Firs Mag mod! help me choose

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
When doing a search on his posts, it appears that he attempted to insert a link into his post which is not displaying for some reason. :)

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone see any text in Howecollc's post above, #19? It looks completely blank to me.
It's a secret post which only non-moderators are able to read... LOL

I can see his post in my email inbox only, he tried to post a link to a bulb store in UK.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Essexman and Gunner12 thanks for the help!:clap: how many lumens can i expect from this mod ? and will i get some good throw with the right reflector?

is it ok to direct drive ? and whats the difference in a P7 and a P4?

thanks jamie

also could you point me in the direction for parts ? and the right heatsink ?

thanks

Edit: whats with the 2 puks for brighter ?

It is ok to direct drive if the battery voltage is similar to the LED's voltage (or if the batteries sag to the voltage in the case of alkalines).

A P7 is essentially 4 Seoul P4s wired in parallel in one package. So it is brighter, but the Seoul P4 will have more throw due to the more concentrated emitting area.

Both the ROP and LED mods work fine.

The Micropuck mod will get around 120 lumen out the front but should throw decently because of the maglite reflector. It should have a pretty good runtime too. I think you can wire two micropucks in parallel for more power, but I'm not sure. More current = more output. As for the components, do a quick search and look in the B/S/T section.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single D mag with the copper Malkoff drop in and a AA adapter from Modamag I think. OP reflector. wquiles cut it down, the rest was drop-in. When I can afford a P7/M-CE or whatever the flavor is then, easy to upgrade. But with Mags the sky is the limit really. I didn't have tons on cash, this was probly $160 or so.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for all the replies

I thaught the micropuck put out more than 250 lumens ?

jamie

The Micropuck is just the electronic boost driver. The one used in my tutorial was the 500mA SHO (super high output). You won't get 250 lumens with 500mA from any current LED at this moment in time that I know of (awaiting smart arse geek type to post a reply showing me some super new LED that can :ohgeez:)

SO what you going to do?

ROP or LED ?

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Roar Of the Pelican will put out 400 lumens on low, 1000+ on high, and 250ish on X-low. I love mine, and find it a great starter mod, what with not needing machine tools. It's a very flexible design, and quite robust* too.

Edit: *by hotwire standards.

+1, it's a classic, and great for those new to modding.

JamisonM

Enlightened
The Micropuck is just the electronic boost driver. The one used in my tutorial was the 500mA SHO (super high output). You won't get 250 lumens with 500mA from any current LED at this moment in time that I know of (awaiting smart arse geek type to post a reply showing me some super new LED that can :ohgeez:)

SO what you going to do?

ROP or LED ?
Instead of a micro puck; get a SST-50, hipCC, and 6AA to 2D adapter. You could replace the SST-50 for a P7 and have higher output, but I'd rather have the SST-50 because it should focus better with the maglite's reflector. Either way, I'd guess you're guetting at least 250lm.

jamie.91

Enlightened
i think i am going to go with the ROP because i want more power than i already have and it would be my only incan ! ...But the micropuck does look like a good no hassle cheaper option that wouold also give me a good light, but i still think ROP

what battery setup is best for an ROP and how many volts do i need

jamie

Databyter

Enlightened
Originally posted by Kestrel

A very good recent thread on building a ROP is here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=236731
Good luck.
Now that you know what your building you should read the thread on it rather than asking a question for each logical step.

Although your questions are welcome, it is more efficient to read the material and only ask the questions left over after that.

Found this which might be even better, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120462

Last edited:

jamie.91

Enlightened
Originally posted by Kestrel

Now that you know what your building you should read the thread on it rather than asking a question for each logical step.

Although your questions are welcome, it is more efficient to read the material and only ask the questions left over after that.

Found this which might be even better, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120462

Thanks
jamie

jamie.91

Enlightened
i have been researching and im still curious about the battery config ? why has nobady found a single no hassle single battery which will fit in the mag without cutting it down or boring it out.

so my idea is ... http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27088

i know these are the wrong voltage and stuff but im sure at some point i have seen a long thin version smililar to the one at the bottom of the picture somewhere ?

now am i on to something or should i shut my mouth and do what everyone else does lmao ?

thanks jamie

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
shoot a pm to forum member mdocod...he builds the battery holders for a 2d mag that holds the necessary 6AA batteries to give you the 7.2 volts to drive the bulbs. don't know if he ships to uk or not, but it's worth a try. I would get at least two of them that way you have a back up set of batteries already loaded plus if you ever break it or want another light you're already set.

jamie.91

Enlightened
shoot a pm to forum member mdocod...he builds the battery holders for a 2d mag that holds the necessary 6AA batteries to give you the 7.2 volts to drive the bulbs. don't know if he ships to uk or not, but it's worth a try. I would get at least two of them that way you have a back up set of batteries already loaded plus if you ever break it or want another light you're already set.

do you know how much he charges ?

thanks jamie

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you know how much he charges ?

thanks jamie

look here

Someone else more knowledgeable may chime in :D
but you should be able to use 2 x 18650 with just a sleeve
or 2 x 26500 with a sleeve and a spacer (differences in cell length and
diameter when compared to a standard D cell)
AW sells such cells in the Marketplace, look here

For more detail about using the ROP and IMR cells, look here

jamie.91

Enlightened
Have you built it yet? ....... Pictures?...:popcorn:

sorry matey, moneys a little tight at the moment and car insurence isnt cheap at 18 years old, £1600 infact!

and the shipping to the UK is extortion lol

also i am looking for a new EDC so there are other light i m bothered about at the moment

thnks jamie

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Just ordred a lump of delrin for a battery tube - I hoped you had some tips....

Good luck with the insurance :eek:

Latest posts