his review. :thumbsup:
Yes, and for those of you who may be wondering, Nice-Light is Notosora's rep on CPF. :)

CyberCT

Enlightened
Hmm any more impressions of the actual production light? I'm interested in maybe getting this.