"First Light" review of the Veleno Designs Quantum DD flashlight.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guessing it has to do with the complete package: packaging, coating offered, charger... 44DD was a Ti version without the whole package offering and a different battery.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

creyc

Enlightened
I noticed if I turn very slightly past what looks like the highest output, the light turns off rather abruptly. I'm being quite careful, and turning less than an 1/8th of a turn past high, and only just barely starting to notice any resistance. So I don't feel like I'm crushing the thing, unless it's quite fragile. I wouldn't think you'd have to be extremely delicate approaching full output..

[EDIT] I realized both retaining rings weren't properly tightened down after swapping the pill for one with a Nichia 219 on it. It works fine now, and gets noticeably 'tighter' as I approach full output.

This little light is awesome! :)

Last edited:

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
Mine did that too, in fact I ended up crushing the QTC by twisting too much (I could see the major dent in the QTC when I opened it up). I replaced the QTC with a small magnet so that it always turns on at the highest level, and I find it much more usable now.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
The head on my D2 does not turn past the brightest setting. With just finger pressure it feels to me like the head stops, I have not tried to really crank on it though. I was having problems getting the light to turn on, but I figured that the pill was unthreading, once that was tightened I haven't had any problems.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
I was given one of these by a good friend (fellow flashaholic) a short while ago. I am amazed at this little light. I don't use it a lot (normally carrying at least one EDC with a 14500 and also carry a Malkhoff Wildcat with 2 x 18650's). I put this on the fob (nothing else on the fob before this light) and every time I use this I am amazed. From low to high, it's impressive. I use low quite a bit in the house leaving in the morning going through rooms and this thing is great.

And who doesn't like a trit (my first one ever)?

chorlton

Newly Enlightened
I agree with above remarks that finger-sized lights will never throw. Putting a 20mm optic on one requires entry into another size class. Let's talk power.

My Drake Ti throws better than any xpg aaa light I've got with its tiny optic and r2 emmiter, would be hands down perfect 10180 light if it didn't suffer from PWM!

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
Time to replace the QTC in my first D2. Can anyone tell me what adhesive to use? And what's the magnet do- do I have to deal with that somehow? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.