*** Fenix User Group ***

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix used to be a leader, what happend to them? :(

Nitecore and Olight leapfrog them....

I recently purchased Fenix PD40, FD40, and TK35UE to augment my Nitecore lights, so as far as I am concerned Fenix is doing very well. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Fenix used to be a leader, what happend to them? :(

Nitecore and Olight leapfrog them....

For me Fenix is the preferred choice out of the said brands, imo just better made and the ano seems to hold up better. Nitecore seem to be throwing more lights out than any other brand, not convinced all good or the QC side is up to scratch. Still they are keeping it interesting for me, as they seem to be class leaders for innovation.........imo anyway. Hoping the new tk61 will change things a little although thats next year:confused:

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While their build quality is great, Nitecore and Olight are also quite good (more then good enough) while atm offering much better lights, S1, S10RII, MH20, EC11, EC4s, S2, M3XS-UT, (and the javelot series) MH40GT, MH27...all this lights are like few years ahead of Fenix offer atm sadly, hope they can get back to their glory days.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix seems to be not the large manufacturer as is Nitecore but they do produce excellent lights with much more detail in design detail. There KD35UE for example seems to have solved the problem of no current draw when switched off as compared to the Nitecore EC4(S/SW).

Also Nitecore or Olight does not have a standard 26650 battery light in the market; I have two different Fenix lights that do offer this battery. :thumbsup:

kj2

Flashaholic
Also Nitecore or Olight does not have a standard 26650 battery light in the market; I have two different Fenix lights that do offer this battery. :thumbsup:
Olight R40, doesn't have a standard one, but one is included. The Fenix PD40 doesn't come with a battery, which is kinda odd to me because it uses a different (non 18650) battery.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight R40, doesn't have a standard one, but one is included. The Fenix PD40 doesn't come with a battery, which is kinda odd to me because it uses a different (non 18650) battery.
The Fenix PD40 uses a standard 26650 battery; FD40 also uses a standard 26650 battery and is also supplied with an insert to use 18650 batteries.

Edit added: The Olight R40 Seeker is reported to use a non-standard 26650 cell which might be the reason the light comes with a battery; the light also uses a Cree XM-L2 LED.

I like to have the option to use standard 26650 batteries where I can have a more reasoned choice. There is a question about the Olight R40 might use a proprietary battery configuration.

Last edited:

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
You talk so much here about Olight being "sooo good". I have a very different opinion on this brand, since I found they lie quite a lot about their runtimes of flashlights. For example I recently measured very populare Olight S1, Olight claims runtime on the moonlight mode up to 15 days. I could not measure more than 4,5 days of runtime. A lot of other users describe these foundings. Fenix is much more accurate or "honest" about their ANSI measured runtimes. I don't like manufactures who lie about their product qualities... what else do they lie about? impact resistence? water resistence? about quality of the material used? :thinking:

I BELIEVE IN FENIX !!! :twothumbs

kj2

Flashaholic
New here and am torn between a tk75 and rc40. Pros and cons? Thanks
The RC40 is an awesome light, but still uses 'older' XM-L leds and uses a battery pack. The TK75 2015 puts out more lumens and is way smaller.
Also, the TK75 has the option to add a extension tube to run 8x 18650 in total for extended runtime.

ven

Flashaholic
For me thats a real tough one, the rc40 is kind of the flag ship model, a beast, awesome but now a little dated. However if sent to vinh for a more up to date LED, de-dome then............well an rc40vn is something else imo.

tk75 2015 is a nice light, in standard form the only improvements for me is now a lockout, thread for tripod and more lumens, the latter from 2900 to 4000 is very well hidden due to 4 shallower/smaller reflectors vs 3 larger deeper wells..........

Bonus of the tk75 is run time kits so more flexible there, if staying standard, i would be looking probably at a deal on the tk75 2900lm version tbh!

Ultimately, as an rc40 is being considered and budget greater, look at the tk75vnQ, 360kcd,5000lm+ish...........and of course run time kit
Rec option of $298
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?406724-TK75vnQ-Best-Searchlight

:welcome:

fearsomekittens

Newly Enlightened
Great responses! I like both and still can't decide! Luckily I have to wait til mid-January as the mortgage comes first. I do have another question: why do you guys feel the rc40 is a bit outdated? Thanks and Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
It is only just my opinion and because its not been updated recently, the LED is not the latest being the XML U2 . The original date is early 2013 iirc which tbh is fine by me, but if spending £250+ i want it ideally to be a more updated LED for output/ efficiency (not a must, just an "ideally" . The battery packs are not cheap either and i would have to have a spare one! I would still have an rc40 !!!! no question there, but for me i dont think it would be picked up over the more compact tk75 and having 4x xhp70 leds, kind of blows it out of the water(other than heat dissipation/run time on higher mode, which is 3500lm on the rc40). With the equivalent mode on the tk75, the light would get hot and would have to be stepped back after 10 mins or so(variable on ambient temps so rough example).

Now i would like an rc40, maybe i am waiting for an update that again imo is over due!

Its a tough choice, i decided on a tk75vnQ70 but i will hold my hands up and admit the huge head/design of the rc40 appeals to me more:D just not too taken in with the battery pack and maybe on the slightly too large side. By that i mean, i find the bigger the light , the more chance of it being left behind and a more convenient sized light taken!
Its a beast, i am dreaming of xhp70' leds and drivervnx2 or 3................:naughty:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?379121-RC40-Stock-VS-TK75vn-KillerThrow

Every time i see an rc40..............i start wanting all over again!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello. New Fenix lover checking in.

Over two decades as a Flashoholic and I can proudly say the Fenix TK35UE 2015 XHP50 is hands down my all-time favorite light.

There the is nothing I dislike or would change. It's perfect for me.

ven

Flashaholic
Hello. New Fenix lover checking in.

Over two decades as a Flashoholic and I can proudly say the Fenix TK35UE 2015 XHP50 is hands down my all-time favorite light.

There the is nothing I dislike or would change. It's perfect for me.

Hi new fenix lover, must admit the tk35 does apeal to me full stop, even the original version, then the mt-g2 for that fantastic 5000k floody beam and also the xhp50 edition. Would be cool to have the set!

fearsomekittens

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the tk75. I considered the thrunite tn36 but the throw on the Fenix is much more impressive. Thanks for the input everyone