First 18650 light

mmace1

Enlightened
Long time user of CPF - but I *rarely* buy. Right now I own all of 3 lights -Fenix TK41, Quark 2xAA XM-L2 Pro, & a DQG II. Maybe I average 1.5 lights a year. I research all the time (this is some sort of sick fun to me), but rarely buy.

I'm looking at getting an 18650 light, which I've never had before. Get an Xtar charger, etc. Probably 1x18650, possibly 3x18650 (but unlikely). No 2x18650 - either small and "normal" - or just a beast for fun. Not compromises.

I prefer...

Flood to throw
Set levels vs. variable

Zebralight SC600 appeals to me - but how waterproof is that switch? I'd be taking this light in the ocean (not diving) but - yes, in the ocean. I've done this before and all was well...until I tried taking a twisty-head mode selection light - that was my stupidity. Should not twist loose/tight again when in the ocean....

Eagletac G25-C2-II - Looks somehow more durable? More traditional switch.

Nitecore TM 15 - built in charger, that's a plus. Quite big though...and maybe a little more toward throw than spill for my taste. Definite fun factor though (which is the only reason I own a TK41).

Your thoughts on these or other lights?

markr6

Flashaholic
Since you prefer flood to throw like me, I really like the Fenix PD32UE. It has a very useable beam for lighting up everything close to you without sacraficing throw completely. The tint is really nice too if you're into that. I've also swam in the lake several times with my LD10 and LD22, so I have no reservation about Fenix's quality and waterproof rating.

I've looked at the G25C2 many times but never pulled the trigger. If I did, I'm sure I would be using the diffuser most of the time.

markr6

Flashaholic
The beamshots indicate the PD32UE has a beam a bit more focused than the G25C?

That's interesting. It could appear that way because of the close distance, but I can't say first hand. The PD32UE has a distance rating of 155m, and the G25C shows 295m, so I believe the beam is tighter (but I'm comparing an XM-L and XM-L2 here)

mmace1

Enlightened
Distance rating don't fall under ANSI, or do they? If not...then it's kind of difficult to compare.

XM-L/XM-L2 shouldn't make a horribly large amount of distance. But now that I think about it - going by the head on the G25C2, it *must* be a far more focused beam - I've no idea why I didn't notice that before.

I should probably clarify - I prefer flood vs. throw, but more specifically - I really like a wide spill. Wide spill and...the hotspot can kinda be anything. Large or small.

Zandar

Enlightened
mmace1 , Have you thought about a custom light? Jason of "Prometheus Lights " built my first light for me after I joined the forum. I knew virtually nothing about led lights and He guided me through the whole process. Check out His website @ darksucks.com and His "forum "Darksucks" You can fully customize His lights or start with a readymade at $250. All His lights are exceptionally well and after over a year of daily use I'm stilll 100% satisfied.

mmace1

Enlightened
That's interesting. It could appear that way because of the close distance, but I can't say first hand. The PD32UE has a distance rating of 155m, and the G25C shows 295m, so I believe the beam is tighter (but I'm comparing an XM-L and XM-L2 here)

Gah...nevermind. I meant the Eagletac D25LC2. Sorry, it's hard for me to keep Eagletac (& Foursevens) names straight without referencing them every time.

mmace1

Enlightened
mmace1 , Have you thought about a custom light? Jason of "Prometheus Lights " built my first light for me after I joined the forum. I knew virtually nothing about led lights and He guided me through the whole process. Check out His website @ darksucks.com and His "forum "Darksucks" You can fully customize His lights or start with a readymade at $250. All His lights are exceptionally well and after over a year of daily use I'm stilll 100% satisfied.

Nah, too expensive to me, but thanks for the suggestion, and it's interesting just windows shopping on his site.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
DQG makes a 18650 light. Very small. TIR floody optic. Alum not SS. Very reasonable, too. If you like DGG AAA, you may like this light.