Firs Mag mod! help me choose

jamie.91

Enlightened
Just ordred a lump of delrin for a battery tube - I hoped you had some tips....

Good luck with the insurance :eek:

no such thing as good luck with young drivers lol my first year it cost me £2200 and this year it cost £1600 on the same car lmao its killing me!

jamie

UpChUcK

Enlightened
i think an ROP is the way to go as everyone seems to recomend it

The ROP is such an easy mod that everyone should do it. Nowadays you can get all you need "off the shelf". Back in the days you had to fabricate you own battery holders, assemble the battery packs from whatever cells you could scrounge up, cut the stock reflectors and so forth. Now you can get 6xAA battery holders from FiveMega and SandwichShoppe (though out of stock), the Pelican 3854 bulbs from Lighthound and an aluminum textured reflector from BriteLumens and KaiDomain. I use the textured reflector for the smooth beam it provides. The ROP is definitely my "WOW Light".

i think i am going to go with the ROP because i want more power than i already have and it would be my only incan ! ...But the micropuck does look like a good no hassle cheaper option that wouold also give me a good light, but i still think ROP

what battery setup is best for an ROP and how many volts do i need

jamie

Check out this thread for the various voltages for the ROP. I use 6xAA Eneloops/Duraloops for mine in a 2D. You'll also see the predicted lumens. My ROP Hi is easily 900+ lumens at on fresh charged cells settling into the 600's. As far as runtime, I can get ~30 minutes of diminishing light from 900+ to ~600 lumens with the ROP Hi. A bit over an hour with ROP Lo with roughly half the output. If you have a 6D and 12000mAh NiMH cells you could get 3 hrs of runtime! :drool: ...and have a nice club to boot. :D

DM51

Flashaholic
[hijack]
Jamie, OT advice, but if you applied to put your car on your parents' insurance policy with yourself as a named driver and no-one else under 25 allowed to drive it, you should get a much better rate.

You could then agree to reimburse your parents with any extra costs they might incur. That should work - unless your car is a Bugatti Veyron or some such rocket, lol.
[/hijack]

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[hijack]
Jamie, OT advice, but if you applied to put your car on your parents' insurance policy with yourself as a named driver and no-one else under 25 allowed to drive it, you should get a much better rate.

You could then agree to reimburse your parents with any extra costs they might incur. That should work - unless your car is a Bugatti Veyron or some such rocket, lol.
[/hijack]

Sorry more OT – if he has to make a claim whilst under his parents insurance policy then his parents would loose their no claims bonus? [where's the EEEEEKK smilie gone?]

By paying for his own insurance he will earn his own no claims bonus and get a good discount in a few years time?

Back on topic - Jamie, keep an eye on the classifieds whilst you save up, you may be able to buy some parts along the way and build up a nice torch part by part over a longer time?

jamie.91

Enlightened
HAHA OT the insurance is insane and it is Illegal to go on my parents as i would have to be a named driver but i would be driving it more which makes me the main driver

anyone who says "yeah, but they cant prove you drive it more than youre parent" try getting a quote at 17

" hi, i wouold like to add my sonto my insurance policy as a named driver"

"HOW MUCH" or " DIALTONE"

and thats no joke

there view is that they dont really want you so if they make up a number and youre stupid enough to pay it its no skin off thier nose. ( BTW i had quotes of more than £4000 )

i know EEEEEEK

jamie